Picard Budget

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Go-Captain, May 9, 2020.

1. Go-Captain

Go-Captain Captain Captain

I remember reading Picard is the most expensive Star Trek ever at $8-9 million but where did the money go? I ask because Discovery's two seasons are far more polished and lavish looking, and everything is obviously made from scratch for the show. Picard isn't bad looking as a whole, it has a couple good CG scenes, sets, and props but it took obvious shortcuts not required of DIS.

Did all the money go to location shooting and paying Patric Stewart, or is this a symptom of a rushed time table for the whole show, not just the finale? Or am I misinterpreting the cost of certain scenes or whole episodes?

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking paying actors, probably who you mentioned, Brent Spiner, etc.. Maybe the effects they wanted to use cost more, maybe it was rushed like you mentioned.

TedShatner10 and MrPicard like this.
  3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling they made up the difference of having these actors by cutting episode count from 13 down to 10.

TedShatner10, Random_Spock and Danja like this.
  4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, set design and construction. They've done a two-story standing set with La Sirena alone...and that, they're expecting to use for at least two more years.

Sci, TedShatner10 and Random_Spock like this.
  5. Pubert

Pubert Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But those miniature Christmas light strewn throughout some of the sets were so expertly hung. Ugh they were terrible.

6. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The money definitely didn't go towards fly-throughs of the Borg cube.
    And you can't compare season 1 of a show with season 2.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Random_Spock likes this.
  7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Disco's helm chair may have been a spinning hot seat, but everyone who sat in it had experience producing television. Picard was helmed by a novelist with very little experience in cinema.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surrounded by people who do have that experience. Chabon had able help at every step, and a lead actor comfortable working with him so far as I can see.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Random_Spock and Lord Garth like this.
  9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Picard went over budget, but certainly, the intent was to bring it under Discovery's budget, probably at $7 million per episode (pattern budget). They got a $15 million tax credit from California, but even with this, they probably averaged 1st season Discovery money.

RAMA