Roberto Orci to Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not that I've heard.

The main thing pointing at three movies was that all of the main cast* were under contract from the start for three. I don't know - maybe that's a fairly standard sort of contract for actors getting hired into an already-existing property, with continuation of the job contingent upon the box-office performance of each movie. Or maybe they were contracted for three because the producer deal Paramount offered to Abrams and Bad Robot was for three? (I have no idea about the particulars of the arrangement between J.J. and the studio, really - that's just a wild guess on my part.)

* Pine, Quinto, Saldana, Urban, Pegg and Yelchin

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

That's true about ST09, which is why I'm less harsh on it because I simply shrug it off as an awful film that's a product of the writers strike.

And I don't see why that wouldn't have been dramatically better if they had postponed it to the moment where Kirk looks into Harrison's eyes, thinking of what Spock had been telling him all along and then deciding to do the right thing by arresting him. I think it's important to have Kirk experience the moment rather than simply do what he's told earlier. He discovers it for himself and grows from it. It would even show Spock following Kirk to this very moment because he had confidence that Kirk would make the right decision when faced against it, strengthening their trust in each other. If these are to be the stories of the younger version of the characters growing into the ones we see in TOS, this would be the way to go.

As it is, it feels rushed and compromised because of filmmakers being afraid that Kirk would lose audiences. I understand the desire to try to appeal to as many of the masses as possible, but I don't think they should underestimate audiences.

It was the callousness that bothered me. The characters were smirking when taking that action and it just felt like a total bro moment, that an action film has to have the hero kill the bad guy with a cool attitude or something. That's what James Bond does to hide his inner-disgust, not what should be the heroes in Star Trek.

STID at least attempting (even though I don't think they succeed) at being more thoughtful of such things is what puts it ahead of ST09 for me. The only bit that carries over from that first film is when Uhura's all "go kick his ass!" to some effect, but that's pretty mild.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Kirk changing his mind when he did, rushed or not, was an important moment for Spock, too. Kirk is in the chair and Spock is at his station. They exchange glances. That alone is classic. Then, Spock waits to see if Kirk does the right thing or not. He's staring him down. Again, classic. Kirk changes his position. Spock realizes that his captain is a reasonable person open to other opinions and capable of keeping his emotions from driving his command.

Having it happen the other way is total self-realization for Kirk. The "quicker" way makes a bit more ambivalent and moves the Kirk-Spock relationship, too. Kirk wants the bastard dead, but he knows his first officer is right, too. He relents to the better and less partial judgment of Spock. (He should've done that for Scotty, too, and maybe that's playing on his mind. Is he going to let his emotions cause him to ignore the advice of every officer under him? That could get his crew killed, someday.) Kirk is beginning to learn his responsibilities as a captain are ultimately more important than a personal vendetta. In return, Spock gives him his few moments of trying to beat Harrison senseless even though he surrendered.

Edited to add: To make this more on topic, I think Orci has the characters and their growing professional and personal relationships down very well. Excellent, even. If anything else, that makes me feel he should be fine as the director of the next movie. Like I said, that glance between Kirk and Spock before Kirk changes his mind on the purpose of the mission is classic. Things were said between them in that glance. That takes understanding of the characters and appreciation of how their interactions were presented before in TOS. That scene was directed by Abrams, but it was written by Orci and the others. I would think he'd have the same appreciation and vision of how to present the characters. That's 80 percent of the battle, right there.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  4. Gsam

Gsam Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am a big fan of the triumvirate and just hope to god they give Karl Urban more to do with his character than spout off platitudes. He was an integral part of the unit and helped them become and stay the men they are in TOS. I feel in the last movie he was just a parody of bones. And by that I mean that is how the part is written. As if Spock and Kirk were best buds and he doesn't even exist.

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I simply disagree. I do like their exchange, it feels like a very classic TOS moment with Spock offering to help, but as I said I felt the development was rushed, much like how Kirk's rank changes four times within ten minutes. I feel Kirk should learn for himself as much as he learns from Spock. Another thing is that after having just getting Scotty to resign over the weapons, he then decides right after "okay, I won't use the weapons". It's like the film is on Red Bull and just doesn't want to calm down, as if it's an overreaction to the stagnant/dull nature of later TNG films.

6. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

It coulda went down like this:

Kirk has Khan at gunpoint, and is ready to to pull the trigger on the man who murdered Admiral Pike. But, where he was hell bent on delivering the killing blow to the mass murderer before, he now finds himself awhirl with uncertainty that it is the right thing to do.

Kirk: I shouldn't. It's not the StarFleet way!

Chancellor Palpatine (in the background): Do it!

Kirk fires!

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Once again, nailed it. :techman:

8. xavier

xavier Commander

Hello everyone. I am new here. I have mixed feelings on orci directing. He has a not so great record on rotten tomatoes and he has no directing experience.After how disappointing star trek into darkness was to me. I tend to see star trek 3 with a low expectation. orci's writing, when JJ is not the director is far from great.

Now he is doing both the writing and directing, I fear star trek 3 may have the third movie cause. Superman 3,Xmen 3,spiderman 3,godfather 3,sherk 3 and even star wars 6. Only thing is trek has never been huge at the box office.

If trek 3 is terrible then the film will be a box office failure and may put the franchise near the grave again like nemesis did before JJ brought life back into it with the now classic and forevermore great film that is star trek 2009.

The chances of star trek 3 been great is 45%. I would have said 20% if JJ Abram's is not a producer.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So what are you basing those percentages on? :p

Truth is, none of us here have any idea how it will turn out. Not a one.

10. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I travelled into the future to see if it's any good. But I think I created an alternate timeline, because Matt Damon was Kirk and Ben Affleck was Spock. That can't be right. Wasn't bad though.

Actually we have to wait for Rotten Tomatoes to know if it's good or not. ;)