Re-Imagined K'tinga/D7

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by REL, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Commodore

Whoa, that looks incredible? When you're finished with it, do you mind if I build a 3D version? I think this would would great against the New Enterprise. :)

2. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind comments.

MadMan1701A that would be fine with me, when the model is complete I'll take ortho pictures.

To someone that asked the design process, I just drew a quick sketch, but for the most part I'm making it up as I go with no plans, haha.

To answer the questions of what it's made of. It's sheet styrene over a plexiglass frame.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

This ^.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Stunning as always. Nice to see you took a unique path and didn't go for a Vor Cha take.

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy Damn.

I like how you played off of the manta ray looks of the original Jefferies design, and made it nice and sleek, like the original D7.

6. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

today... is a good day to pwn righteously.

7. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

This is awesome!

8. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a minor suggestion for when you get down the road a piece with this:

One of the more interesting choices Nick Meyer made in ST6 was that the Klingons were the kind of guys who'd take bits and pieces of captured/destroyed enemy vessels and mount them on the exterior of the ship. It was essentially invisible in the film, but to be honest, I thought it made a lot of sense. Sort of like fighter pilots "keeping score" on the exterior of their aircraft -- only with a more Klingon feel to it.

Anyway, something to think about. It may not work with this design.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty remarkable all around. :techman:

10. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

This is some impressive work!! :D

11. LordSarvain

LordSarvain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Even under construction that looks freakin awesome, can't wait to see the finished piece!

12. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Commodore

Awesome. Can't wait. :)

13. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. Very cool. :techman:

14. Sam McCord

Sam McCord Lieutenant Commander

REL, this is beyond awesome... any chance you could send me some orthos too, when you're done? I'd like to draw up a nice set of 2D plans of this baby in Illustrator, if you'd be cool with that.

15. brandomack

brandomack Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi Rich,

are you planning on kitting this baby once its done?

Brandon

16. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

I'm with Ro on this one: I think you may have finally addressed the single most prevalent design flaw in the otherwise perfect Matt Jefferies Klingon battle cruiser design: Sever its pencil-thin neck and it's toast.

What I'm looking forward to finding out is how you bring back the mean, menacing, cruel look to this otherwise sleek and elegant vessel. One of the other signature features of the original design is the pointed "shoulders," almost like bat's wings superimposed on a manta ray. Usually Klingon designs are portrayed a little "raw" and unrefined; yours is as sleek and sophisticated (so far) as any 24th century Federation vessel. I can see from the pieces of the Bird of Prey model in the background of your first photo that you know from experience what I'm talking about. If you can pull this off, you'll have several fan film producers flooding your e-mail inbox, I can assure you.

DF "Dear V'Ger: It's Payback Time!" Scott

17. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

Thank you for all the feedback.

I know the design right now looks sort of Federation'ish, but I plan on adding hull plating and the nacelles will look pretty vicious.

I reworked the top structure a little, lengthened it and added more detail. It has two shuttlebay doors. I also removed the blended rear, straight wing and extended it to compensate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When it's all finished I'll take orthos and post them here for anyone to use.

18. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

It's beyond the point where I can mold it now. It's a project that kind of spontaneously happened, so it won't be a kit. Sorry about that.

19. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

Beautiful work, as always.

It kind of makes me think of what the Vor'Cha (Next Gen Battle Cruiser) might develop into as the Klingons incorporate more Federation technology into their ships. Also, I'm guessing by those turrets that this is intended to be a pretty good-sized ship.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I could have had a D-8! (Actualy liked the blended version)