Rio 2016 Olympics - countdown and discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Kor, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember Lochte at the 2012 games in London, showing up with Sir Patrick Stewart and Simon Pegg in a Funny Or Die video....... The Rio games were not Lochte games, though.....

This incident obviously wasn't Funny Or Die.....

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

My dad was a judge of some of the shooting games (he got it through his work as a defense contractor and because he was a vet), so I got to see a bunch of the events when I was nine. So the LA Games in '84 will always hold a special place for me.
    [​IMG]

3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well **** you Hope Solo, Sweden just made the final !

And with Sweden taking the the wildcard place available because the constituency countries of Great Britain couldn't get their act together and agree to field a united team...

5. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Aye, and a scary one too.

6. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Nice! Derek Drouin takes gold for Canada in the men's high jump with a perfect run. Nailed each jump on the first try, topping out at 2.38 metres and winning the gold. He then tried for the Olympic record, but wasn't able to get that one, but that's just fine. :mallory:

Sad that the women's soccer (football :p) team wasn't able to beat Germany to go to the gold medal match though.

7. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Slightly better. You're learning. :p

The terms of reference for the inquest into our "failure" at these Olympics are getting bigger by the day. Cue the whining about $$$ per medal, better things to do with the money blah blah blah. I'm okay with money going toward people who get off their bums and have a go at genuine international-level competition (instead of the many soft sporting options people pursue here), but perhaps that's just me. I'm sure they'd all like to have done better but that's what happens when you play with the grown-ups rather than mucking around in your back yard (so to speak).

Particularly disappointed for Anna Meares, who deserved better, and poor Kim Mickle. Her injury history is bad enough but dislocating her shoulder mid-throw has to be a new low.

And all possible kudos to Nikki Hamblin and Abbey D’Agostino for their superlative display of sportsmanship. Truly great stuff.

8. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Did like seeing Brazil fall to Sweden yesterday. If Marta and the rest of the Brazilian team (men's as well) put as much energy into playing as they did looking for fouls to be called everytime there was a player in a different colored jersey within 3 yards of them, they might have had a better result.

9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Now German media claims that the whole story was made up due to alcohol. I remember Lochte looking quite shit-faced 2012. Bad boys.... Phelps is obviously not a good role-model......

10. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

:lol: Oh man... those grins to each other as Bolt and De Grasse hit the finish line of the 200m semi final. :lol:

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  11. Gryffindorian

What an interesting twist. According to Matt Lauer who interviewed Lochte, the swimmer maintained that he was robbed but under different circumstances (involving a taxi driver). I'm surprised the Brazilian authorities have detained two of Lochte's pals for questioning; Lochte himself is already back in the U.S.

12. Orac Zen

Priceless. :D

One of the best bits of an Olympics - the gymnasts mucking around and showing off after the competition is over. Great stuff.

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Team GB athlete ROBBED at gunpoint in Rio as officials warn they could impose an 'outright BAN' on British competitors leaving the Olympic Park after dark"

(source)

:wtf:

Kor

15. Gryffindorian

I was listening to the radio this morning, and a "Ron Burgundy" reporter said that Lochte and company had their wallets stolen "by hookers with Adam's apples." :lol: It would be shameful if Lochte and his friends made up the whole story. On the other hand, if indeed they were robbed or accosted, it's unfortunate that Feigen and Bentz are being detained by authorities in Brazil.

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

17. Orac Zen

So Lochte's story was a load of crap. Quelle surprise. What a complete and utter bogan (as we say here, when we're putting it politely).

As for Usain Bolt...wow. Just wow.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

19. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Not entirely unexpected if you saw how empty some of the arenas were for some of the Olympic events. The Paralympics get far less attention.

In other news, Canada came in 4th in the 4x100m men's relay... but then the US got disqualified for an exchange outside of the proper zone, so we got promoted to bronze. Jamaica of course won gold, completing Bolt's "triple-triple" (gold in each of 100m, 200m, and 4x100m in 3 Olympics).

Oh, and the women's "sport formerly known as football" team claimed bronze against the Brazilian team earlier today. So it was a decent day for Canada.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The large number of empty seats is hard to miss, not saying previous games haven't had empty seats but I don't think the previous two games London and Beijing were anywhere near that bad.