Question about the Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just happened to be browsing the Wikipedia entry for the LA Coliseum and it says that the stadium has hosted the summer Olympics twice (2028 will be the third). Has this ever happened before?

Meaning, has any other city hosted the Olympics more than once? If so, did they use the same arena, or build a new one?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Paris had the Olympis twice. 1900 and 1924. The arenas are gone I would think. 2024 they will be opened in the Stade de France (opened in 1998). Another stadium - Parc de Princes - is much older. It used to be a velodrome/cycling track......:D It's Paris Saint Germain's home stadium. I don't know if they use it for the Olympic soccer tournament, though.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

I hope Berlin gets the Olympics again. I've been to the Olympiastadion and it is awesome.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Kilana2 likes this.
  4. antinoos

antinoos Commander Red Shirt

London hosted them 3 times: 1908, 1948 and 2012 at 3 different venues
    Athens twice: 1896 and 2004 at 2 different venues

Kilana2 likes this.
  5. Jim Klag

Jim Klag Vice Admiral Premium Member

Tokyo has hosted twice (1940 & 1960) and this year would have made 3.

6. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

1940 doesn't count as the games were first forfeited and awarded to Helsinki and then cancelled all together.

7. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

There's also the Winter Olympics:
    • Innsbruck, Austria (1964, 1976)
    • Lake Placid, NY (1932, 1980)
    • St. Moritz, Switzerland (1928, 1948)

9. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I went to 2 events at the 1980 Lake Placid games. Shame they’ll never hold them in so remote a location again. It actually worked really well.

XCV330 likes this.
  10. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

there has been talk of having a permanent Olympic city so towns don't bankrupt themselves over the expense, but it always comes to nothing. Greece would probably be one of the worst choices considering how poorly attended their last Olympiad was, with very few Greeks actually attending events and lots of empty seats being the norm.

The growing model seems to be sharing between cities, at least for winter olympics, when there are cities close together that can both provide venues. On a smaller scale that happens a lot. Atlanta in 96 had its canoeing and kayaking done near the sprawling megalopolis of Ducktown Tennessee, and the yaching was done in Savannah GA. But in the case of 2026 winter Olympics it will be an actual shared-city event, between Milan and Cortina.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

As long as it's Berlin, I'm fine with that. :)

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I'll wait for the Federation to build Yorktown. no rain delays in there.

arch101 likes this.
  13. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

The problem with the idea of a permanent location is that it would eliminate the bidding, which is more along the lines of outright bribery. The Salt Lake City Winter Games were a case where it got exposed. When I was in grad schools one of my professors was in Utah as a visiting professor when the scandal broke. He said it shocked Utah residents who really beleied that they were above that sort of thing. Anyway, the Sochi games were another great example of corruption in action. The Chinese government spent billions on facilities for the Summer Games that have since gone to rust and ruin. But they'll be hosting the Winter Games...ah...sorry...*end rant*