Spoilers Picard 1x1, "Remembrance"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 8, 2020.

?

Rate the episode

1. Excellent

64.3%
  2. Good

28.2%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Yeah that movie lost me with the Kirk dying scene. I could forgive all the Khan shenanigans, but that was just gratuitous

2. serabine

serabine Commander Red Shirt

Oh, every time, with everything.

I knew this thread was trouble when it walked in.

KennyB, Blooded, Jayson1 and 2 others like this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did too and it turned me off. Then I watched the movie and thoroughly enjoyed. From then on I sit by my computer with a bucket of salt.

4. J.D.

J.D. Lieutenant Red Shirt

@Blooded Honestly I didn't want to read the post to remain in the dark till 23rd, but I so don't regret I did. That was one brilliant review! Thank you so much, makes me even more excited for the show, I cannot wait!:bolian:

Unimatrix Q and Blooded like this.
  5. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But you like everything.

:D

Blooded likes this.
  6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Problem with that one was that everyone guessed the twist from the first trailer.

Unimatrix Q and urbandk like this.
  7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry to keep derailing the discussion, but...

"Prototype" is damning enough on its own, and perfectly nails it in the general context, too. That Data is the only AI out there is proof enough that nobody wants AIs. But that Data is out there is also proof that nobody cares enough to kill or even jail him, like they would an Augment.

...Not unlike Riker or Picard.

Fajo also collects pottery. Nothing suggests the nature of Data would be appreciated by him.

For comparison, Riker and Picard were also kidnapped and considered worth the effort, their captors finding them fascinating.

Bashir was born excited. But the point of "Birthright" here is twofold: first, that Data is Bashir's only choice for a target of study (because efforts to duplicate, imitate or compete with him have not been made in the preceding decades), and second, that Data fascinates Bashir exactly because he has never been studied before and the Doctor thus can't read all about it in a book. Essentially, Bashir's case is a sad confirmation of a rule through being an exception to it.

But that's Data the Starfleet hero. I doubt Torres would recognize Captain DeSoto, say, but again the VOY heroes are very familiar with Riker and Picard. They would know Data, too. He is a person of interest all right, at that point of pseudohistory. But nobody is interested in his androidness, in him being a "technological marvel". It's more like he's a disabled or disadvantaged person who nevertheless does good...

Which may go a long way in explaining why Machine Men are uninteresting. If they were manufactured, they would be hated.

Yet nobody builds a new Data. Or a new Norman. Or a new Ruk.

Yet Mudd builds two-bit androids for his criminal schemes (or gets those from Norman's place?). Dr. Mulhall is ready to build androids to give Sargon, Thalassa and our good Henoch proper bodies. And Soong did churn out androids left and right. It's not as if it couldn't be done. It's just that it isn't done, and when it does get done, people look the other way, and thus Data drifts to Starfleet and starts gathering dust there.

I gather the Frankenstein complex here is pretty much the same as the antipathy towards genetic improvement. Only, the Augments happened before people developed their fear and hatred of those. The Synths killed tens of thousands and perhaps millions only after centuries of distrust (and the sound of "I told you, I told you!" must have been loud enough to be heard across vacuum, like Eminian guns).

Timo Saloniemi

8. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The latter.

No worries! I hope it was more of a tease, than an outright spoiler-filled report, though!

Markonian likes this.
  9. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Do the episodes contain flashbacks at all?

10. Blooded

Not in the traditional sense. As seen in a trailer, some of the Mars attack is shown to us via what is a dream sequence. So a coming together of both, I guess.

11. Blooded

From the trailer that aired after the first episode, the latter one has TAXI written on the side of it, so it certainly seems those old shuttles have been repurposed, rather than being used by Starfleet as top of the line shuttles.

12. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Thanks

13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    It's kinda weird to read this thread now and not open the spoiler tags.
    But it's interesting to see other folks excitement grow as they DO read them.

Not sure if I can hold out till next Thursday, but I'm going to give it my best shot.
    :)

antinoos, Midquest, Markonian and 3 others like this.
  14. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

I've read most of the spoilers for and my excitement has only grown. This sounds way too good to be true.

antinoos, Midquest, KennyB and 2 others like this.
  15. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

So....is there a Title Theme at all? And what´s it like? I´ve read on twitter that its basically a low key version of the TNG theme..?

16. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Soooooooo anyone going to the Berlin event tomorrow night? We've had members at the other two!

Markonian, urbandk and BillJ like this.
  17. Blooded

I don’t even know where that started, or how it then gathered pace, but the title theme is NOT a low key version of the TNG theme.

A few bars of it appear right at the end, much like the Discovery theme incorporates TOS at its end.

18. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

That would be interesting.

I grew up in Germany. All foreign programs are dubbed and lip-synced. As a child, I failed to realise the actors were not speaking German.
    I wonder if they get the old German TNG voice talent back (those of whom are still alive) or just premiere it in English with subtitles.

I remember how weird it was that Tom Paris received a new voice halfway through VOY. :)

„Dies sind die Reisen des neuen Raumschiffs Enterprise...“ :hugegrin:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Blooded, Unimatrix Q and KennyB like this.
  19. KennyB

It was in this tweet that people are still defending that has been debunked by at least 10 people I KNOW saw it.
    Capture.JPG

Blooded likes this.
  20. KennyB

I live here now in extreme Southwest.....still can't get used to that title on Netflix!

Markonian likes this.