Questions about Star Trek VHS Prints

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ClassicTVMan81, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm going to revive this old thread because I've just recently acquired, after years of searching, a 16mm copy of "The Immunity Syndrome" with the fabled Paramount rising circle logo and the Desilu music!

It is this logo (not my picture) with the music from the clip I linked to earlier in the thread.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8474/paramounttelevisionlogo.png

2. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's threads like this that really make me wish we had a truly accurate presentation of the series on Blu-Ray and DVD. All of this information is being lost to time. I'd love to have all the episodes with the correct credits in the first season, logos, network tags and billboards, previews as they were (if the "NEXT WEEK" clips still exist), the truly accurate sound mix included and production company logos intact. True "night of broadcast" prints. I'd be thrilled.

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, tbh I've always thought that the people who create home video releases on TV shows undervalue just how much their target audience wants 'the real thing' as originally broadcast. In the very early days of home video for example, it wasn't uncommon for TV shows (those that got released on video, anyway) to be edited into a single "movie length" presentation, because the distributors figured that on home video as a medium, people were going to watch right through the tape anyway instead of having to wait a week for the next instalment -- which I think was a misunderstanding of the audience's want to have the episodes as presented originally, tops and tails intact, and even ad-caps at the fade outs where applicable.

On the opposing side of the argument however is the issue of broadcast order vs production order. The current tack is to present the episodes in the original broadcast order, so Season One always opens with The Man Trap, etc. Whereas for years, the tapes opted for production order instead, and there are many fans who will defend the production order as the most pure way to present the episodes. So, the issue is very much a two-sided coin. :)

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm sure CBS will sell us an extra special Blu-ray set with the episodes in production order for the 50th Anniversary. All for just $99.95 per season! :lol:

6. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

The Twilight Zone DVD set it very good about maintaining original broadcast integrity. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they have the original soundtrack in all cases, and also include ad bumpers. The special features are full of promo materials and vintage interviews. It's great.

7. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm just curious, was this a syndication print or a NBC print? (I'm guessing the former.)

8. Lance

:techman: I'm very much a fan of TV shows on DVD including the full ad bumpers and such. Yes, I know they're technically irrelevant, but I love seeing them there all the same for nostalgic reasons (and also because they're one of those things that syndicators tend to chop off, so they're a nice indicator that something is 'complete and intact'). Some episodes of The Real Ghostbusters on DVD included them as well. :)

9. Ssosmcin

The only issue with the Twilight Zone DVD and BD release is that they include the Bernard Herrmann theme throughout the entire first season. However, the more famous Marius Constant theme was introduced around 2/3 of the way in. The home video version introduces it in the second season. Unless, of course, it was wrong in syndication and it was corrected for home video....

10. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I bought The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy on double VHS back in the day, the first 3 and the second 3 episodes had all been edited back to back, which I found incredibly convenient to watch as it was an ongoing storyline. In fact, throughout the 80's and 90's I would often follow this practise for other serialised television - classic Dr Who, for example. For other TV series (such as Star Trek) this technique is less effective, and it was always a bit of a shame to lose the endcaps of an episode (even though I would invariably fastforward through them).

Fortunately, with "seamless branching" on BluRay it should be possible to have it both ways, right?

11. Ssosmcin

Yup. It would be possible on regular DVD as well. You can choose to watch the previews on the Hawaii Five-O DVDs...or not. Other shows have the option to watch with or without network extras. I would have thought Star Trek would be important enough in TV history to warrant prime treatment.

12. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Dalen Quaice, would you know what was the source of the TOS laserdics (double episode / transporter pad cover) released from 1985 to '89?

13. Ssosmcin

Good lord, where were such great copies of that unearthed? It's not on the Blu-Rays and the Norway Productions makes it Trek, as opposed to Mission Impossible or Here's Lucy.

14. erastus25

You'll probably love this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3D_CoJ-Bc

I really wish more recordings of the original broadcasts existed. I'd LOVE to watch them with all the authentic commercials, local news ads, network show ads, etc... Alas, much of that is almost certainly lost to time. Oh well.

I believe diehard fans have debated that point (are the DVDs "right" and syndication "wrong" or vice versa...) a great deal with no real consensus. I'm working off memory here, though, so I could be 100% wrong.

15. Ssosmcin

I can absolutely believe that there were alterations for syndication. Once Paramount reissued Trek in the 80's, the entire first season had the "Cello" theme recorded by Fred Steiner in place of the electric violin theme, with the exception of Where No Man Has Gone Before. And the "created by" credit in the opening used in The Man Trap and Charlie X was replaced with the standardized first season credits. When the DVDs came out, the first 10 episodes had the theme restored, but since they were in production order, this wasn't accurate either. And the end credit theme was never restored. My point being, changes were made for syndication pretty often, so I can believe TZ might be accurate on DVD and BD now.

16. erastus25

I get the impression that unless someone actually produces audio recordings of the original broadcasts (maybe someone has?) we'll never know.

17. Lance

:techman: Terrific stuff, though obviously I can understand why the advertising would be missing from a DVD, the "Star Trek title card" would at least be a welcome addition to the presentation of the episodes. ;)

18. Ssosmcin

Okay, I just finished The Omega Glory on the Columbia House tape (CBS Video Library) and the correct Paramount Logo with the Desilu music is there. However, the Laserdisc print, released around the same time, has the third season Paramount logo. A Piece of the Action and By Any Other Name have the incorrect third season logo on the Columbia House tapes. I'll check other episodes as soon as I can.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  19. MacLover2000s Logos

MacLover2000s Logos Ensign Red Shirt

I'm going to revive this thread. So I recently heard that on the end credits of early Star Trek S1 episodes, the Desilu logo had a rarer, more intense fanfare version, which was the basis for the Mission: Impossible theme. So far, I have only found this special variant on a VHS print of the M:I episode "Memory" (on the VHS cover, it says "Butcher of Balkins"). On Star Trek, it was reported that the special variant was seen on "Charlie X," the second episode aired on NBC. Could this special variant of the Desilu theme be on any more home media releases?

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

First, welcome to the board.

Second please take some time to review the rules of posting here, pinned at the top of this forum.

This thread has been dead nearly 8 years. As the rules state, please start a new thread and link this one if you’d like to continue.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.