question about Reliant's NCC number

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Shat Happens, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the book

The making of Star trek II, the wrath of Khan
    by Allan Asherman:

[​IMG]

What happened in 1864? I'm not " a student of American history", thanks

2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

American Civil War?

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It's the penultimate year of the American Civil War, but glancing over timelines and summaries, I don't see any specific event that's particularly applicable to the film in that year. For instance, the Monitor and Merrimack fought in 1862. Aside from the general concept of "things that used to be on the same side are now fighting each other," I'm stumped by what Asherman could be referencing.

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

We know the Bozeman's NCC-1941 was a nod to the movie 1941, so that one is easy for us non-students.

publiusr likes this.
  6. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always took Asherman's 1864 reference to mean TWOK's battle between two Federation starships—a civil war, if you will—as opposed to the Enterprise facing off against an alien (Klingon, Romulan, etc.) vessel.

drt likes this.
  7. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Might 1861 also imply a newer class of starship?

That said, the civil war issue - pointing to a specific year and battle of importance therein as a semi-subtle nod (or even in a hope that the kiddies in the audience would run down to the library like how they otherwise never do?) - makes more sense than the number being a vague and superficial number as Khan was never in Starfleet so it's not a civil war within the Federation. Khan could be Klinglan or Romugon and it wouldn't make a difference.

8. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My point was not that it's a literal civil war but rather a symbolic one, as both the Enterprise & the Reliant are Federation starships going head-to-head. The fact that Khan and his followers aren't Starfleet officers has nothing to do with it.