Portal Dalek. Just because.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Cutter John, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

D'aww. That is adorable.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I have very little idea what Portal is all about but I do like the look of that.

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You have a gun. But it doesn't shoot bullets. It shoots ... "portals". Shoot one wall and you get a portal with a blue ring around it. Shoot the opposite wall and you get a portal with an orange ring around it. If you stand in front of the blue portal, you might see your own back through the orange portal. Now step through and you step out of the orange portal. If you now shoot the ceiling, you'll get a blue portal on the ceiling. Step back through the orange portal and you'll fall out of the blue portal onto the floor.

Now you're thinking with portals.

You're also trapped in the Aperture Science laboratory complex. A laboratory complex controlled by a computer. A laboratory complex controlled by an insane computer. A laboratory complex controlled by an insane computer with a jealous crush on you.

The insane computer with a jealous crush on you is named GLaDOS and she wants to "test" you. Partly out of revenge and partly because she loves you. Did I mention GLaDOS is insane?

Anyway, from such simple elements one of the most enjoyable games you'll ever play emerges.

5. Cutter John

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

just looks like a Dalek with a claw and a camera instead of an eye-stalk and stumpy lights to me.

7. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

And it's exactly the kind of re-design they should've done when they restarted the show in 2005. The slavish adherence to some of the hokey elements may play well to the traditionalists, but that's about it.

Seriously, the toilet plunger should've been the first thing to go. It's only there out of some misguided sense of tradition. No, it doesn't matter how they try to make the toilet plunger "dangerous" it's still a toilet plunger.

The long eyestalk is equally ridiculous and tactically unsound. A shorter one has always made more sense.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The plunger may look ridiculous, but, it's used for an interface, so, at least it has a story purpose. I always laugh at the hand mixing beater, myself

9. Cutter John

The suction cup never bothered me that much. I thought the 7th Doctor story (where it was a R2D2 type computer interface instea dof a suction cup) and NuWho have made good use of the thing.

Can't really blame the designers though. It was a lot easier and cheaper solution than trying to engineer and film some sort of mechanical arm.
    Though it would have been nice if we'd seen them use interchangeable attachments more often.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you want clawed Daleks and some other variations of design, then check out MechMasters Cinema4D modeled and rendered comic "Second Empire".

http://www.mechmaster.co.uk/cg-lair/daleks/secemp-index.htm

You'll see more claws and design mods than you can count. Plus, he offers sevewral of his meshes for download. (Don't let the Poser format scare you away. Each zip file contains a separate .OBJ file that one can import in a variety of rendering suites.)

Sincerely,

Bill