Plans of DS9

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by theblitz, May 5, 2018.

1. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

Where can I find a copy of the plans of the new DS9 station?
    As far as I remember a plan was included with one of the books.
    However, since most of my books are second hand, I didn't get a copy with the books.

2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn’t aware of this so checked out the memory beta.

Looks interesting, but what’s the rationale for the connected docking pylons? It seems to prevent their use as docking pylons.

DS9forever likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here is an article on the station, includes some drawings

https://www.thetrekcollective.com/2013/11/behind-scenes-of-new-deep-space-9.html

There are docks along the outside of them (I think)

[​IMG]

Personally I hate the design, I think it's ugly.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    theblitz likes this.
  4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Doug Drexler had images on a webpage at one point. I assume the new DS9 is on the cover of SOTL 2019 this year.

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I've been assuming those are docking structures, but we haven't gotten much detail on how the station actually functions. Even the scale is a little up-in-the-air, never mind stuff like whether the Defiant lives in one of those big garages on the outer ring or docks to one of the pylons.

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’m not familiar with this question of its’ correct scale. Doesn’t its’ ‘fit’ with a Galaxy class ship lock in it’s dimensions?

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Probert's drawings have the diameter of the station about the same as the original DS9, with a docked Galaxy positively looming under the ring, while the actual book covers scale up the station so a Galaxy doesn't take up so much space. Actually, the difference is probably about the same as how big DS9 and the -D were on-screen versus how large they were "supposed" to be.

The smaller station, and again.

The larger station

Of course, anyone who wants to get really uptight about ship scales in Trek is welcome to join the bloody battle royales constantly roiling in the DSC and Tech forums. Though it's a little important, since at the smaller size, the Defiant may fit in the big garages, and at the larger size, the Defiant will fit comfortably even in the small garages. It might even fit in the small narrow open bays next to the garages, depending on how deep they are (they're just flat pictures of shuttlebays on the models, so it's hard to say).

I'm also still trying to figure out if those small rings around the center pole are connected by very thin spires that are nearly invisible, or they just float free and are only accessible by transporter or something.

ryan123450, JoeP and Tuskin38 like this.
  8. ryan123450

Wow I never noticed that discrepancy before. I’d vaguely calculated its’ size a while back based on those original plans. I’m planning, eventually, to get it 3D printed like I have a couple dozen other ships, all in 1/5000 scale. It’s interesting and somewhat dissapointing that it has the same changing scale problem that the original station had.

9. DS9forever

The old DS9 wasn't the problem, it was depicting the Enterprise, the Defiant etc near it based on the SFX at the time.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Given that they've done Aventine, Titan and the Concept C and Phase Two Enterprise I am hoping that Eaglemoss do Nu-DS9 at some point in the future.

DS9forever likes this.
  11. ryan123450

Yeah that would be an amazing pick.

12. DS9forever

Slightly off-topic, has the larger version of the Defiant been released yet?. The smaller version was disappointing, with the loose deflector array and missing detail at the back of the nacelles.

And a model of the new DS9 would be brilliant.

13. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Not yet. Plus I like my model of her, given how I have her displayed (facing outward) the lack of detail on the back of the nacelles doesn't bother me at all.