Post 10 Facts About Yourself

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Dec 20, 2010.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought of a couple more...

11. I am not a morning person. I hate early mornings - they're torture and have been since I was a little kid at school. I wasn't really awake until after lunch.

12. I hate the sound of my voice, but I can't stand the idea of putting on a false one.

13. I rather stupidly treat the number 13 with suspicion and think of it as unlucky.

14. I can't end on thirteen, 'coz it's unlucky;).

2. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

I don't know what you mean. :p

3. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

1. I'm uncomfortable with my own heterosexuality. Even a simple thing like taking pleasure in looking at a beautiful woman makes me feel like a perv. This is due to a number of negative life experiences that I've had. I am trying to get over this.

2. Loud noises or people cheering very loudly makes me uncomfortable

3. I am slowly coming to the realization that I am quite a bit smarter than most people

4. I enjoy coffee and find it practically essential to my digestion

5. I try to eat well but pepperoni pizza is the one junk food I can never get rid of

6. I used to be a 6 beer a day drinker but now only drink on the weekends. Even then, I sometimes wonder why I bother. It mostly makes me sleepy.

7. I am an athiest liberal democrat

8. I have a growing feeling of confidence in myself and it's good

9. I would like to become more politically active as there are certain things I believe strongly in

10. I love cartoons

4. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

1. I've had brain surgery.
    2. I've lived on three continents.
    3. I have studied 6 languages.
    4. I barely remember any of them.

5. I am a fairly easy going guy who doesn't take a lot of BS. I roll with the punches and I am fairly accommodating of other people, but I have no problems telling them to bugger off if their shit starts to get ridiculous.

6. I am deathly scared of tarantulas. I can't even be in the same room as a caged one. One time I thought one was in my room and I didn't go into there for a week. I couldn't stop shaking for an hour. It turned out to be a rat.

7. I am a fairly decent musician as I am a classically trained Double Bassist (having played in my university orchestra), I played in a swing band in High School, have played drums in a rock band before and am currently playing guitar/bass in a band.

8. I am not religious nor am I atheist. The question of God just seems fairly unimportant to me. I do however enjoy the religious traditions I was raised with and still go to High Holy Days services.

9. I am pretty much into anything. I am just as comfortable doing raiding in WoW for 4 hours straight as I am dancing in a club for four hours straight. I mesh well with most groups since I share a passing interest in most groups.

10. Even though my last name means "Dark Foreigner", I am fairly light skinned.

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

There are several possible causes for morning highs, perhaps one (or more) of these is the culprit(s):

-Are you injecting with syringes or a pen? If you're using a pen, they've been shown to be very inaccurate in some cases, so you may not be getting as much insulin as you think.

-You mentioned not eating heavy dinners, but are you being wary of the types of carbs and amount of protein in them. You are probably aware of this already (but maybe not, as I've learned that doctors often give shockingly little information about such things), but complex carbs will release more slowly into your body than simple ones, keeping your sugars up longer, and proteins also keep sugar levels up (though they don't raise them). If your dinners are full of complex carbs and protein, this could account for morning highs.

-Has your exercise level decreased at all lately? Exercise not only lowers blood sugar, but raises insulin sensitivity throughout the day, and even for up to a few days afterwards. If your regular exercise has decreased even a little, you may need more insulin to maintain your sugars on the same diet.

-Lastly, a few hours before people wake up the liver produces glucose and releases it into the blood, to give us sort of an energy jolt in the morning. For diabetics, of course, this means morning highs that have nothing to do with what they ate.

Hope that helps and wasn't just a lot of stuff you already knew!

6. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, tsq. I currently don't use insulin. All I take is a 500 mg Metformin once a day (at dinner time), and my glucose level usually goes down in the late afternoons, which is why I make sure I snack on something before I work out.

As far as exercise goes, I haven't decreased my duration or effort level in any way. I try not to overdo it because I have a tendency to get hypoglycemic when I exercise too hard or too long without enough nourishment.

You mentioned carbs. I'm Asian and I do eat white rice with my dinner. :) Then again, it's been a normal part of my diet, and typically my fasting blood sugar is in the 120s or below even with carbs the night before.

As far as the liver, that seems possible. But I'm more concerned I may have some undiagnosed illness or infection that I'm not aware of, thus the unusually elevated readings. I made an appointment with my doctor for later this month. I also concede that I've been more indulgent during the holidays, so that could be a factor, too.

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Here are ten more about me...

1. The worst mistake I ever made in life was leaving the US Air Force. I have never been as successful or happy since I left. I had a real purpose and meaning when I was in the Air Force.

2. I don't like hot food, I don't mean spicy I mean temperature hot. Well, thats not true, I don't like spicy food either. I prefer my food warm, not hot.

3. I still carry a torch for my ex-fiancee. We were together for seven years and I broke up with her. Were both married now to other people, but I think about her often. You even have that feeling you were suppose to be with that one person, she is that for me.

4. I get manicures and pedicures. I go every two weeks and I love it. I only started going because of my wife, but now I really enjoy going.

5. I have to use a CPap machine to sleep. I have pretty bad sleep adptnea and sleeping is hell without it.

6. Off all my friends who enlisted in the military, many went into the Army or Marines. I'm the only one to actually be involved in combat.

7. My car was stolen from me when I was inside a Taco Bell getting lunch. I also lost my cell phone, which was in the car at the time.

8. I went to 15 professional baseball games last year and no home team won. That was 8 Mets, 5 Yankees, 1 Nationals, and 1 Cubs games.

9. I belong to the Disney Vacation Club, we go to Disney World usually twice a year.

10. I have a sister who is 20 years younger then me, almost exactly. Her birthday is Feb. 10th 1988 and mine is Feb. 17th 1968.

8. starfox

starfox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I will as well, when my nails look particularly bad. It's a relaxing experience that everyone should try.

9. Lt_Rowy

Lt_Rowy Commander Red Shirt

10 facts about me: :cool:

1. I have two university degrees, one a bachelor of arts the other a graduate diploma in education
    2. I have been diagnosed with a hearing impairment and need hearing aids
    3. I converted to Islam in 2007 and have not regretted it.
    4. I have seen the movie Volcano over 100 times
    5. My boyfriend got me into Star Trek. I am ashamed to admit that I used to slam people who watched it...I apologise sincerely cos its great!
    6. I am a speed reader...it took me 2 days to read two Enterprise novels!
    7. I have 5 tattoos....a dragon, two chinese symbols that mean determination and eternity, a spider and a unicorn
    8. I have a gigantic crush on Connor Trinneer!
    9. I got busted by the cops for drinking on the street and kicked out of a nightclub in the space of 30 minutes last year in Perth!
    10. I think pineapple flavoured chocolate is weird but nice at the same time!

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

1. My everyday nemesis is the traffic/commute (well, most of the time anyway).

2. I go to the bathroom an average of three to four times a day, which is normal for me.

3. I Krazy-glued the dead bolt on the front door last night because I was sick and tired of stupid relatives' keeping the goddamn door double-locked during the day, which was very frustrating and time-consuming for me to open. Dad was pissed and so he restored the dead bolt.

4. I go out to lunch with a group of coworkers/buddies once or twice a month, and everybody loves to vent, moan, and bitch about people at work. But I don't whine as much as the other folks.

5. Although my family and I don't celebrate Chinese New Year (which is next week), I like handing out red envelopes with cash to my nephews and nieces (it's fun to do some cultural diversity activity).

6. There are times I wish I had my own place and could live by myself.

7. I think mechanics and auto repair shops are the bane of existence.

8. In reference to #7, I need to have a lot of work done on my car but don't want to flush thousands of dollars down the toilet.

9. I plan on going to the Harry Potter World in Orlando, FL, this year. Either that or take a starter cruise.

10. My work buddies and I are having fun with Spanish. Although I'm not fluent, I've taken several classes and can easily write, read, or understand Spanish. So now, my buddies come to me and ask questions like I'm some kind of expert. :lol:

11. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

1. I'm a 24 year old virgin who has never been kissed.
    2. I'm a sexually repressed Catholic who suffers from severe Catholic's guilt (see #1).
    3. I find it very hard to pronounce the "th" sound and think it should be purged from the english language.
    4. I'm majoring in geology and minoring in biology.
    5. My paternal grandparents are Germans who grew up in Nazi Germany. They lived in, witnessed, and experienced some very bad stuff, to say the least.
    6. I'm a Baltimoron and have a Baltimore accent.
    7. I like duck pin bowling and lacrosse.
    8. I do not understand the male obsession with blonds and generally find blonds the least attractive. I like brunettes, specifically black hair and brown eyes.
    9. In high school I seriously considered becoming a Franciscan Friar for some time.
    10. I used to be a devout religious believer but then become an atheist and to be honest I am starting to regret it as everything seems to have gone downhill since then. :(

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can always go back, you know. ;)