Revealing interview with Wilson Cruz, Blu del Barrio, and Anthony Rapp about season 4

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Char Kais, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

God forbid I ever get interviewed about anything serious in life and all people can see is a transcript of it, because I can stumble big-time in front of the camera.

"I think, you know, I do believe in climate change, yeah, uh, huh."

BREAKING: QUINTON, AN IDIOT, IS A CLIMATE CHANGE DENIER.

XCV330, ToddCam, Midquest and 5 others like this.
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, just remembering some job interviews I've had.
    "Why do you want to work for this company?"
    "Because you're hiring and I need a job."
    No, I didn't get hired.

Quinton and Lord Garth like this.
  3. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Youtube videos about how Quinton is cancelled every season.

Quinton likes this.
  4. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

;_;

5. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

You'll be infamous!

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Expecting actors to have a super-fan level of knowledge about their characters is petty, or at best kind of misunderstands their function. They're actors, not the writers, nor the show runners. Some of them might get more involved in their characters than others.

As far as comms officer, considering all the communications equipment, and the hundreds of people employed keeping a starship running, yes there probably always is a comms officer, probably several as was shown in the Abram's movies. They're not all senior staff, and often not on bridge, sometimes perhaps never.

8. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No. You were wrong and called an accurate post BS, and just don't have the grace to admit it. And now are trying to backtrack. Words have meanings.

There is a difference between having a dedicated officer/spot on the bridge for a person whose main (virtually sole) area of responsibility is communication; and folding communications into a broader array of responsibilities for someone (Ops, Engineering, Security).

The former setup is called a communications officer. And we have had this twice that I can remember. As others have said, Uhura on TOS and Sato on ENT.

The latter is what appears to be the case on TNG, DS9, VOY, & DISCO. Cannot remember if there was a hologram for communications on Picard, but that isn't a Starfleet ship anyway, nor is Prodigy.

Now, admittedly, it does not make a ton of sense for Disco to NOT have one while ENT & TOS did, in terms of the timeline. I guess DISCO is more of a specialty vessel (science ship testing new drive during a war), rather than the flagship boldly going.

Of course, from a show running/character perspective, a communications officer does not make for a terribly good role. Nichelle Nichols wanted to leave TOS because all she did was open a channel & repeat what Kirk said. Not exactly riveting stuff. Giving the character more resposibilities opens things up more in terms of dialog & usage of the character.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Fans put way more time, energy and thought in these characters and world, largely because they can afford that luxury.
    Indeed. Given the amount of information potentially relayed through communications having a dedicated team makes sense, even if on screen drama is minimized.

XCV330 and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  10. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Byce is communications officer in DIscovery. Mudd even called him "Random communications officer man"
    Shezhou had one too. There were others shown. Not going to dragnet Mem Alpha for them all, but the role still existed in the TNG era, shows up in one of the later episodes.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

No. Don't try to read my mind. My point was there's always been an officer who handles Communication.

What did I say that's worth you typing a novel? This is ridiculous. I'm not going to get into a protracted argument that's splitting hairs. I'm not in a court, so stop treating me as if I am.

12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Don't you know by now that we're all in the Court of Fools here. ;)

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

True.

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

You're placing too much emphasis on what the actors know. This is just a job to them. Most actors aren't superfans of the franchises they work on like we are.

Marlon Brando, widely considered one of the greatest actors of all time, frequently didn't like to memorize his lines because he felt he gave a more spontaneous performance when he read the lines off of cue cards on the spot. So in The Godfather, actors with their backs to the camera like Robert Duvall would have to wear handwritten cue cards taped to their chest for him to read from. Baby Kal-El's nappy/cape in Superman also had cue cards taped to it. Brando probably couldn't tell you the first thing about Jor-El or Don Corleone's backstory, but did that make his performance any less compelling or the movie any less entertaining?

[​IMG]