Romulan Warbird

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Bill Morris, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch Cadet Newbie

I am interested in knowing where the cloaking device is located on the Romulan Warbird. In the schematic that was posted on August 13 2009, 12:05 AM, it shows details of the "cloaking equipment" located on the lower wing, at the bottom of the wing and almost in the center of the ship. Is this where the cloaking device is located?

2. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Isn't there a disrupter inside the big hole up on top and at about dead center. It was used in Contagion to destroy the Iconian Probe.

Here is the disrupter at work:
    [​IMG]

3. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

In that same episode, when they're about to fire photon torpedos, a green light shows up where the left cargo bay is, then when their power is cut off, the light disappears.

4. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

Since Andy Probert was nice enough to weigh in on this, I'm just taking his word for what's really there and what things seen on screen he called production errors. I'm sure the classified Romulan schematics would be totally in agreement with what he told us.

And about the labels, I had to reduce the number of them. I had labels left and right on top originally, but to make a pointer reach the impulse engines as Mr. Probert described them, I had to eliminate the upper-left column of labels, replacing some less-important ones elsewhere with the critical ones taken away from upper left.

Anyway, it's done.

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I for one have no problem with taking "onscreen canon" at less than face value, LCARS, especially when weighed against artist intent.

I mean, are we really supposed to believe that engagements always happen at less than a kilometer, too? Or that deflector screens are opaque to everything--but visual wavelength radiation? Or that the Defiant can size-shift at will?:lol:

6. Captain Crunch

I see you listed the cloaking equipment at the bottom of the ship on this picture. I am interested in where the location of the cloaking device is because I am currently building a model of the Romulan Warbird. I wanted to make the model into a diorama where the Warbird is just starting to engage its cloaking device. I envisioned that it would start at one spot and then spread to the entire ship. Of course within the TV series of The Next Generation the entire ship disappears all at once. It could be done in the model that way be it would be more difficult.

What I would like to know is if the cloaking device was just engaged and you had a very, very high speed camera what would disappear first...the bottom of the ship near the center? The center of the ship both the top and bottom? The top of the ship near the center? The bridge area?

I want to use this information in building my model. I can already use the information which was already discussed such as cargo bays, disruptors, tractor beams, etc.

7. Bill Morris

I see. Mr. Probert could answer better, but I imagine that there's a comprehesive grid of emitters such that the whole ship seems to disappear at the same time. Whether the main central device is at top or bottom wouldn't have anything to do with the visual effect, I suppose. The cloaking devices that have been shown, in fact, were relatively small. no larger than a casket. (Refer to DS9: The Emperor's New Cloak.) Maybe I'm not being very helpful.

And thanks, guys, for the helpful information. All 54 of these things are getting stuffed into a software package for release sometime today. The testers are happy, and the users should be, too.

And thanks, EmperorTiberius, again, for spotting that transposed number on the Saber class schematic a few days ago.

8. Captain Crunch

On the contrary you have been most helpful with the information in the past threads. This information will help me design the model with more detail. The model within the AMT 3-Piece Adversary Set does have some detail but lacks details in others places such as the cargo bays.

I was thinking of how to make the model more interesting. So I decide to set it up as a diorama as the Warbird was starting to go into a cloaking mode. Parts of the ship would be clear and see-through and other parts would remain painted and detailed.

I also intend to use some type of lighting to light up certain parts of the ship. Running wires to the lights will depend on where the cloaking will be because I don't want to run the wires through the clear, see-through areas. This is the reason for my inquiry. I want to be as accurate as possible but I also want it to look good.

If Mr. Probert could answer this it would help me greatly.

9. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

No problem man, keep up the good work

10. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I think it looks great. I'm just irked you found time to do one before me, LCARS. ;)

11. Myasishchev

Whoa, long time no see.:)

12. Bla1n3

Bla1n3 Ensign Newbie

You mean to say that that thing at the head of the Warbird has always been a deflector?

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    ^Si, if you go by artist intent, and for me that counts for a lot.

Good to see you too. :)

14. Bill Morris

Still more Romulan insanity . . .

[​IMG]

15. Myasishchev

Looks very cool! Didn't know you were gonna do a Valdore... will we see a Scimitar at some point? :shifty:

I wonder, are we sure the Rommies are continuing to use the hazardous black hole power plant?

16. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

The Valdore class when compared to the D'Deridex seems more practical and less wasteful when it comes to size/internal volume.

I realize that it has been explained how the Romulans built the D'Deridex's as large as they are in order to intimidate ... but I would surmise that even they had to turn to more practical designs after the war.

17. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never particularly thought the Valdore was a post-war design. Indeed, it has a more Klingon influence to its hull design and layout, which almost implies that it could perhaps be an older design than the D'Deridex.

18. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Klingon influences?

Romulans and Klingons had an exchange of technologies and designs during TOS.
    It's not surprising some ships will have similarities to those of the opposing race, but also doesn't mean the Valdore class (if we can call it that to begin with) is an older design.

It made an appearance years after the war.
    Although it could have been designed and put into production during the war.

19. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just because Nemesis is the only time it showed up, doesn't mean it's brand spanking new.

The NCC-1701 was after all, 20 years old when James T. Kirk first hit the TV screen.

20. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Interestingly enough, the implied exchange of technologies was much more fleshed out in the FASA RPG, with the movie-era BOP actually originating with the Romulans and the Klingons getting a few hulls for their own purposes. Starfleet Command 3 featured a few Romulan ships that had some aesthetic similarities to the BOP design, and seemed to be designed for similar roles in the modern fleet.