Rewatching Blake's 7

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Cally did the same thing, though she was very up and down. She had a growing moral concern with the crews actions, mostly in the third series, but at this stage she was still in her Auron terrorist role.

2. Candlelight

*cough* download helper *cough*

:)

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about :lol:

I like Horizon, even if the brushstrokes are a little broad in places. The idea of Ro being taken away from his people then returned as their leader/Federation puppet is of course a call back to a lot of Imperial strategy across the globe. It does get a bit silly when the crew insist on teleporting down, despite the fact that the people before them vanished, but Avon’s decision not to run does make sense. For all his cold logic he does need people, even if he’d rarely admit it.

Pressure Point is great, even if the scale feels a little small at times, and Kasabi’s conversation with Servalan is chilling. The only silly bit (apart from the crew clambering down the same ladder over and over again ; ) is when Travis throws his strontium grenade, and then he and Servalan run towards where he threw it!) Gan’s death comes out of nowhere, and as has been said Blakes fanaticism is clear to see “I’ve done it!”.

I love Trial, I think it’s brilliant on almost every level, even if the Zil storyline is a trifle silly at times. There’s just so much packed into here, and it’s ironic that whilst Greif is the better Travis, Croucher gets the best Travis episode, and whilst he’s portrayed as a psychopath, a thug and a murderer, he isn’t a moustache twirling villain, and the comments of Trooper Parr (the late, great Kevin Lloyd) indicate an officer that at least had the respect of his men because he didn’t waste troopers. Add to this Travis’ assertion that he’s a product of his training, and frankly he could be any officer, in any war across history. Even Servalan remakes that he’s better than anything she has left.

And this is before we get to Servalan’s machinations, the fallout over Gan’s death and the discussions of the Liberator crew, before Blake encounters and alien and the Liberator launches an attack on Central Command...phew! And there' still time for Avon and Vila to almost steal the show. “Avon’s gadget works!”

As for Gan. I don’t think the show missed him that much, which is a shame, but too often he didn’t get enough to do, and with the limiter in place he was often not much good in any kind of conflict. He was the moral centre of the crew, though I think even from the get go so was Cally to some extent, and the show did miss that, but I think they were right to lose a character, and if they had to lose a character better Gan than any of the others, especially considering the original idea was for Vila to be the one to cop it. B7 without Vila doesn’t bear thinking about!

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally finished watching this series. That last episode was a bit of a mind ****.
    Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone to watch. It's a cult thing so 'I' had to do that. But as a tv show, as a SF series it's not an easy watch.

BTW, Wondering when exactly did Blake regain his full memory?

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, he knew the whole time, he was just being a dick.

6. Candlelight

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thats cruel, funny but cruel!

8. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

9. Candlelight

Gan always had the communications at the back right station, though Dayna/Zen took over that role later.

Jenna/Tarrant had flight duties at the center console.

Vila had weapons front left.

Can't remember what Cally had back left.

Avon front right did whatever the hell he wanted, though he seemed to deal with ship's systems most of the time.

I found it bizarre the force wall was activated at that lone console at front of the octagonal seating; you'd think it would be controlled by one of the others!

10. Candlelight

B07: KILLER

Robert Holmes jumps ship from Doctor Who to deliver this little gem. Who director-turned-actor Morris Barry does a short cameo as Dr Wiler, while Paul Daneman does a good turn as Dr Bellfriar. Fosferon is a well realised colony with lots of sets and background characters. Avon and Vila really start to gel as a double act here. Cally and Jenna are left behind on the ship once again, a progession which would ultimately lead to Sally leaving the show and returning (briefly) to study. A handful of footage from 'Cygnus Alpha' and a rather bizarre leftover special effects shot from 'Space Fall' make an appearance. One small plothole is Blake came into contact with Gambrill, who was infected, yet Blake was not. Blake shows compasion for others in the final scene when he warns everyone off the planet, which goes against his character for episodes like Shadow, Pressure Point or Star One where he doesn't mind if people die en masse...

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The Way Back - Again, I'm struck at how awesome a Pilot this is. It sets the tone for the entire series so well, the extent The Administration will go to, to rid themselves of dangerous Dissidents

Though, with today's Audience, I suspect you need to make it longer (Maybe double episode?), add Space Fall and add background for Jenna, Vila, Avon and Gan to bring in more "stuff" going on, and then those threads can all be brought together with the Shuttle trip (Though, after seeing Blake's Ordeal, Gan's probably isn't necessary, but, I'd like to see Avon's, Jenna's, and Vila's downfalls).

Space Fall - Hmmmm. Right before Blake kicks The Mutiny/Takeover into motion, and he's bargaining with Avon, Avon says he already has an escape plan... I like the idea, that somehow he had pre-arranged for Liberator to be there. He didn't really comment when Blake rattled off what he thought Avon's plan relied upon, so either interpretation is still possible. Avon, does, afterall, arrange for them to meet up with ORAC later on, doesn't he?

Up this weekend, at least the next 4-6 episodes. I'm Not looking forward to Web, but, I seem to remember the rest of those are pretty good

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  12. Candlelight

No, Avon's plan was exactly as Vila suggested; that he reprogramme the flight computers, dump the prisoners, lie that they made it to Cygnus Alpha and pocket the savings.

If this was remade today it would exactly like The Beginning, with the first four episodes compressed into a two-hour premiere. I would agree they would flesh out the backstories of all six regulars, but I doubt we would see Cygnus Alpha; the story would likely be set entirely in space, Cally would be a fellow prisoner and the episode would climax with a space battle with the Liberator taking on a fleet of pursuit ships.

13. Candlelight

B08: HOSTAGE

Allan Prior again, but this time the saving graces of Horizon don't rub off here. The story is convoluted (Avon calls Servalan to get her to Exbar for what can only be described as an extremely weak excuse, and ultimately designed as a boring way to get Servalan and Travis back together, despite leaving on fairly iffy terms two episodes earlier) and plot holed (what was the point of Ushton limping and then not limping??), some aspects are down right dodgy (Blake fancies his cousin???), and then there's the Crimo's who appear to be butch versions of the Mutoids (who wear blonde wigs in this episode??), and who are just as useless. A re-use of the death of Vargas from 'Cygnus Alpha' again too.

Pity, as the episode starts out so well with the largest space battle on the show to date.

14. Candlelight

15. Sindatur

Someone (AuntieHill?) previously posted a Youtube Video of Avon/Blake romantic moments

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^They weren't romantic moments, for Christ's sake; they were important scenes from the show about their friendship/antagonism. :scream::scream::scream:

Anyone who sees their relationship as "slash" is totally misreading the show. Their relationship--respect/friendship/loyalty/hate/trust/betrayal--is at the heart of the show, IMO. It's tragic, if anything.

Anyway, I found this on youtube and thought it was a well-made video. It's not slash, FFS. I think it's actually very sad.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY[/yt]

17. Sindatur

Sorry for any offense. That is an awesome Video, and I agree with you. I was thinking of another video someone posted (Also using some of those scenes) that extended the long looks, making it appear more romantic. Maybe remembering you posting this awesome video, made me misremember you posting the other one :alienblush:

18. auntiehill

Ah. I was wondering how someone would connect those two things.....

I also posted a video about Avon & Cally. That one DID have some "long, lingering looks," but there was indeed a glimmer of that in the show in "Sarcophagus", so that one actually worked, I thought.
    It's this one:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4tMdNrYlUk[/yt]

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The only probably with Killer is the wardrobe in use on the colony. Other than that (and Jenna/Cally being sidelined) it's really good.

Hostage is a bit pointless. I think the reason for Blake's uncle's limp is that he uses it to give him the excuse not to go up the hill with Blake. Definitely one of the more forgettable eps, but no show is perfect.

20. auntiehill

"Killer" has the worst costumes. First of all, Avon and Villa are wearing trash bags--more than a little distracting. And then there's the random footage of the fire squad, who look like--well, the kindest, least vulgar description would be Michelin men and manta rays. It's unfortunate, because I think the story is really quite good. We get a glimpse of normal, decent Federation people alongside the villain, great moments with Avon & Vila, tidbits of Avon's backstory, etc.