River Song

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by DAK, Jul 2, 2010.

1. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

Back when River Song first appeared in the Library episodes, I have to admit I found her mostly annoying. I was a bit leery when I found out she'd be coming back this season, but by the end of "Flesh and Stone" I found I actually liked her. By the end of "The Big Bang" she was probably my favorite female character of all time. Someone who can make a Dalek beg for mercy just by telling it her name is OK in my book! And she's brilliant enough to keep up with the Doctor on an intellectual level. The Doctor is certainly warming up to her as well; in "Time of Angels" he couldn't get away from her quick enough, but in that last scene in the garden he actually smiled when he heard her voice. I can't wait to find out who she really is next season. I wouldn't even mind if she did turn out to be the Doctor's wife at some point. At first I was rolling my eyes at the very idea, but if anyone in the universe is a match for the Doctor, River is. Anyone else finding they like her a lot more than they did at first?

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i loved her, now i lust after her as well as loving her.

that black catsuit and those jodpurs! :drool:

3. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I always liked her and think she's a hoot.

4. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I think she's Susan Foreman's grandmother.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It's a space love story

She has a picture of all his faces and he's meeting her in reverse(From death to the beginning) and she's meeting him at odd times.

Next season will be their first encounter and as River said "that's when it all changes"

The Big Bang- River knows its near the end of Amy's time as companion

The time of the angels- River's completed the big bang adventure and has to realize this is the early days of the doctor and Amy.

The way River said "Picnic At Asgard" it seems she has fond memories of that adventure. I'm going to bet that's the first time the Doctor and her meet.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

K. When time was erased, her book lost all it's words. But the book with the TARDIS binding remained which was not contingent on River making or asking for it to be made.

There's some one out there making TARDIS shaped diaries who we have not met yet.

7. tau136

tau136 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

She seems overly deus ex machina; putting Whoverse out of balance.

8. Guy Gardener

Rules are for suckers.

9. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

The way she waggled her eyebrows and said "spoilers!" when he asked her why she was carrying handcuffs, well, I'm looking forward to finding out the deal with the handcuffs and why it always ends that way. :devil:

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The BBC commercial dept maybe?

I have to admit that I hated her in the Library two parter, but she really has grown on me and I have to chime in to agree with Cap...oh my that cat burglar look!

That woman has the sexiest attitude since Servalan.

11. Guy Gardener

After the ballad of Moll flanders (Bodice wearing lesbians.), I was so hooked on the girl that I even watched a couple seasons of ER just to keep in her company...

i was watching the behind the scenes on Blake's Seven. Jackie was saying that he current job (only a few years after the show) was as a nude model at an artists retreat.

Consider it.

The English country side is littered, or possibly riddled with thousands of paintings of the Supreme Commander NAKED.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  12. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

I've always liked her but in the library eps she looks at the dr's eyes saying he's so young. but she would have to be kept in dr who for a lot of series to meet an old him. I gess they'll probably forget the line.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If she's seen all the Doctor's faces, that likely includes the Twelfth and Thirteenth Doctors. In comparison to them, the Tenth Doctor would be very young indeed.

14. Guy Gardener

And we don't know how much time passed between seasons 4 and five since there were no human companions going grey to prove that a few dozen birthday candles might have been added to his impending cakes.

He could have had many adventures with River that we have not seen since 11's reaction to River was hardly that of their second meeting from his perspective as it seemed that he was already sick of her. Sick of her "games" that is.

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, something to consider is that when the Library episodes were written, no one know Tennant would be leaving so soon. He even spoke with Moffat about his plans for the fifth season, while he was considering whether or not to stay. So Moffat probably believed River Song and the Tenth Doctor would meet again. That's probably why the Crash of the Byzantium came first. In fact, that whole litany makes a hell of a lot more sense if we assume that it was the Tenth Doctor at the Byzantium and Asgard. "Going by your face, it's early days for you." Much simpler than the convolutions we have to go through now "Oh, she meant how befuddled he looked." "Oh, she doesn't know precisely which order the Doctor comes in, so she had to guess if he was younger or older than she'd yet seen."

Unfortunately, somebody didn't want to outlast his welcome and threw all that plot seeding out the window. Though, as we always hear, time can be rewritten. Maybe the End of Time was one of those complicated events he's always talking about that can go a number of different ways. In one version, he didn't regenerate, and did season 5 as Ten, regenerating at some other point, and time has now seamlessly compensated around it, leaving only mild continuity errors.

16. The Wormhole

Well, the Doctor does tell Wilf he's 906 in The End of Time. The last time he gave his age was Voyage of the Damned, and he was 903. So The End of Time has to be three years after Voyage of the Damned.

17. The Wormhole

While the implication in the Library episodes as that River had many adventures with the Tenth Doctor, it should be noted that even then she was aware of other incarnations of the Doctor. At the very least, she was aware of regeneration, even warning the Doctor "you could burn out both your hearts, and I'm pretty sure you won't regenerate from that."

18. Guy Gardener

well... that was their last adventure together, so of course they had had a diary worth of adventures together already were she had time to pick up this and that about HER companion.

Then it's not that hard to get her conciousness out of the library and into a new body is it?

19. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Its going to be something really daft, like The Doctor forced to marry River Song in order to escape from some alien of the week. I can just imagine Matt Smith's "Oh crummy" face at the altar.

20. Guy Gardener

And she pulls up the veil to kiss him... BUT IT'S AMY!!!

It couldn't be that simple.

Why the fuck where the Draconians in that fleet hovering over stone henge? We haven't seen them since the 70s. They have no present relevance with the condition of Doctor who, and besides, the Doctor is a Draconian Nobel.

With Gallifrey gone, that's about the only thing you'd get "power-wise" by marrying into his family if she was trying to end around some situation.

Marrying him to avoid execution on Draconia?

"So you're a Draconian Nobel woman now."

"I guess I am."

"In Italian Noble women is: "Donna nobile"."

"Oh?"

"I once had a friend called Donna Nobel. She came to a sad end."

"Really? Tell me about her."

of course the story would be told back to front where he has to go into her past after she fleets out of the certain death scenario and he marries her months or years before she even considers going to draconia.

Timey Wimey.