Princess Kate (aka the Duchess of Cambridge) is Pregnant!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 3, 2012.

1. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yikes :( it was a stupid thing to do but not worth dying over

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well maybe she was already in a bad place and it nudged her over the edge. The police are apparenly not treating it as a suspicious death so I guess it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that it's a natural death, but that's a heck of a coincidence.

3. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Correlation does not imply causation. If she did in fact commit suicide, I sincerely doubt this was the one factor that led to her doing it.

There's an internet justice mob on their case just now and some of the things being said to the DJs are utterly vile and inexcusable, despite the stupid, mean spirited prank they pulled. People are depressing.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you underestimate the level of humilation.

5. Jim Steele

Well, ultimately nobody knows. I find it unlikely that one episode of embarrassment/humiliation, however extreme, can cause a mentally healthy individual to take their own life, but I'm not dismissing the possibility.

The bottom line is, jumping to the conclusion that A directly and solely led to B is sheer folly. It's the same kind of thinking that blames school shootings on video games.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  6. JarodRussell

If the school shooting happens a day after an extremely humiliating prank, I'd definitely consider it a possible trigger.

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the point is that you don't know what kind of issues someone already has when you publicly make a fool of them and destroy their career.

you can at least agree that the dj's knew that was what the fall out was going to be?

8. Jim Steele

Trigger, exactly. Trigger. You could conceivably trigger a suicide by being rude to someone, but nobody would hold you directly accountable. Depends on the individual, and none of the people jumping to conclusions know anything about the individual.

I understand the point, but I think it's a bit of a slippery slope, if you'll forgive me for using that tired old phrase.

I don't think it was the DJ's intention to destroy anyone's career, and by all accounts they hadn't. According to the hospital themselves no disciplinary action had been brought over this, and according to palace they considered the nurses involved very much victims of the prank and had not complained to the hospital. So to say anyone's career had been destroyed would appear to be running contrary to what's been reported.

And, according to those same reports, the DJ's actually expected to be hung up on as soon as the hospital staff heard their "awful accents" (a reasonable assumption - it does beggar belief that they actually got through). So I don't think the DJ's knew (or cared) what the fallout would be, no. They apparently expected it wouldn't go anywhere near as far as it did.

What they did was mean, unfunny, grossly inconsiderate and unbelievably stupid. I'm not in any way defending what they did. But to suggest that they're directly responsible for the poor woman's death as many are doing is simply wrong.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's punishment enough that the DJs from this radio show are aware of the fallout, and that hopefully they've learned to stop pulling stupid pranks like this one. I am certain this woman's death will weigh heavily on their consciences. Desiring more out of it would be unreasonable, as it isn't the fault of the DJs for what happened to this young woman. She was obviously troubled, and needed help, and this incident was enough to send her over the edge. Very sad, but not a reason to bring retribution against the DJs themselves, I don't think.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It is very easier to jumpt to conclusions, without waiting for the full facts to emerge. Now obviously what the DJ's was in extremely poor taste.

As for the unfortunate apparent suicide of the nurse, unless any of us have been embarassed in the way she was we shouldn't judge her mental state. She might not have faced any disciplnary procedures and the Royal Family considered the matter closed. However what matters is what she thought, many people when even midley embaressed what nothing more than to hid under a rock so to speak. And sometimes no amounts of assurances can overcome what person is thinking. It may not be rational but human beings aren't always rational.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do these DJs still have jobs after all this went down?

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should get fired and possibly even sued.

14. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I apologize if this sounds insensitive, but I don't see how this is the DJs fault...

15. Jim Steele

It isn't the DJ's fault, at all. No more than cutting someone up on the road makes you responsible if the other driver has a heart attack. Dick move, but not murder.

16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Why? Is it because the nurse who took the phonecall, not the one who revealed information which was already in the public domain allegedly committed suicide? How on earth could they even comprehend or predict that that would happen? From reports, the phonecall was recorded, sent off to the radio stations lawyers to check it was all above board, they signed off on it and it was broadcast.

Prank calls of this nature aren't unheard of and more often than not, both parties laugh them off. St. James Palace didn't complain, nor have any members of the Royal Family, it's just trial by the interwebz against the broadcasters and station involved.

They've been suspended, the programme has been pulled, several sponsors have left and 2Day FM have stopped all advertising over the weekend. I'm sure Mel Greig and Michael Christian now regret what was deemed a good idea and a bit of harmless fun at the time, but I personally don't believe they should lose their jobs and no way should they be sued.

Exactly, it was more than likely the straw that broke the camels back for Mrs Saldanha. In no way is it the radio broadcasters fault she may have taken her own life.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed with the above three comments. People seem to be making out these DJs were purposefully going after this nurse in question. But she just so happened to be the person who answered the phone

18. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the whole prank was stupid and wrongful, already as an idea. The radio people did not show any respect towards the patient, her loved ones/close family, nor the hospital and its staff. I find the whole incident disgusting:rolleyes:
    If I would do something like they did as an private person, I would be most likely be called an total a-hole and might be even accused of an felony(even if I would say that I did it "just for laughs").

I think the apparent suicide might have been triggered by the humiliation caused by the global media attention of the incident. Plus I am pretty sure she did get plenty of "what an stupid nurse" kinds of comments:borg:
    Being a nurse is a very stressful job and she might have been one of those people, who take great pride of their job. She also might have been a great admirer of the Royal family, making the whole incident even more difficult to bare.
    I know it is just an speculation from my part, but I do find it plausible.

19. JarodRussell

Here it's absolutely illegal to gain private patient information by claiming you are another person.

20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

And that's one of the cruxes of the matter. It wasn't private information, due to press releases and the like, this information was already in a the public domain.