Revisiting the DS9 Tech Manual: Internal Deck Structures

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by DEWLine, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That's fair. I always liked to think the ore arrived at the upper or lower pylon, made its way down (or up) until the product was packaged and stored in the cargo bays in the docking ring for export.

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you!

3. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

TEST:

@137th Gebirg, @137th Gebirg.

How many alerts did you get?

137th Gebirg likes this.
  4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Just one. Mystery solved! :techman:

publiusr and Henoch like this.
  5. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've read a few tons of messages over the years about scales and sizes and such, and all I can really say about the DS9 station is that the 1451.82m (~4763') diameter was to me an acceptable compromise between the arbitrary 5280 feet used by the VFX folks and the original ~3600' that I started with for the miniature blueprints. Even over the course of the 3-4 seasons that I was on the show, there was really no time to flesh out everything with precise measurements, and the DS9TM was basically an attempt to simply get things sorta kinda believable and entertaining in the time we had on the manuscript. If folks have questions about where things are located or how things worked in-universe, I don't have a whole lot of answers after ~30 years, but I certainly invite the faithful to play in the sandbox and come up with smart solutions. - Rick

DSG2k, Tosk, DonIago and 5 others like this.
  6. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rick has spoken. "Sorta kinda believable and entertaining" Don't overthink. And yes, I do scale models. Feel free to play in the sandbox.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    somebuddyX likes this.
  7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Thank you Rick. I would love to see more Chronology art if you get them out of storage.

8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I got the new DS9 handbook the other day, and I have to admit I chuckled at some things. The section on the Defiant, which seems partly based on the descriptions in the DS9 Technical Manual, still doesn't have a consistent description of the ship's armaments. :rommie: The text and the diagram labelings don't really match up. The nose of the Defiant is still described as being a warhead, with as many as five possible torpedo launchers if one goes by the diagram labeling. A few of the labels are clearly errors, as the starboard view has a part of the forward wing labeled as an impulse engine.

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Sounds like you don't have a very high overall impression of the book? DS9 being my favorite Trek series, I had my eyes on it.

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

No, I find it okay. ;) I'm just amused that the section on the Defiant still has some of the same confusion, and I've seen a few other things that are unintentionally funny. But I do wish some of the labeling errors on the illustrations had been avoided, since it wouldn't have been difficult to do. I personally rather like the nose warhead idea, but I understand it's something that was never referenced in the show. IIRC, the original DS9 TM was the first reference to it.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Isn't the Defiant's nose where the mess hall was? I somehow remember that when the faulty torpedo crashed through the wall with Quark and Zephram Cochralien.

12. DEWLine

I am not surprised, because Starfleet Intelligence disinformation counter-measures. Defiant was a wartime project. :)

Timo likes this.
  13. DEWLine

The mess hall is one of the half-ring of compartments between the "nose" and the bridge, I think...?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. Since the mess hall and sickbay are the same set, we need two locations, and the round cheeks of the main hull, inboard of the triangular torpedo thingamabobs, appear appropriate.

As for the bow, giant warheads never worked against the Borg. The only thing that ever did was boarding. And the Defiant needs a boarding system at the bow, in order to interface with DS9. The MSD shows an airlock tube of sorts there - but the exterior has no central opening for it. It does have two parallel panels, though... So perhaps Starfleet decided to convert the initial detaching-warhead bow into a breaching pod, with two side-by-side docking tubules that slide out from underneath hinged panels to deviously inject human-sized "nanoprobes" into Borg Cubes? :devil:

Timo Saloniemi

15. DEWLine

Yep, parallel boarding tubes. And DS9 itself likely had one of its docking ring ports customized to fit that set-up.

16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

QuinnTV, DEWLine and Timo like this.
  17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...FWIW, the floor has a branching line pattern, one branch going to the visible starboard docking tube, one symmetrically going to the spot where the port one would be. Or then to a head or a broom closet or whatever.

The impulse engines of the bow pod are definitely there, just as in the floor-by-floor plan that ended up in the TM, and in other views as well. It would have been nice to draw some sort of a piloting station there to more blatantly suggest independent flight capacity.

Timo Saloniemi

18. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always like to take a look at the model and see if it lends itself to anything. The Defiant model has a panel on the nose that would be perfect for a hatch covering an airlock. It lines up with the deck layout.

19. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

It’s clear from Doug Drexler’s starboard elevation interior and deck plans that the Defiant has two side-by-side airlocks on Deck 3, just above the deflector. Unless there is a contradiction with the interior corridors as shown in a scene, I don’t see a better reference than these DS9TM schematics, which were also reused for consoles in Seasons 6 and 7. This wouldn’t stop a future production from altering the layout, of course, but we do have an exact interpretation.

20. DEWLine

Revisiting the p.15 scale drawing of the Enterprise-D, Defiant 74656 and DS9 together, I can certainly believe that each pylon "rises" or "falls" 126 decks in each "direction". I wonder what the view from inside Ops would have been of the upper pylons.