Picard's jacket

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TOMFAN, Jul 11, 2016.

1. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Was it ever explained why they changed the shoulders on Picard's jacket from leather, to fabric?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally, I think the leather looks much better!

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

That's a great name for a band: "Picard's Jacket"

Terok Nor, Jedman67 and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  3. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

The leather was threatening to outshine the captain.

Terok Nor and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  4. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always wondered why they had him wearing a jacket in the first place. I mean I know why Torres on Voyager was wearing the jacket/smock in season 4 of Voyager. But the same reason would not apply for Picard. :)

I think the fabric one actually looks better.

5. Queen Mab

Queen Mab Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm afraid I think they both were silly. Why did he have a jacket with such different cut and cloth to other people.

I thought it was silly that Starfleet changed their uniform that much to be honest.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I recall an interview from the time where the producers wanted various outfits for Picard after being on the air 4 seasons. Kirk's second tunic was inspiration needed to create a 2nd "look" for Picard.

7. Scotchy

Scotchy Commander Red Shirt

I always wondered the opposite. They seemed to send people on away missions without giving much thought to the environment on the surface or how the weather could rapidly change. Some of the places they got stuck (like Mab-Bu VI in Power Play) had some chilly looking weather. In the Trek films they would dress for the environment using jackets, or even parkas. But in the series they rarely changed clothes for missions (other than Worf's occasional ninja outfits.)

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard they wanted an "action outfit" for the captain so he'd look cool in fight scenes.

Jacket anecdote: My friend Frank liked the Jacket so much when he first saw it in "Darmok", that he begged my wife to make one for him. He supplied all the material, and we sat in front of the TV, FFing and REWing a tape of Darmok for hours, making sketches. She mad a really nice copy of the jacket, but the end result is that she refuses to ever see that episode again. She's been known to scream and run from the room if it's on. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Tanyanoel, Terok Nor and OtherGene like this.
  9. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was Darmok the first time the jacket was seen?

10. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

11. Worf99

Worf99 Ensign Newbie

I believe it was the first time the leather one was seen.

12. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

As I recall, Picard's jacket was there to conceal Patrick Stewart's pregnancy, so viewers wouldn't suddenly ask who the father of Picard's baby was after Stewart gave birth.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Arpy, Terok Nor, OtherGene and 7 others like this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved Picard's jacket. Never noticed there were two versions, I like the leather one better. Not sure why he ever stopped wearing it, or why he wore that big thick Wesley-style sweater underneath. He must have been baking.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the alternate uniform at first, but looking back not so much. It's bulky, and looks uncomfortable. A better choice might have been an update of the Kirk/Scotty "bomber" jacket. That one was a good design.

15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's just as silly as Kirk's wrap-around tunic.

I actually liked both Picard's jacket and Kirk's tunic.

16. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure they ditched the leather one because the studio lighting made it too shiny. He looked more like an old biker instead of a Starship Captain.

Also, that thing had to be hot, maybe not as hot as TOS movie uniforms but still too hot to be worn indoors....or in ship.

TOMFAN likes this.
  17. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

I've decided that all of the Star Trek movies must have the ship temperature set near freezing, the TNG movie ones look like winter gear.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  18. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That makes sense. Cheers!

19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Yeah, I agree with this - Star Trek has continued the tradition of Captains variants - the white dress uniform in INS for example, and the 'vest' variant of the First Contact uniform which in its first appearance was only seen on Picard and later only on Sisko (and Sloane for some reason).

20. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I happen to know that the leather patches were stitched on by Picard himself when he went through a rebellious rock phase. He had intended to attach a massive Motorhead logo to the back of the jacket but Admiral Nechayev spotted the patches and ordered him to remove them. He sulked in his quarters for a few days, listening to Judas Priest and Black Sabbath, before returning to duty with the new jacket.

A deleted scene from 'Ethics' features Picard in the holodeck rocking out with Lemmy but it was felt it wasn't in keeping with the themes of the episode.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Seven of Five and F. King Daniel like this.