Rewriting episodes for the modern day a.k.a how to solve them in 5 minutes

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ianburns252, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

"SCORPION, PART II"... yes, Species 8472 was firing some kind of beam. Looked like a big electric bolt. Consodering their technology is much more advanced than even the Borg, and they came from another realm, I can forgive them having that capability. The Borg were firing what looked like their version of torpedoes, so not a beam weapon. You might have been thinking of the tractor beam they had on Voyager, which tractoring can happen at warp.

In "ENDGAME", the Borg were never at warp. They were in the trabswarp hub, and they were firing torpedo-like shots at Voyager. Beam weapons might work differently in transwarp than normal warp, too. It's never been established.

Ianburns252 likes this.
  2. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All good points - and the sign of someone with much better recall skills than I do!

Nice one mate

Farscape One likes this.
  3. Farscape One

Appreciate that! :techman::beer:

Ianburns252 likes this.
  4. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To put the premise of this thread in reverse for a moment: It occurred to me that there are also some episodes which have resolutions that wouldn't be bought anymore with the current state of technology.

Examples:
    Contagion. A mysterious highly intelligent Iconian computer virus, centuries, possibly untold millennia more advanced than anything the Federation got, has infiltrated Data and the Enterprise. The solution? Reboot the system and everything will be fine ...
    Best of Both Worlds Data and Picard find access to a low-priority and apparently unmonitored pathway that somehow still has unlimited access to the entire system and can be used to plant a devastating command. Today, you would expect a system to be better shielded against that.
    Kirk talking computers into destruction by simply using their own logic against them

Ianburns252 likes this.
  5. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In The Menagerie, Spock subverts the ship’s computer to issued faked official orders. He opens up a computer unit, rigs some wires, makes adjustments, twiddles some components … and plugs small cartridges in and out of slots throughout. Very futuristic for 1966, but absurd for 2022, let alone for the 23rd Century.

I think that this can be explained by rigid security implementations. Spock can’t simply sit at his console and fabricate all of this with a little software hacking, no matter how smart he is. Instead, he has to go into the hardware, bypassing passwords and exploiting weaknesses in some long-forgotten legacy interfaces.(In a modern remake, this would be explained for us.)

(They refer to “computer tapes” at some points in the series. I’d suggest that this is simply jargon, and that “tape” had evolved to refer to any storage device, whether magnetic, optical, molecular and so on.)

6. Ianburns252

I like that idea - nostalgia and convention lead to a number of things even these days using terms for them that are almost legacy terms rather than truly indicative of what they do so could see "tapes" just being what they are called rather than actually meaning what we think of with it

Farscape One and Elder Knight like this.
  7. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah. I figure that the data storage of the future will be based upon hydrogen atoms: ortho-H for "0" and para-H for "1". Or the other way around.

So, one gram of hydrogen would have Avogardro's Number of bits (that's 6.02 x 10^23).

I'll leave the implementation of such to the hardware experts. ;)

8. Farscape One

I've always wondered how Aldea became a legend if they kept themselves cloaked all the time. Or more precisely, how would anyone know what the planet is called and who inhabited it.

9. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Their location was probably known before they actually developed the planetary cloaking field. Then, it went active, and history slowly faded into myth.

Farscape One likes this.
  10. Farscape One

That sounds reasonable.

I have another one. Transporter Code 14 (if memory serves me) from "Captain's Holiday". That could have sure come in handy in many episodes...

11. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I know people that still use the term "tape" as in, to record video, all of the time.

Ianburns252 likes this.
  12. Farscape One

I am one of those people.

Ianburns252 likes this.
  13. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Considering how often my computer crashes just doing things by itself, this never really stretches my credulity. :rommie:

Farscape One likes this.
  14. Phoenix219

I would say that this is already canon - the assumption anyways - that Kirk is just crashing their OS with logic errors. Lower Decks showed that someone rebooted Landru, and it still worked. Nomad had the unfortunate access to destroy itself, and activated the subroutine while still crashing.

15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Not as many as that transporter pattern regeneration technique.

Think about it... say, Marla Aster. She steps on that mine. Crusher knows her wounds are mortal. She says to "initiate transporter regeneration sequence", uses the pattern they got when Marla beamed down, rematerializes her with that pattern. Marla materializes on the pad, having lost nothing but the memory of the away mission, and goes home to Jeremy that night.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  16. Farscape One

Very true. That would have also worked for Tasha Yar, the crew lost in "Lessons", or any others in TNG that were lost on Away Teams. (Which is surprisingly few, in comparison to TOS and the redshirts on Away Teams. That actually means that Riker, who was the one in charge of most Away Teams, did a better job safeguarding his crew than Captain Kirk... or even Picard. I was doing a quick mental check, and most of the crew killed in TNG died ON THE Enterprise: Engineer Singh, security officers in "Heart of Glory", Haskell, 18 crew in "Q Who", several crew in "The High Ground", some engineering crew in "The Best of Both Worlds", the woman who was stuck betwen decks in "In Theory", who knows how many in "Disaster", Lt. Hagler, Bridge security guy in "Descent", and the conn officer in "Genesis". Even Sisko seemed to do a better job at making sure his people stayed alive, at least on the station and the Defiant... in the middle of a war. Hmm... this might be another thread topic.)

17. Ianburns252

Me too

18. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those examples do stick out.
    In 'the sound of the voice' though, I guess it's 'possible' the crew not knowing about the USS Olympia could be explained as a problem of the Defiant being out of real time comms range with Starfleet - though this doesn't make sense because the information about another SF ship should be in the Defiant's database (not requiring live comms link to SF)... and each SF ship has a massive Federation database and most of related SF activities are updated in real time.
    The only time real time updates might be 'suspended' or 'paused' are probably during comms silences, but given the time descrepancy on the Olympia's disappearance, etc., the information would have been available and in Defiant's computers for a long time).

For a SF ship that was seemingly disaptched 8 years ago, SF would have declared the ship officially lost about 2-3 years after the ship was not found (like they did with Voyager)... and given the Defiants crew was pretty much all vested into talking with the Olympia's captain, you'd THINK someone would have checked.

Also, why didn't anyone ask anyone in the episode on what's the stardate? The discrepancy alone would have raised red flags.

There's a supposed 'sloppiness' to a lot of episodes where the technology and information which is readily available simply speaking isn't used at all.
    Given the situations at hand, you wouldn't need to wait for the captain to give the order, but it should really be standard procedure to check up on any information that there might be in the database relating to a given situation.

But everyone just WAITS for the captain to give the order to investigate something, and they just go about their business.

From what we saw, it seems a lot of SF captains are NOT that good at thinking up different possibilities about given situations... even though they should be by now. If it was a new captain, perhaps... but even then, the years they served in SF and the experience they gathered would have likely prompted SOMEONE to be a bit more pro-active.

Ianburns252 likes this.
  19. Ianburns252

This! Just this!

Agreed with everything and exactly my thinking

20. Phoenix219

Its probably fallen out of favor by now completely, but there was awhile when I was young that video game controllers were still "paddles" or "joysticks" to people long after they became d-pad controllers.