Preferred Viewing Order

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by M.A.C.O., Jul 6, 2017.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point, the "Rey Skywalker" thing is dead, and was never that likely to happen anyway.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good.

3. DigificWriter

Going back to the subject of the Skywalker Saga films being finished after IX, Rey would have to be formally adopted into the family by Luke - since the notion that she's part of it by blood has at this point been pretty much thoroughly disproven - in order for any such continuation to happen because Ben, Luke, and Leia are more than likely not surviving to the end of the Sequel Trilogy.

4. fireproof78

Why? That's a rather definitive statement with little to no evidence to back it up.

Also, as a follow up question to viewing order, which editions are the ones that are "official?" Because, I'm happy to stick with my OT VHS and original run DVD for the PT for viewing. No doubt that is no longer "official" but I'm a rebel like that ;)

Smellmet likes this.
  5. DigificWriter

Leia is going to be written off between the end of The Last Jedi and the beginning of Episode IX due to Carrie Fisher's death, Luke is following the same narrative trajectory as Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Yoda, and Ben's actions are such that his story can only end one of two ways: he's taken out like the villain he's become or he follows in his grandfather's footsteps and redeems himself in death.

6. fireproof78

That does not make it a guarantee. You might be right, and I agree about the trajectory, but I rarely see things ending exactly how I see them.

7. DigificWriter

^ I said "most likely", but even if Luke survives and Ben is redeemed, Rey still needs to become part of the Skywalker family in order for her positioning as the protagonist of the Sequel Trilogy and/or future "Skywalker Saga" films to make sense.

8. fireproof78

And that's fair, and I'm not arguing against Rey's inclusion in the family. I'm simply amused by the idea that this is a hard and fast expectation, at least in the way it is presented.

9. DigificWriter

^ It's a "hard and fast expectation", at least for me, because the "Skywalker Saga" films follow patterns thematically and narratively, and the narrative and thematic patterns for Luke and Ben, as presented thus far, are rhat the former meets the same fate as previous Jedi Masters and the latter pays for the atrocities he's committed by either being taken out like Emperor Palpatine or performing a redemptive sacrifice like Anakin.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, LucasFilm has confirmed that this trilogy is still part of the Skywalker Saga, which means there needs to be a focus on a Skywalker.

PT was Anakin, OT was Luke, so ST = ???

11. DigificWriter

Rey. She may not be a Skywalker by birth/blood, but she most likely will be by the end of the trilogy.

Alternatively, Ben/Kylo could end up being the "focal point" character even though he's not the protagonist, and the story could end with him following in Anakin's footsteps.

12. fireproof78

That may well be, but I'll wait and see on this one. I've been surprised before, and expect to be surprised again. For me, "hard and fast expectations" have led to great disappointment in the end.

Unless Rey is a Skywalker by blood. In which case I will be surprised and done.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where was it definitely 100% factually stated that Rey is not a Skywalker? It might be unlikely, but I don't remember anyone involved with the movies making a definite official statement about it.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't recall and straight up nos.

15. fireproof78

No, nothings official. I'm merely expressing my opinion that if Rey is a Skywalker, and she was left behind on Jakku by family member, I will be done with the films.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Rey is not a Skywalker. Rey was never a Skywalker. This possibility never existed. It was never even *hinted* at in the movie. There is exactly as much evidence of Rey being a Skywalker as there is Rey being a Fett, a Palpatine, a Syndulla or an Antillies. Which is zero. Furthermore it was pretty explicitly made clear in the movie that her family is gone and are never coming back. They are in her past, Luke is in her future. *Not* the other way around.

Now, a Kenobi-Kryze on the other hand...is still pretty damn impossible, but I don't care because I like the idea dammit! ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  17. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:shifty:Are you trying to say it's some sort of myssstery???

I dunno about Kenobi. I heard he's scared of women, and that they make him nervous.

18. fireproof78

Which is why he nearly left the order for one?

[​IMG]

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I thought maybe somebody had said something in an interview and I missed it. I'll admit, the main reason I think she might be a Skywalker is simply because the saga movies are supposed to be focused on the Skywalker family, and it seems unlikely to me that our only Skywalker would be the villain.

20. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a good chance she is in some way. Or of not her, maybe another Skywalker will be added to the story.

Michael Arndt's script of episode 7 and treatment for the whole trilogy, had the Story revolving around "Vader's grandchildren." And I believe one of them was to go on a mission with Luke (in 7). Abrams re-wrote the script(after visiting Lucas, presenting his ideas, and getting his blessing). It's possible that Rey was recreated or a new character. I don't think they'll release those treatments until after the movies have all come out, if ever. It's also possible that Rey's backstory will never be explained.

In that case, you'll have to wait for the Sequel Trilogy prequel trilogy which begins filming in the year 2033.