Question re: Kindle editions of Voyages of the Imagination and manuals

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Julio Angel Ortiz, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see there is a Kindle edition of Voyages of the Imagination and the TNG Technical Manual. For those who have purchased these for the Kindle, how do they look?

2. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

Re: Question re: Kindle editions of Voyages of the Imagination and man

I have Voyages of the Imagination on the Kindle. It looks great except for one major flaw... most of the covers are screwed up. If you are looking at the entry for "Spock Must Die!", you will probably see the cover for "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" or "Strange New Worlds VII". If you don't care about the covers of the individual books it's fantastic.

3. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's an odd thing to leave unfixed. Or to even screw up. :wtf:

But thank you for the response. I think I'll add it to my Kindle collection...

4. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

Yep, especially since the epub versions (Sony Reader store at least) are fine. Part of that equation of why ebooks are supposed to be the same cost as print is because ebooks require QA on the various devices and platforms, but I guess the publishers decided they didn't need to bother.

Great book though, I wish we could get an updated version that covers the last 6 years. Some awesome information in the interviews. Despite the screwed up covers I love that book and I've probably gone through it a dozen times.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

That sounds like a major flaw, especially considering that when VOTI first came out, "The Entropy Effect, Federation, Vulcan's Glory & Strangers From The Sky" had the 40th anniversary covers instead of the original covers or both covers on the page.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Understandable, since those four books were being reprinted to help celebrate the same 40th anniversary; VOTI was helping to promote the new editions. An editorial choice.

There have been many ST novels with alternate cover art. Some Bantams have had three or four different covers. In the UK, Bantams and Ballantine MMPBs were published by Corgi, will very different cover art. Some Pocket MMPBs have different covers to hardcovers. Ditto trade reprint collections of MMPBs. Space was already at a premium.

It's only come out once. No second edition.

7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I want (no, need!) the DS9 Companion to be released on Kindle; my original is a bit worn.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Me to, but for the Nook too. I've been hearing about how good it is for years, but I've never gotten a chance to read it.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Second hand copies available, but hold onto your hat:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1345411819&sr=8-1

I recall it was "in print"/as new for a long time. Simon & Schuster had lots warehoused because stores weren't ordering it. A heroic failure.

10. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Still they could've had all the covers under the page.

But the other odd thing is that with the four books I mentioned, why did only those four have their "New" cover art, and not the Bantam/Ballantine books, all of which had had their covers redone and reissued in the late-90's/early-2000's. Sure I realize that there might've been licensing issues (although I don't see why there would be a problem since I would think Bantam/Ballantine would want people looking for the books with the newer cover art and not books on the second hand market with decades old art that they don't receive any money for) , but it was a very odd choice.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Therin answered that in his first paragraph which you quoted there. VOTI and those four re-releases were part of the same anniversary celebration, so it was a cross-promotional touch.