Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Malcolm Tucker is The Doctor, travelling through time, swearing at everyone and scaring them to take the party line. Excellent.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's an embargoed Doctor Who press release going live at midnight GMT. It's believed to be an announcement for a special Confidential to air Sunday on which the new Doctor will be revealed.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

23:00BST would be an odd time to make that annoucement. It would be fair better earlier in the day so it could perhaps make a quick segment on the Six or even ten on clock News.

4. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is the release that's been embargoed until Midnight:

The wait is almost over for Doctor Who fans, as the identity of the next actor to play the Doctor is to be revealed in a special one-off Doctor Who Live broadcast on BBC One this Sunday August 4 at 7pm.

In front of a live studio audience, host Zoe Ball will unveil and interview the 12th person to play the Time Lord, one of the most coveted roles in British television.

The half hour programme will feature Doctors old and new, companions, special guests and celebrity fans, all taking place against the backdrop of a swirling vortex with Daleks and the TARDIS stationed in the studio.

Earlier in the week the BBC disguised the show in the TV listings, scheduling a fake ‘Celebrity Mastermind’ in the 7.30pm-8pm slot.

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor will end months of speculation over who will be taking over from Matt Smith, with Peter Capaldi, Ben Daniels, Ben Whishaw and David Harewood having all been linked with the role, though an unknown actor is perhaps far more likely.

Executive producer Steven Moffat said : ‘The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who’s taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve.’

Moffat and Smith will both give interviews during the show, commenting on the role and what they believe it takes to play the Doctor.

Fans in America will be able to watch the unveiling live via simulcast on BBC America.

Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One said : ‘BBC One is the home of big live events and this special live show is the perfect way to reveal the identity of the next Doctor and share it with the nation. The Doctor is a truly iconic role and I’m more than excited about the booking.’

Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning meanwhile, revealed how they have been using the codename Houdini for the actor.

He said: ‘We can’t wait to unveil the next Doctor with everyone live on BBC1 on Sunday night. Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we’ve been using the codename Houdini as a decoy! It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.’

Rory Kinnear had also been tipped as a possible Doctor, but after insisting that he won’t be joining the show his denial was compounded by his signing up to ITV drama Lucan, which films at the same time.

5. Allyn Gibson

That doesn't read like a press release, though. I can't see a press release naming possible actors in that way. Is that the article that Metro.co.uk had up and then pulled?

6. Atticus

7. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

This time in 3 days we can put this bastard too bed once more.

8. Atticus

And start predicting who will be the 13th ;)

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah, but, once we have a name and face, will we really know any more than we know now? Knowing Matt Smith's name and having a photo of him, told us nothing except that he'd be a Goth Emo Doctor, which turned out to be faulty supposition.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

It'll be a mix of "OMG1!1 WORST CHOICE EVAR1111!" and "Brilliance! Pure brilliance! I can't wait!" until the next season.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I hope you're right and we won't know anything about the actor or what he'll be like. For me, that was much of what was so good about Matt and David. I had no idea what either would be like as The Doctor. Hell, even Eccleston surprised me - I thought he'd be grim and gritty but I never anticipated his cheesy grin and comic timing.

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh dear, not again. Has the BBC ever had a Doctor Who news story that didn't get leaked in advance, either accidently or on purpose?

(And I don't believe it's Peter Capaldi for a second. Though I wouldn't be surprised if his name was tossed out as a last-minute distraction.)

14. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Had the same thought. I hope they go with an unknown as they did with Matt, as to the new Doctors ethnicity / gender this time... I guess we'll find out on Sunday.

15. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blerg, I hope you're right. Casting that dude as the next Doctor would be death for the show.

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

If Hurt is truly the 9th (with out resetting it somehow) than this is the 13th incarnation but the 12th Doctor LOL

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It will probably be some bloke who's had bit parts in BBC drama's in the background, some TV roles and mostly theater work.

Get ready for all the comments to come. There's going to be alot of "The clock strikes twelve" puns i'm sure.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just goes to show how big DW is, the red top pappers would no doubt like to have gotten the scoop on who is the next Doctor.

19. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So has anyone being following the tortured path of "logical deduction" that is leading some people to think that the part has gone to Rachel Weisz?

It's almost as funny the Missing Episodes Crusade stuff.

Almost.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  20. Allyn Gibson

I've not heard of this, no. She's my dream Benny Summerfield actress.