Post a Random Fact About Yourself

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sibyl, Apr 29, 2019.

1. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

i tend to say none of the above

i was not a year old when my dad parked his beloved great dane with a trusty feldwebel (dad paid for everything and visited her twice a week 'till she died) because i started screaming when she was around - trying to accustom me to dogs using a rauhaardackel puppy didn't work either.

later i had two really bad days with german shepherds the second (way worse than the first) sponsored my first chopper ride at age 14. i don't recall much of the flight, though as i was laying on stretcher (that beast opened me up from the hip to the shoulder in about two seconds).

what i really hate is when a calf sized dog runs up to me and some moron 35 meters away shouts der will nur spielen (he only wants to play). i really wish to have a .45 in those moments and only the second round were for the dog. (i probably would be too afraid to hit either, anyway)

i 've never met a guide dog who hasn't behaved properly - i just don't want to get blind (not only for that reason of course but the idea of needing a guide dog gives me the creeps)

my brother had a tibetanian shepherd (or somesuch) pronounced to be the most cowardly dog on earth. when i first met emma (about the size of a terrier) she was gnawing my left ankle within two minutes just to show me who's the boss.

if an unleashed dog of a certain size comes my way i make way and change the side of the street. if it's leashed i try to keep the distance as great as possible without crossing the road.

i don't have anything against dogs, i just wish their owners would think about canophobes when handling them. i also can admire their estetics*

... i kinda liked kommisar rex as he couldn't come out of that tv

---

* i used to watch two windspiele running around from a safe distance (their owner leashed them the moment they moved off the place (designated to play with dogs and with a fence around it). i was watching sitting on a bench above and drinking beer - it was fun.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still miss the CTV series Once a Thief.

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

thanks for the explanation, @oberth That's indeed a tricky case. That the little dog bit you in the ankle was to be expected. Alas, small dogs are way more aggressive and way worse educated than big ones. Plus dogs go by smell and if you reek of fear and adrenaline they consider you an underdog. It is, however, unusual that a dog attacks without warning.
    You might perhaps profit from a crash course in canine body language. If you can read dogs better you can at least avoid conflicts. I would recommend a puppy aged about 4 weeks to start with: at that age they are curious, very social and toothless :D
    Also, in spite of your bad experiences I'd recommend tall breeds: they are more relaxed than the angora-rat types.

It's ok to be scared but among dogs there's the type who bites out if fear ("before you hurt me terribly, I hurt you as much as I can"). Some dogs might perhaps believe that a canophobe human is a fear-biter and therefore attack. Frankly, I am not sure. I would have to witness an encounter to read the dog's opinion.

If you like, we can meet and try some long distance contact (with a street's broadth between you and the dog, or watching outside a dog school). If you learn how dogs tick, you'll lower the risk for yet another bad experience considerably. 58 years of dealing with big dogs are fully at your service :)

4. oberth

emma didn't bite, me she just grabbed my ankle between her teeth to establish the picking order (that happened with other dogs, too and usually that's a day done for me) - in her case i asked were she was and when my brother again said she's a coward i told him: found your kampfhund (attack dog) - called her the attack dog ever since and yes she is a coward (when i call up my nephew i always ask him about the attack dog but he never shows up with her)

i'm afraid of dogs for 58 years; i learned how to avoid trouble and i didn't have a really bad experience since the free chopper flight - being self employed allows me to sit in a corner and drink some lemonade for adults when a dog has gotten too close to me - i never did a piece involving dogs, though

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I don't know about your home country, but here in North America they do occasionally train miniature horses as guide animals, for those who can't be near dogs for whatever reason.

But of course, it is also entirely your choice as to whether you use a guide animal if you ever found yourself in that situation. No one is going to force one on you. (At least here, anyway. I guess I'm not really familiar with the situation where you're from. But it would be an odd thing to do.)

6. oberth

off course not - i said needing as in the only way to get around.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  7. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that I'm in the Depression stage of grief now. Seems like there should be a stage called Lonely too.

Non Sync and Worf factor9 like this.
  8. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That one never goes away, all you can do is bow your head and stride into or against the wind and then smile despite of it all.

DEWLine and Velocity like this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like one a Gambian Pouched Rat?

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  10. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

mini horses also make good guide animals. They have the advantage of strength, and long life. They do take longer to train.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  11. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

frankly, I wouldn't trust their ability to concentrate for several hours. But they definitely have the advantage that they can carry your shopping. Good point about the lifespan!
    @JD yes, hero rats :) Awesome animals!

12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

No need to worry, guide animals aren't the only way to get around. Plenty of visually impaired people are happy to rely on their cane skills.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

At one of the Mets games I saw last week, Keith Hernandez waved at me.

Well not at me, personally, but everybody in my section (we were sitting right in front of the SNY broadcast booth).

Oh, and at another game later in the week, I almost got hit with a foul ball. Bounced right off the seats on either side (!) of me, and knocked over some bottles.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amazon likes to deliver to my neighborhood at 7 a.m. The post office, on the other hand, doesn't deliver until 7 p.m.

15. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  16. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like to go for walks in the rain! Good thing I live in a place with plenty of rain.

17. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

The arthritis in my fingers is really painful tonight.

18. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just love pj bottoms. I think I could live in them!

Henoch and Oddish like this.
  19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I know I could. But, dress codes. :(

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    My favorite shoes are a close battle between hiking boots and Skechers.