Resistance! A Review.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Vic Sixx, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Vic Sixx

Vic Sixx Commodore Commodore

Hi, finally thought to pick it up and read it. I liked it. What I found interesting is the villain in the story is not really the borg but Janeway. She's portrayed as a total bitch. Her insistance that Picard sit and wait for 7 of 9 to arrive is ridiculous, and not something to get court-martialed over.

In what book did Picard and Crusher become a actual having sex couple? I must have missed it.

The solution and the sub-plot are very good. If the borg are sex-less how do you explain 7 of 9? How much of her did the Holo-Doc have to create out of nothing? Could he have made her a Male? Does that mean Picard has no penis? Did Beverly have to make him one? Or did she just go get that strap-on plastic thing from her nightstand and attach that to him?

I like the Vulcan conselor, I like her better than Deanna actually. All in all not bad, I liked the book.

2. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Death in Winter, by Michael Jan Friedman. Unfortunately, you didn't miss all that much.

I've always thought that the Borg are considered 'sexless' because they don't reproduce sexually. All assilimated individuals retain their physiological sex (male, female, neuter, chan, shen, etc.) but to a drone that is as irrelevant a consideration as their species; they are all simply Borg.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This discrepancy is addressed in Greater Than the Sum. As that book codifies it, there are two types of Borg drones -- the incubated ones with no prior identity, which is the kind mostly seen in TNG (remember in "Q Who" we saw a baby drone being grown in an incubator), and the assimilated ones seen mostly in First Contact and Voyager (but also including Locutus, of course). It's the incubated kind that are sexless.

4. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

Keep reading, it gets better. Q&A is marvoulous. Before Dishonor is okay and Greater Than The Sum answers all your questions regarding the borg, the borg resistance, procreation and cluster entities (and by that, is brilliant)

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

and the anomalous behaviour of certain characters between "Q&A" and "Before Dishonour"

well played, CLB, well played.