Playmates Toys

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by captainjellico, Aug 13, 2019.

1. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I was a little surprised at no Prodigy stuff……I mean kids like toys too right? :biggrin:

XelosTi, publiusr, Sakonna and 4 others like this.
  2. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

SOOO EXCITED!!! Everything here looks amazing, and I might have to buy it all! :D

Tomalak, C.E. Evans and KennyB like this.
  3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm truly shocked the first wave doesn't include anything from PROD. Instead of the newest hero ship Protostar, we're getting the TOS Enterprise that many of us back in the day missed out on (the image suggests it's even an improvement).

Sweet.

4. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm certainly going to buy all the figures, even though I am slightly disappointed regarding the selection of the first wave... I'm glad they added Saru and Burnham, even though I would have rather seen them in their S4 uniforms instead of S2. But no PRO figures is a real awkward choice... Also, while I really like the likenesses, I do think that the older Playmates figures did a better job with the hips and legs, especially the way the joints are connected. So all in all, a bit disappointed, but still happy we're finally getting real DSC action figures..!

saddestmoon likes this.
  5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they made the right choice with Burnham and Saru - the S1-3 costumes are still the iconic look for their characters. They may not have had a reference for the S4 costumes when the figures were in development anyway.

6. brandnewfan

brandnewfan Commander Red Shirt

I guess I'm just a little pessimistic. It's something wrong with my internal wiring lol

The McFarlane Toys line was supposed to go for a while but only ever released Kirk and Picard. I just hope this new Playmates line will continue for at least a few years, with multiple releases.

7. brandnewfan

It would be so awesome if we could get a toy line that goes as extensive as Star Wars has, where like every character and their sister gets an action figure.

Anyone have a wish list of figures they hope get made, other than the standard bridge crews?

8. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't personally collect action figures but...

The Outrageous Okona! And the First Electorine of Haven.

9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

As well as characters from the new series, I'd love to see a few more gaps plugged from the 90s line - Commander Shelby and pretty much everyone from DS9 after season 4 (Martok, Weyoun, Damar, Ezri and a decent Nog).

10. brandnewfan

A genuine Nog figure is necessary.

11. brandnewfan

I hope the Prodigy and Lower Decks figures will look similar to the figures from the other shows. So not too cartoony.

I doubt they'll do that though, if the intention is to appeal to kids.

12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lower Decks is not supposed to appeal to kids...

But the figures should still look like the show, imo.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mcfarlane is notoriously unreliable. They do excellent work but I have seen other runs not make it to completion.

Playmates is a brand with significant history. I am more hopeful.

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I do not collect figures. I would go for the Enterprise, depending on the price and build quality.

Commander Troi likes this.
  15. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Enterprise looks nice, even if the four lights at the corners of the saucer are a bit too yellow for my liking and the inner warp nacelle grille thingy seems off center. The action figures are a mixed bag for me. The Wrath of Khan figures look alright. TNG figures aside from Data look alright. Data looks off, like something wrong with the shape of his head or his hair. Saru figure looks okay, but the Burnham figure looks very rough. She looks flat nosed like a pug, and the fingers of her hands seemed fused whereas the other figures had separated digits on each hand.

16. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Entertainment Earth has the figs up for preorder for $15.99, the phaser for $29.99 and the Enterprise for $49.99.

shapeshifter, Paul755, JN2849 and 2 others like this.
  17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Given how much toys in general have gone up in price over the years, that's not bad. It could be even a couple of dollars cheaper in brick & mortar stores.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably would be, as Entertainment Earth tends to have a small mark up. For the size of the figure that price point is pretty spot on, and the phaser and vehicle are ballpark what I would expect. Pretty impressive if that proves to be the case going forward.

19. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I dunno that I would say “shocked” or “awkward” about no Prodigy figures, ships or accessories. In fact the more I think about it the more it makes sense they would kick off the line with more recognizable (to a mass audience) characters. Especially since they will be fighting for shelf space at Target, WalMart, etc…it’s the same reason the very first wave in the 90’s was the main TNG crew plus some aliens (a Borg, Gowron and a Romulan if I’m not mistaken).

Not to mention, the animated characters are gonna be the most difficult to translate if they are able to do them at all. It’s like the discussion with the Eaglemoss ships for LD. Do they do the figures cartoony or do they try to make them look “real”.

20. JN2849

JN2849 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Price point is too high, even taking Bidenflation into account. You can get 8-inch Mego figures (including Star Trek), Star Wars: TVC, and MOTU Origins figures cheaper than you can these.

They’re close to charging premium prices for figures that are not premium-level figures. $12.99 would’ve been about what I expected. At $15.99 they may not get the same type of reaction from consumers.