Post a Random Fact About Yourself

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sibyl, Apr 29, 2019.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^that sounds a lot like my mom :) She's busy almost 24/7 and even while watching TV she knits. IMHO mothers are a force of nature, like tornados or floods. :D

Sibyl, Discofan, think and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I was a youngster, I was always a little creeped out by the fact that whenever I'd close my eyes, while something bright was shining at me ( a light, the sun etc...) I could swear I saw little floating wormy or spidery shapes , which made me think I had particles in my eyes or something .

When I got older, & learned a bit about anatomy, I figured out I was probably just seeing the veins & capillaries in my eyelids. Still fascinates me though.

Sibyl likes this.
  3. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was staying at very woodsy Fort Belvoir many many years ago and came back to my apartment building one evening around Halloween. I stepped out of my car and saw a fluffy cat's tail disappearing under the next car. Being a cat lover, I called to it and tried to find it because I'm very fond of black and white cats. I couldn't find it right away although I could hear it snuffling through the dead leaves at the curb. "Here kittty, kitty!" and then the skunk strolled out in front of me. It paid no attention to me (in my idiocy) at all, luckily, and I decided quickly to head inside to study.

Sibyl and Gary Mitchell like this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know how some people are afraid of flying....I am the exact opposite.

I'm afraid of NOT flying.

If I'm on the plane, it's in the air, and the flight is on time, I'm a happy guy. But delays, cancellations, that kind of thing...THAT is what I'm afraid of.

For example: A few months ago, I spent a week in San Francisco (one of my favorite cities). When the time came to fly home, my flight was due to leave SFO at about 6:30 in the evening. I had been previously warned about the possibility of delay or cancellation, because SFO had to shut down one of its runways for maintenance.

You know when I actually showed up at the airport? About 9 in the morning. Yeah, you read that right.

I was so afraid that my flight home would be cancelled (it wasn't, although it ended up being delayed by about an hour and a half) that I figured the airport would be the best place to be in that event. That way, I could just go to a customer service desk, and I wouldn't have to talk to anyone on the phone.

So I ended up spending like 11 hours at the airport. I think I went to all the United Clubs that SFO had! I lost count of all the gin and tonics I consumed. :ouch:

The moral of the story is that I am almost ridiculously paranoid about what might happen to my flights. For any reservations that I happen to have (right now I only have one, for my trip to Montréal next March) I check them every single day to see if the airline has messed with my schedule in any way. Unfortunately, airlines love to pull that crap, so I have to stay on top of it! :sigh:

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Rear Admiral

As I have said before life was a great deal rougher in the French countryside when you were poor in the sixties than some people may imagine. We didn't have in-house toilets, the bathtub was a wooden container that we moved in the middle of the kitchen (the best-heated room in the house), no central heating, taps only delivered cold water (very cold in winter!!). If you wanted hot water you had to heat it on the big stove in the kitchen (all of this was dangerous as hell) ( I scalded my elbow once, fortunately, it wasn't that bad, still it took a couple of months to heal!!). It wasn't easy when you needed to do the big number in the middle of winter to go through the garden toward the badly lit outhouse, a plank with a hole in it and below was a big hole filled with you know what...Old cut newspapers in lieu of toilet paper (the ink rubbed off on our skin!!!)

Anyway, we were tough not because of "machoism" or whatever but because life demanded it. In that context, kids were tough too. Boys and girls went to different schools, but that doesn't mean that we (the boys) didn't think of the girls (bien au contraire!!!) we talked about them all the time and we used every occasion to meet them.

We were also tough with each other. One of my best friends of all times introduced himself to me in the most singular fashion. He threw a stick at me, spearlike. The stick hit me above the right eye, in the eyebrow. Fortunately, the stick wasn't too sharp though. Blood started running over my face (you know head wounds!). Anyway, what followed is a little fuzzy in my memory so I am mostly reporting what my friend saw and told me about later. I was sort of staggering back an forth and my friend wondered (with horror) if I wasn't about to die. At that point, I started yelling and jumped on him and hit him with everything I had (fists, elbows, knees) with uncontrolled rage (probably an adrenaline rush), all the while my blood was dripping over him. My friend thought I was like a headless chicken and didn't defend himself as well as he could have (we were pretty much of equal strength). He thought I was dying. Anyway, we managed somehow to go back to our houses. And we both abided by the unwritten rule, that you don't tell the grown-ups about the things that happen between kids. So I told my parents that I ran, fell and hit my head against a stump. And he told his parents that he was climbing a tall tree when he was attacked by a big black bird (probably defending its nest), he took his pocket knife and stabbed at the bird, managing to wound t in the process (hence the blood on his clothes), in so doing he lost his balance and fell, being repeatedly hit by branches on his way down (hence the multiple bruises all over his body).
    That was rather smart for a kid of nine or ten years! That explains (partly) why he became a lawyer and a darn good one at that!!!

I don't know if his parents believed him but since he insisted and wouldn't change his story they had no choice but to "believe him".

He's now one of my most reliable friends.

6. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^LOL that sort of training explains a lot about lawyers :D

Discofan likes this.
  7. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bought 2 used paperbacks today and in one of them (probably being used as a bookmark) I found a ticket to a 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Game between the NY Giants and the Buffalo Bills. Admission was $64, apparently. I am continuing to use it as a bookmark---it's just the right size. I love "found" bookmarks!

Sibyl likes this.
  8. Discofan

The "Buffalo Bills"! That's an amusing play on words.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I have 666 likes. I almost hope that never changes just so I can say I have the mark of evil on me.

oberth likes this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a better one: a MLS soccer team called the "Chicago Fire". :lol:

11. Discofan

Yes, naming a soccer team after a catastrophic event is rather funny, in a grim sort of way.

12. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Commander Red Shirt

I am out of step with everyone. Put the tree up late, took it down this week and now just putting the ornaments and decorations away...

13. oberth

oberth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

why is that out of step? where i'am from the tree goes up on dec 23rd and down after epiphany (normally on jan 7th) - to me that's just business as usual

of course it's a natural tree and real candles here

14. Discofan

I used to be a tree surgeon but I had to stop because I fainted at the sight of sap, in fact, I am feeling a little woozy right now.

(A joke that should be told not read and to a specific person, that you want to mildly make fun of, in a good-natured sort of way;))

15. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Commander Red Shirt

I really like to walk in the rain. Anyone else?

16. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Admiral Admiral

I do too.

17. oberth

count me in - as long as it is warm rain

... there are other things that are nice to do in warm rain :adore:

18. Discofan

That's called a shower.;)

19. oberth

open air!

20. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

My first words were "Uh-oh" at age five. Not because of language delays but hearing delays. I had mediocre five year old's vocabulary in American Sign Language prior, but I've forgotten most of it now.