Project Orion - 10% of teh speed of light

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by crookeddy, Jul 31, 2007.

1. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't remember Orion but Daedalus I have fond memories of. First read it in Odyssey magazine when I was a youngster and built a model of it for a science fair out of old pots from one of my mothers plants and the small containers youd get from those quarter machines where you'd get some small toy. Still have it I think.

2. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It may viable in the future but there are too many problems with it now. Chiefly among them are:

-nuclear driven propulsion requires heavy plating on spacecraft
    -the current design radiates gamma rays which are harmful to humans
    -the antimatter used to cause fission is very hard to come by

And just fyi: This is considered to be the most current wiki on the type of propulsion you brought up in this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter_catalyzed_nuclear_pulse_propulsion

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I taked a little about that. You have similar problems in magnetic confinement for fusion.
    IMO, that is the way to first learn how to store and handle antimatter.

4. DarK

DarK Ensign Newbie

Project Orion's Fastest speed is 600000 km/h and the spped of light 300000 km/s The Orion's speed is 1/1800 of the speed of light thats not 10%.But there is a project called "medusa" its powered like the Orion with nulclear pulse propulsion.But it doesn't drop them behind itself but in front itself.Medusa lokks like the Orion but in front of it there is a cord strapped to a parachut like sheet and when it shoots out the nuclear bombs in front it pushes the parachut forward and extends the cord like a rubber band and then the cord contracts and pushes the medusa even faster...And its top speed is around 1000000km/h wich is 1/1100 of the speed of light..And the the only way you can build and launch the Orion and the Medusa is from the moon so thats why there buildin space station on the moon in the near future(2012)because if they launch it from earth the radiation from one nuclear bomb will kill 1-10 people ont the Earth so thats dangereous and thats why they will build it and launch it from the moon

5. DarK

DarK Ensign Newbie

The Daedalus.Its not possible to 7.1% and 12% of the speed of light because 10% is 30000km/s,1800000km/m,108000000km/h so just think is it possible?

6. DarK

DarK Ensign Newbie

The Daedalus.Its not possible to 7.1% and 12% of the speed of light because 10% is 30000km/s,1800000km/m,108000000km/h so just think is it possible?I think its not possible.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Any speed is possible to obtain, short of the speed of light that is.

It was 60 years or so ago people thought it wasn't possible to break the sound barrier but it's a common practice today.

So I don't think meaningful fractions of c are impossible to obtain. Really hard, probably, but not impossibe.

8. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lightspeed isn't practical. I think the closest example in science fiction of what we'll eventually end up using for interstellar travel is the jumpgate technology from Babylon 5. Although I liked Event Horizon's explanation of using a wormhole to make points A & B overlap.

9. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

First off, welcome aboard, DarK! I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

DarK, just a friendly word of warning, posting three times in a row like that can and has been considered against the spamming rules. In the future, please go back and edit your post instead of making too many in a row.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So using better fuels and propulsion methods of achieving near-C speeds isn't practical but building large "rings" in space to create wormhoes/tunnels (which we don't even know if it is possible) two connect to worlds IS?

And how do we get to the destination to build the otherend of the gate?

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the idea seems ok on paper, just those two little problems:

-we know JACK about wormholes, black holes, and the like. YOU go down one, I'll be, uh, right behind you.

-How'd it work out for the crew in that movie? ;)

12. Stormrage

Stormrage Rear Admiral

The use of nukes.

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Y'know, Stormrage, I was all set to come back with snarky advice to check out what powers the Sun, but the fact of the matter is that you and I simply have an ideological difference of opinion on the peaceful uses of nukes. I can and will respect that.

14. DarK

DarK Ensign Newbie

15. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

16. DarK

DarK Ensign Newbie

no but its a cool game