*Potential Spoilers* What will the Alternate Enterprise-A look like

I've made this argument here before (and it is correct) but I posted it on Hargreaves E-A post in answer to the thin-ness of the pylons:

Actually all pylons are relatively thin in star trek, suggesting a very strong alloy is more than enough to carry the nacelles..that's part of the Trek conceit. SO assuming this connection is thin but super-strong, we also have to understand that they are protected by shields...without SHIELDS, the ship is basically an equally vulnerable target no matter where you hit it..so the question of the thin pylons being "weak" is basically moot.

The cutaway of the Beyond Enterprise configuration shows massive structural support struts inside the pylons, two (one above one under) the conduits leading up to the nacelles. They look single piece, pretty impressive in size and no doubt incredibly strong.

The Enterprise A didn't even have pylons by the end of the movie, maybe years after the 1701 was given the new swept back versions. Starfleet had years to think of an even stronger, better version for her. As well as studying sensor data recovered from the downed saucer etc

And they're holding up even smaller, more refined nacelles.

I liked where he was going with flowing the pylons into each other, the secondary hull and engines - probably looks better in three dimensions than in those static shots.

Yup, definitely love the Enterprise it replaced better lol.

I hope the nacelles at least resemble the previous ones more in the next film. These look like a downgrade.
The hanger bay entrance looks hideous too.

image.jpg

Really glad they tweaked it for the final cut. The shuttle bay looks interesting, but those chunky pylons are incredibly unbalanced and all the angular lines look horrid mixed together. It does look like a massive downgrade compared to the elegance of Church's design work.

Hopefully they'll tweak it some more for ST4 and get it perfected - those designed needed some time to be refined into something with better flow to them.

In my opinion, the TOS design is only second to the perfection that was the refit from TMP. It’s hard for me not to compare any new design to that beautiful ship. I’m sure he must have found it daunting to have taken on the task of re-designing such a beloved character that is so important to so many people—especially a vocal group like us Trekkies.

Overall, I really like design. It works much better for me than Ryan Church’s Enterprise. That one had too many areas that seemed cramped, bulbous and cluttered. On this design, the only area that will take me some getting used to is the connection point of the neck and saucer. I think I see what he’s done there, and can certainly understand the choice made due to the events of the movie. The original and refit appeared a bit more elegant with the connection further back at the very edge of the saucer, but having it connect more inward would undoubtedly make for a stronger point of contact. I look forward to seeing more of the design in motion in the next film.

Anyone care to comment on this next bit?

As techniques and technology have evolved, I’ve noticed that the aesthetics of starship design have come to the point where they often appear odd from some angles, such as schematics, but can seem very different when seen in the actual film. In my opinion, I find that the older designs, such as the original and refit Enterprise, seem to look fantastic from every angle, whereas newer designs tend to have some unusual elements when seen on paper, but in motion, can look much more elegant due to lighting, angle, depth of field, etc. This is no more evident that in the last movie. Seen from above or beside, I think the modifications made to the Enterprise 1701 make that ship look far worse than it does in the actual film. The swept-back pylons and thinned neck, coupled with the narrow distance between the nacelles, make the ship look unappealing to me, but during the film I was surprised that the design transitioned so well that I actually really liked the look of it far more than in the first two movies. I may be wrong, but I attribute this to the choices in cinematography as seen in Star Trek Beyond. So why is this? Is it because in the past, before everything was created in the digital realm, designs were done with blueprints and physical models? So when the original series and movies were made, the camera was mainly positioned outside the model, looking back at it. The angles that were filmed were limited to how close the camera could physically get to the model. Perhaps this meant that more often than not, the design may have been refined until it was perfect as seen through the camera lens. In comparison, with CGI models, one can position the camera anywhere around or within the structure of the ship to make it appear much more elegant than the overall design might be. I believe it allows the final design to be somewhat less refined, because some awkward-looking areas can be made to look more impressive by simply altering the depth of field and lighting with ease in the computer—a technique that was simply not possible with physical models just a few feet long. I’m not implying that this has made digital designers any less caring in their work, I’m just wondering if certain elements are chosen because they look more dramatic from some angles then others? An example of this would be the nacelles of Ryan Church’s design. Seen from the front, the narrowness between the port and starboard nacelles make the ship look sleek, almost aggressively fast, but when viewed from the top of bottom, they look too close together when compared to everything that came before. The same look with a physical model may have been achieved by selecting a certain focal length that added that additional depth to the shot.

Sorry for the long winded nature of this post and I hope I made it clear at what I’m trying to get at.

Things I notice changed from his artwork to the screen:
1) The entire aft section. The nacelle pylons stop at the side of the hull, similar to the first KT-1701. The shuttlebay doesn't APPEAR to be as narrow as in the artwork.
2) The nacelles seem virtually unchanged, though there are some slight details that seem to have been added to the bussard housing and the fins at the back open to a glowing rectangular shape as the ship prepares for warp, a detail I didn't notice until I started comparing the art to the admittedly poor quality shots from the film.
3) The neck on the film version is completely different. The forward section still has a curve and a torpedo launcher. The aft section drops down vertically for a little bit before beginning the curve down towards the engineering hull.
4) The impulse deck is slightly different. Not too much, but enough that I noticed.
5) The bridge and the sections of the saucer under the bridge that go back towards the impulse deck are almost completely different than the artwork we see.

All in all, it's nice artwork, but we won't truly know the KT-Enterprise-A until either the 3D artist releases some views of the 3D model, the Blu-Ray comes out, or Eaglemoss or some other model maker does a model of the ship.

Cat's ringpiece?
Well if you imagine that the nacelle pylons and nacelles are her legs and then you......

Never mind :angel:

Very glad they kept it as it was in the previous ship.

This isn't the place for outright stating what I think it looks like.

Things I notice changed from his artwork to the screen:
1) The entire aft section. The nacelle pylons stop at the side of the hull, similar to the first KT-1701. The shuttlebay doesn't APPEAR to be as narrow as in the artwork.
2) The nacelles seem virtually unchanged, though there are some slight details that seem to have been added to the bussard housing and the fins at the back open to a glowing rectangular shape as the ship prepares for warp, a detail I didn't notice until I started comparing the art to the admittedly poor quality shots from the film.
3) The neck on the film version is completely different. The forward section still has a curve and a torpedo launcher. The aft section drops down vertically for a little bit before beginning the curve down towards the engineering hull.
4) The impulse deck is slightly different. Not too much, but enough that I noticed.
5) The bridge and the sections of the saucer under the bridge that go back towards the impulse deck are almost completely different than the artwork we see.

All in all, it's nice artwork, but we won't truly know the KT-Enterprise-A until either the 3D artist releases some views of the 3D model, the Blu-Ray comes out, or Eaglemoss or some other model maker does a model of the ship.
This one is way better:

http://sequbu.deviantart.com/art/STB-E-A-3-625231265

and much closer to what ended up on screen:

I think Sean designed the shuttle bay that way to make it easier for shuttle ingress/egress no?
Not really it just made the entryway smaller with no armor protection due to there being no door, plus it makes it a clear point of weakness for enemies as well.

Luckily it didn't make it into the final result so it doesn't matter.

Not really it just made the entryway smaller with no armor protection due to there being no door, plus it makes it a clear point of weakness for enemies as well.

Luckily it didn't make it into the final result so it doesn't matter.
No door? Look again, pretty sure there is a door. And until we see the actual shuttlebay in the model, we can't say for sure that they didn't keep that design.

Back