"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now, there's a right side and a wrong side to these reflectors.

[​IMG]

As far as I'm concerned, the shady side is the right side. ;)

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I am so glad that we're filming in a sub-tropical environment. It's probably hotter ambient temperature wise (around 100F when we wrap at noon), it's definitely more humidity (around 95% the whole time we film), but at least there's plenty of trees to stand under and set up under. I shot last weekend with the cast in the shade and me in the sun, and I practically died by the time we wrapped for the day.

Anyways, we feel for you filming in the sun light like that.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Nice T-shirt, have a few of them myself.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

[​IMG]

Related to my previous post, this is the interface artwork that appears on the prop used by Dr. Valerie Young in POLARIS. It is based on graphics seen on the Command Deck set, and was printed on translucent material so that the practical lights on the prop (red and yellow) can show through the white areas. Sections of the upper portion were cut away to fit elements of the prop and allow practical switches to come through.

The four letter designators by each of the triangles are the first initial and first three letters of the last names of members of the crew who decorated the Command Deck Set.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great! This is giving me my geek-fix of the day. What can you tell us about the cool looking script on the 12 buttons?

6. Maurice

It's based on a font called Omnicron that Dennis used with modifications on some of the Command Deck displays and so on. I took some of the letters and then cut them up and rearranged them to make symbols that looked like letters but weren't recognizable.

The idea for the control surface is that there are four sensor modes (the triangles), and you can drag the columns of icons for REC, SCAN and REV (as on a smartphone) to line up different combinations to do different things. I used to design video game interfaces so I automatically think a little about how to make something functional, even if it's never shown actually being used. It just "smells right" if it's thought out.

7. CorporalCaptain

8. Admiral Buzzkill

9. Admiral Buzzkill

We didn't all have to wear costumes...

[​IMG]

10. CorporalCaptain

What sort of matte work are you planning to do in the location shots? I know you are putting in the galaxy. Will you be adding other elements, like mountains or structures, and will you be covering up things like vegetation and structures that had to be in shot?

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep, and various kinds of color correction. I think we're going to allow for a certain amount of vegetation - it's more plausible that a planet with air we can breathe would have a biosphere than that it wouldn't.

12. Maurice

Hey, I was the most sensibly dressed person on the crew! :)

13. Admiral Buzzkill

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This might have been covered before...but Dennis, Do you make a cameo in the movie? I think that would be kinda fun. :)

15. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Crewman Number 6, mayhaps? :lol:

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Not to give away any major spoilers or plot points, but depending on how a couple of scenes are cut I might have a walk-through (or more likely, sit-down) in the background of one or two shots. Most of us crew got into an outfit at one time or another. Mine is the coolest because DS9Sega designed it as a kind of flight suit.

When I started this, I swore that I wouldn't play a part in it. Acting is a full-time job on the set, as is directing...as is being a producer, for that matter. We all did more than one job behind the scenes, but having been involved in a couple of other productions I knew better than to complicate things unnecessarily. ;)

17. Admiral Buzzkill

18. Admiral Buzzkill

19. Maurice

This image reminds me of all the little bits of improvisation that happen on a film set. The open case in the background wasn't intended to be opened, so when it was decided that Dr. Young (Gina Hernandez) should look like she's taking her scanner gear out of it, it turned out the case just didn't look good open, so I raided some tools from Associate Producer Doug Caprette's kit and "dressed" the case interior with those so that if the camera caught a glimpse of the case it wouldn't look like an empty gray shell...which it was.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  20. Admiral Buzzkill