Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire (Zack Snyder, Dec. 22 on Netflix)

I never knew Battle Beyond the Stars was held in such high regard.

In the cult sense of the word, I guess. It's cheesy but entertaining. It's seminal in its way -- James Cameron's first feature film work (as FX director of photography and art director), James Horner's first sci-fi score, one of John Sayles's earliest scripts, heavy use of the Modern Props consoles and set pieces that became iconic in 1980s productions.

Plus, of course, Nell the Boobship.
nell-05.jpg

I came to this thread late and fear I am treading on an old topic, but....

is anyone else waiting for the director's cut? This doesn't seem like a movie that's good enough to watch twice, so why not watch the definitive version? Snyder director's cuts always seem better than the theatricals IMO.

is anyone else waiting for the director's cut? This doesn't seem like a movie that's good enough to watch twice, so why not watch the definitive version? Snyder director's cuts always seem better than the theatricals IMO.
Yup.

Figure I'll just burn through this when it's all out there, rather than the split part thing. Let's me plan ahead too.

Is that how the director's cut will work? They'll combine the two parts along with deleted scenes?
That's my understanding but that is limited information.

Regardless, since there is a part 2 for sure I figure I'll wait and watch it all together. Vs. Dune which was not guaranteed a Part 2.

That's my understanding but that is limited information.

Regardless, since there is a part 2 for sure I figure I'll wait and watch it all together. Vs. Dune which was not guaranteed a Part 2.
In the Zaslav era nothing is guaranteed anymore. Renewed shows get cancelled, completed movies get trashed, and all kinds of other madness.

I came to this thread late and fear I am treading on an old topic, but....

How is one called a theatrical cut when it was never in the theatre and also, still Snyder's cut?

So am I the only person who quite enjoyed this movie? (Ducks)

No doubt in part this was due to the triumph of low expectations. But I had the house (and tv) to myself last night and wanted to watch something that I knew my wife wouldn’t want to watch (in fact she would hate it). So I whacked it on, being well aware of the poor reviews and word of mouth. But I wanted something dumb that I would feast my eyes on, while my brain took the night off.

And, it did just that. Yes, it was so derivative of Seven Samurai that Snyder didn’t even bother coming up with anything new, just rehashed the grain plot line. Grain. In space. Anyway. And we got all the usual Zack slomo and cast who look like they were carved by a renaissance sculptor.

Charlie Hunnan’s quasi-Belfast accent has been getting much debate over here (not sure if he wanted to prove that he could do a better one than the Sons of Anarchy IRA men, if he just liked the accent after filming here a few years ago or if Zack remembered Jamie Dornan’s Man of Steel audition) but I thought it wasn’t too bad. I’m also a bit more tolerant of fantasy/space-Irish accents (mark sheppard in BSG, the not-hobbits in Amazon’s LOTR) than the bad ones in eg the aforesaid Sons of Anarchy. And then we got a real Norn Iron accent at the very end! (Insert Zack Snyder “mind blown” gif here).

Anyway, feck it, it entertained me. I rewatched Battle Beyond the Stars during lockdown and really enjoyed it. I don’t think I will rewatch this 40 years after first seeing it, but I will definitely watch the sequel.

Does this make me a Snyder Stan?

Back