Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by PattyW, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

That really makes no sense. People start threads all the time about fanfilms they are not involved in. This is especially true of when Phase II is "filming". Everyone is too busy to post stuff here. And, again, it's not limited to Phase II. People notice stuff is happening in the fanfilm world, wait and watch and see it not shared here, and they share it.

And it's pretty silly to suggest I can be happy not to be "part of the team" but can't support and appreciate the work they are doing, or, well, in this case, can't even talk about it with others. Jack Komack was the worst person to work for in the world, but that didn't stop me from having him produce one of my scripts. I suspect Bill Gates is someone I wouldn't want to work for, but, hey, I like his computers. All the same thing.

They've posted Captain Spock and Admiral Withrow pics with a new uniform designed by James....so you should go check out their FB page....because if I post them here it will mean....well, I don't know, you'll have to fill in the blank LOL

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. PattyW

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Since I don't give a shit about the behind-the-scenes bickering, I'm just going to keep talking about Phase II.

I love all of the lost 70's elements that are being introduced. Is there any chance we'll see more from Planet of the Titans- either the story itself or more of the visual concepts? I must admit that seeing the Phase II Enterprise departing from the asteroid base was pretty thrilling. And I still can't believe that I can now watch "Kitumba" any time I want to.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Of all the great things they've done, I was incredibly underwhelmed by "Kitumba". I thought it was their weakest outing.

5. Kelso

Oh, I really enjoyed "Kitumba." The only one I don't really care for is "The Child."

6. JT Perfecthair

JT Perfecthair Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree with this, Kitumba was fun and exciting. The Child was awful, and as Space 1999 did the same story 20 years before TNG its been awful 3 times.

I reiterate what I said on the Phase2 forum back when it still worked, to many of us the behind the scenes tales of Phase2 are as interesting as what makes it to the camera. All of you involved need to write your books on the experience. Just do something up on Lulu like the Wil Wheaton books, we'll buy them.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Which script was that?

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

is that betras mcvindenpawl?

(i can't remember her name, something woods? but she's bloody awesome in every fan film i've seen her in)

9. Jay

Jay Commander Red Shirt

As a fan of Ms. Wright's, I can answer that:

http://amybethinverness.com/2011/04/15/interview-with-patty-wright/

10. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Rebecca Wood. :)

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

ah thanks!

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Thanks, but I'd rather she comment on this herself, especially to know the episode title and why Komack was "the worst person to work for in the world". :)

13. PattyW

I personally thought "The Child" was a big yawn. Maybe because I wasn't impressed with the Deltan guest star's acting. As a mom I thought she was rather flat. Having worked on it closely with Povill I really appreciate what it meant to him, but watching it is another thing.

As for "Kitumba" I liked it for the first couple acts. At the end it's really choppy with a lot of stuff missing so the week that goes by looks like it all takes place in a day. All the sneaking around and fighting to get into the palace where Kargh's office and the prisoners are is missing (for several reasons), so again, it weakens everything because you end up thinking "what's the big deal? All these people just keep walking in and out"...so I can't personally enjoy it until the end. However, I think it's by far the prettiest episode Phase II has ever done. Both the cinematography and special effects are incredible. It's also a triumph of film making. The crew pulled off a miracle - several miracles - filming it, and it was the last time the entire "family" at the time was together. (five of them have died) So it will always have a special place in my heart.

I personally don't think they will ever top "World Enough and Time" though.

Maurice (and thanks to Greg for letting me know to check this thread), the episode title was "Chico's Padre". I'd like to be bragging about it being on the "best of" DVD, but during a private tour of Paramount they explained that the TV shows during the time period were all shot on tape and stored incorrectly, By the time they realized it, they could only salvage a handful of episodes for each one so, say, "The Best of Bosom Buddies" was actually "The Bosom Buddies Episodes We Could Salvage, The Rest Are Lost Forever". (They literally said that about the "best of" DVDs.)

I'm afraid I can't substantiate the "Jack Komack Terror" note. (I was just using it to make a point.) I was told years later by "industry people" when I got involved in the industry and met them. Can't even say for sure who told me, but I was told it was an industry wide known fact. Could have been "Horshack" from "Welcome Back Kotter" or Kevin Kline or Jack Albertson or.... not really sure. I seem to remember stories about him raging and throwing things and being an open dick to people and such... but can't say for sure. I was just told "Thank your lucky stars you didn't get on set". He was good to me. I bought Trek books with the $40. (and the note was vague enough that I couldn't prove anything if I wanted to fight him for credit and more pay. I was 14. I didn't even think that way....)

14. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

Ah the good old days, huh Cap'n? The days when Captain Shelby of the USS Excelsior and Captain Hunter of the USS Intrepid would cross worlds and fight the somewhat evil President Vindenpawl. OI miss Hidden Frontier but glad we still got Intrepid.

Now back on topic. I can't wait see Mind Sifter. A story I read when I was 7 years old. Freaked me out in a fun way. And we get the very talented Rebecca Wood guest starring. I see James Cawley still has an appreciation for talented actors. Out of all the fan films over the years she is my favorite actress. She's just THAT good. :)

Last, let me say that GSchnitzer is a class act, and has become one of my favorite people behind the scenes in fan film production and as a moderator. He has the patience of Job from the Bible. Thanks for trying to keep the peace here dude. You do a good job.

15. sturmde

sturmde Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, this version goes back to the original story's use of Kor as the baddie Klingon, rather than the previous ST:NV/P2 script that was adjusted to use Kargh?

16. Kelso

Yep, they're back to using Kor. And judging by the pics on James Cawley's facebook page, Kor looks glorious!

Also, the Guardian of Forever looks fantastic and the admiral is sporty a spiffy new "Eisenhower jacket".

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  17. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Yes--although even Kor didn't really appear in Shirley's original story. Kor (and the Guardian of Forever for that matter) were added to the story by the editors of the book Star Trek: The New Voyages. In Shirley's original "Mind-Sifter" story for the version as published in the Star Trek fanzine Showcase one year earlier, Chekov, while looking at an old Earth book from 1953, coincidentally notices that two gentlemen in an old photograph are actually Koloth and Korax. (Other than seeing this 1953 photograph of the Klingons, we never actually see them in Shirley's original story. We hear second-hand about what ultimately befalls them, but the book doesn't really "show" it.)

Chekov's serendipitous discovery, of course, ultimately leads to the successful recovery of Captain Kirk.

18. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

May I ask you a question? How hard is it to write a script based on book based story? We've seen novelizations of the movies and some episodes, but this is backwards. AM I making sense? Pretty much the dialogue and the scenes have already been written in the short story. So how can, for example, one script for Mind Sifter be any different than another? (And no this has nothing to do with the discussion up thread. This is a technical question.)

19. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there a possibility that after the new version of Mind-Sifter is released, to also release the original footage with James Cawley and John Carrigan, even in an unfinished version eventually? Similar to the alternate takes or deleted scenes in big feature DVDs? It would be a shame I think for this footage to stay locked away, unseen...
    Speaking of Carrigan, he's dependably played Kaargh on many episodes, he should be given his Trelane role perhaps? (referring to William Campbell's planned continuing returns as Koloth after playing the one-shot man-child)...easily one of my favorites in the Phase 2 company...

20. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, written stories (especially longer novels--say Harry Potter) can't be shown in their entirety. The screenwriter will have to truncate it somehow. What to include and what not to include might cause variations in screenwriters' interpretations. Some scenes read well but don't "show" well. "Spock was concerned about X and Y and Z and was trying to decide whether he should take Action One, Action Two, or Action Three" ends up being filmed (boringly) as Spock sitting at his desk thinking. Different screenwriters might concoct some other plot device as a proxy to demonstrate Spock's uncertainties.

How can two different Spiderman "origins" scripts filmed years apart be different from each other when they are both drawn from the same comic book origin story?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.