R.I.P. Christopher Plummer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Warped9, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

RIP.

Like I said in another thread, it makes me want to watch The Sound of Music more than ever now. It's what he's most famous for, but I've never actually seen it.

2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Here are his best scenes from KA (unlinked to preserve time codes):

How he lost his eye
    youtu.be/BJ99SmAX3os?t=75

What the Klingon symbol means
    youtube.com/watch?v=Ni9ky1ewqiY

Gorkon and Chang
    youtube.com/watch?v=UW8OB8O2khI

And that end is really powerful today!
    youtu.be/FYH0DYbHets?t=494

TheAlmanac and StarCruiser like this.
  3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Spock's words in VI seem appropriate... "All things end..." Rest in Peace, Mr. Plummer.

4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

"I go to the undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveler returns."

That was the last day I ever saw General Chang. And despite what came afterwards, I have never forgotten what he taught me.
    Today, when I am asked what became of him, I gladly sit upon the ground, and tell sad tales... of the death of kings.

(Klingon Academy)

5. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

I like this tribute edit

StarCruiser likes this.
  6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

They were more than contemporaries. Shatner was Plummer’s understudy on Henry V.

Kor, Redshirt214, diankra and 6 others like this.
  7. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was fun. I've never seen those. Thanks for posting. Although, I must admit that I don't like their explanation for the eyepatch. I thought that was supposed to be something that showed how hard a life Chang had lived, and how impervious to pain he was to have it screwed into his skull. It kind of takes the wind out of the sails by saying he got the patch immediately prior to TUC, in some minor "honor" scuffle with an unknown Klingon captain.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  8. FanOfDS9

FanOfDS9 Cadet Newbie

I loved his portrayal of Chang in Undiscovered. But his scene at the Klingon Academy game, however, seemed a bit flippant and casual - I would have preferred him to be more rigid and not wave his hands. Still, I loved his work, and I hope he continues to act in the great theatre in the sky.

StarCruiser likes this.
  9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

And the story of Plummer, Shatner, and Henry V is awesome, if you've not heard it. :)

Plummer was a bit notorious with the ladies, and a vigorous one-night stand somehow dislodged a kidney stone in Plummer, leaving him in excruciating pain so intense that he was hospitalized and doped to the gills with morphine. When people from the Stratford Festival let Plummer know that his understudy Shatner would be performing in his stead, Plummer was determined to escape the hospital but he didn't even reach the door before 1) even more excruciating pain and 2) more morphine.

Shatner's performance was considered a triumph. Whatever Plummer had done, Shatner did the opposite. If Plummer had delivered a speech standing up, Shatner delivered it while sitting. If Plummer shouted, Shatner whispered. Shatner felt that this was the moment when he became an actor, and Plummer said, paraphrasing from memory, "I knew that son of a bitch was going to be a star."

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^I don't know whether this is a true story, but it's certainly a great story. :)

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Having had a kidney stone recently, I can confirm the pain. In my case, it went past the hydromorphone and it took a few doses of fentanyl before the pain dropped to a 7 from a 10! I can hear Mr. Plummer saying, "I must simply get to the stage... OH BLOODY HELL!" Kidney stones are no joke.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  12. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I can imagine that working to a certain extent, intentionally playing Henry differently, but I struggle to picture a rousing speech like Harfleur or St. Crispin's Day being delivered effectively from a seated position.

13. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On a humorous note, I recall Plummer had to fight really hard for Chang to get to be bald. Then, almost 30 years later in Discovery, all Klingons were bald! :lol: The man was ahead of his time. ;)

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chang was the best and inspired more modern Klingons. Even more reason to be grateful to the man.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  15. Brer79

Brer79 Ensign Newbie

He was in my top ten actors for sure.
    Rest well..

16. Kahn Noonian Plissken

Kahn Noonian Plissken Ensign Newbie

Willian Shatner,Chris Plummer and Glen Ford all lived on the same street same block in the NDG neighborhood in Montreal