Reimagining TNG

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Valenti, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

The word Kelvin makes me sick. Think out of the box - new and original. I know that even Star Trek wasn't original - Forbidden Planet?

STEPhon IT likes this.
  2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Different how? If you provided some thoughts then it would give us some context for a 'reimagining' that had nothing to do with the NuTrek or STD universes.

3. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

"Forbidden Planet" is a masterpiece but it's just one movie. However, I don't see what Star Trek did that was ripped off from it, aside from the idea of travelling through space at speeds faster than light.

4. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they are going to do something based around or inspired by TNG (which they probably will soon enough when the well runs dry), I'd rather they make it a FULL- Trek reboot. A completely re-imagining of Trek grounded in modern science.

Avoid all these humanoid species (forehead aliens), because it is nearly impossible life on other worlds to resemble primate humans so similarly. We have CGI and better prosthetics now, so we can do more things with alien life.

I would like to see more reptilian aliens. If not for the comet that hit Earth, reptilians would be the dominant species on this planet and there would be no modern humanoids. So it's really weird that thousands of other planets in Trek evolved humanoids similar to Earth.

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It makes sense though I am not sure people would relate to non-humanoid species the way they do to humanoid ones. It's likely that most of them wouldn't have identifying expressions on their faces, nay possess something that we could call a face. Also if we were realistic there'd be no such thing as a universal translator that would make it appear like five or six different species in a room would all speak the same language (how the hell does that even work?).

6. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

It doesn't work.

7. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

Submarining another conceptual series thematic arc into the Trek format. A series within a series.

8. Bry_Sinclair

... that's about as clear as mud :confused:

9. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

To boldly go into it's own separate universe is something that I would respect greatly - no nothin', just a blank slate except that it takes place after TOS.

10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Do you mean something more realistic, more scientific?

11. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

No, just another separate continuity, if possible of it's own.

12. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh... where's the NX-01??? Archer and crew must have wiped themselves out of existence or they're they should be appropriately put into the JJverse.

13. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

The Mandela effect. They keep going in an out of reality. Depends on who keeps changing the universe continuity - the prop master?

14. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've thought Chris Pine has done a very good job in NuTrek, but I think Paul Walker would have been even better.

I still have trouble wrapping my mind around what happened to him. :(

I almost wish it could have been something like 'Freejack' and he's safe in the future somewhere....

15. Bry_Sinclair

So you're talking about a Trek reboot that starts with an original ship and crew then, so not just a remake of TNG. I get it now, the "reimagining TNG" threw me.

I'd be more interested in something like that than someone failing to redo TNG. Given the crap treatment Trek has received in recent years then a hard reboot would be the best way to go, especially if they made it new and unique from square two (I'd let them off with having a ship named Enterprise).

16. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

Give Enterprise a break. Reimagining something Star Trek after Star Trek TOS.