"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rolleyes:

2. Warp Rider

Warp Rider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To be honest, that makes it sound like it's either him or no one at all. I don't know if that was your intent... but it comes off that way.

'Cause there's no way of knowing when they got their said composer, unless Dennis tells us. Though it is possible that they could of picked one up before Xortex even offered his services.

These things happen and in this universe, anything can happen. Maybe if they continue to do more episodes, they may ask Xortex to score it. Who knows?

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I don't think cheap shots at anyone's expense is kind or helpful.

4. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

But fun nonetheless.. I am genuinely curious to hear his compositional skills put to the test.. I wonder if he'll want to get paid. ;)

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is true.

6. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Bruce Jenner was originally on tap to play Superman until they found an alternate.

7. Psion

This brings up an interesting question ... we've seen the ship and some shots of the sets and actors; do you have any music clips from Polaris that can be shared yet?

8. Maurice

The composer has done some preliminary work on a main theme, but it's basically exploratory material at this point, and something we're not ready to share at this early stage. The actual scoring must wait until major segments of the film are edited, because the composer needs to see the film in order to make decisions about the tone of the music.

That doesn't mean you don't secure the composer well in advance of when the music needs to be written.

9. Psion

And I wouldn't dream of suggesting otherwise. Just remember some of us love soundtracks as much as we love clever writing and jaw-dropping special effects. I'm eager to hear an original score, that's all.

In fact, I buy soundtracks all the time. Perhaps you should consider this as a potential source of additional income and put it up for sale on Amazon? Just a thought.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

That would be up to the composer. We've asked for the rights to use elements created by the artists in the context of the movie and promotion, otherwise they belong to the creators. IOW, if the composer wants to sell his music, that's up to him. If Vektor and aridas wanted to have models made or sell drawings of the space, etc well, they own the designs - we don't.

11. xortex

But you own 'Polaris'. Can he come out with a cd of Polaris music if you own the brand name and trademark?
    Also is the Polaris site up and will he post there or here?

12. Maurice

In short, the composer owns the music and the Copyright to the music. As owner, s/he can do whatever s/he wants with it. If the composer wants to use the Polaris name to promote it (assuming the name adds any value), then s/he would discuss with United Worlds Entertainment.

13. xortex

One more question. When it comes to infringement rights, how differentiated is Star Trek than say any other generic space opera? I'm thinking this is a stupid question but Star Trek has no story except the bodly going wagon train. Does their reach exceed their grasp? or can conceptual overlap occur other than Babylon V takes place in another universe with different aliens say?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, our location shoot this weekend had to be scrubbed as the weather went all to hell. However, we've got a great location which we'll return to in a few weeks - I did a fast photo manipulation of a video still from planet "Phaidros:"

[​IMG]

15. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

16. Maurice

Regarding rights, we can only speak to the arrangements of our own productions. We can't address rights and copyrights held by any other party.

17. xortex

Would 'Polaris' hypothically step on any toes if it were to leap or transition to network t.v.? Is it viable? Does it bear any perceived similarities to anything? Or does it reinvent the wheel as it were. And if not, will it be pitched?

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Who's that strapping explorer on that starry alien world? :)

19. Maurice

More like strapped explorer!

Anyway, the bad news is that our shoot got called on account of rain, which rendered the location unusable for days, forcing a reschedule. The good news is it's afforded Dennis and I and the DP an opportunity to review footage from March's shoot and make adjustments to the now-rescheduled shoot based on that review. It also has afforded us a chance to discuss post-production process, etc. So, while it's disappointing, I think we'll end up with a better result because of the delay.

As to the questions about what Polaris is and plans for it, at this time it's intended as a stand-alone one-off film. It's a "space opera" in the way Star Trek or Forbidden Planet are, meaning it's a genre cousin to things like that, just as Gunsmoke and Bonanza were related by genre, but not specifics.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Would be better if it was at night time, and if it wasn't an exterior view of a galaxy.