Reorganizing Starfleet

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Garrowolf, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrowolf

Garrowolf Ensign Newbie

I am working on a series of fanfictions and I want to reorganize Starfleet. So far I have Starfleet set up like this:

Starfleet Divisions
    Exploratory Operations (XO) – They use the standard star trek cruisers. They are not set up in specific sectors like SO. They are set up based on whatever issues and areas are important at the time. Starfleet Exploratory Operations is housed on Earth.

Strategic Operations (SO) – This is the Starfleet military, they have huge capitol ships. This is housed on Andoria.
    Intelligence – they have some specialized ships but they mostly work with Strategic operations

Emergency Operations (EO) – They have a fleet focused on medical ships and engineering
    Corp of Engineers – Repair/recovery, housed on Bolias
    Medical – Dealing with massive illnesses and cross species illnesses. This is housed on Denobula.

Logistical Operations (LO) – They handle supply, freighters, general transport, and Starbases. This is housed on Tellar.

Now I have an idea that different groups would do rotations through other services such as Security and Command doing a rotation through Strategic Operations, Operations doing a rotation through Emergency Operations, Doctors would do a rotation through Starfleet Medical, etc. But also make it so that maybe ensigns have to do a rotation through all of them. I was thinking that Logistical Operations would be a good place to learn ship handling.

This would mean that some services would have more lower ranks and some would have higher. For example ships with Exploritory Services would need to be staffed with more experienced crews so they would probably have more Lt. and almost no Ltjg or Ensigns. Also the NCOs would be of higher rank on XO ships than on other services.

I was thinking that they would want a Captain of Strategic Operations to have experience in Exploritory Operations so that they would have more experience with unusual situations and strange aliens.

Basically I was thinking that before they hit Admiral they should have served in each one of the services twice.

I am trying to work out more details but does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for this?

2. Garrowolf

Garrowolf Ensign Newbie

Maybe even have three rotations:

1st rotation: ensign - Lt
    2nd rotation: Lt Com-Com
    3rd rotation: Capt-Commadore

Each rank may take a couple of years. You can stay someplace if you like it but your promotions with stop once you max out for that rotation. So if you really like Starfleet Medical within your first rotation then you would max out at LT and stay there. This could be fine for a lot of people who don't want the greater responsibility. Within Starfleet Medical you could do a lot of different things but you couldn't get a promotion.

NCOs may do it differently. Maybe only one rotation for top end NCOs. Otherwise they stay with one branch. They get more specific knowledge of an area but the officers get more general experience.

3. vorador33

vorador33 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't think you’re supposed to post fan fic ideas in this forum

4. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Yep. We do have a fan fiction forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.