Personal "Deal Breakers" for watching Fan Productions

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Matthew Raymond, Jan 27, 2017.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're welcome. :)

2. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Well, in all fairness, Kirk and Scotty were both a bit overweight in the movies. Also, if you look at the real military it is not uncommon to see people who have served for over 10 years become a bit overweight with age.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  3. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

As long as it has a good story I'll watch it.

Terrible acting, special effects, and sound I ignore because it's a fan film, not a professional production that I spent money on. These are made with appreciation of the series, so I don't expect 10/10 IGN reviews.

As far as overweight crew, it bothers me because no matter how you look at it, Starfleet is still a military at its core. Physical requirements will still be mandatory. Comparing to the real world military is not the best thing considering different militarizes have different standards. The U.S. Army standards (at least when I was in): females having slightly lower standards than males, older ages after a certain number start lowering the standards. Starfleet is suppose to be in the future, so honestly they should be healthier, which is hard to portray in the modern day with actors and actresses as they age and take on different roles with different requirements.

A little overweight is fine because that comes with getting older. Can't really stop that.
    Won't stop me from watching the fan film.

The whole Axanar debacle is defiantly something that would stop me from watching. Forcing a particular point of view on someone ("be of this faith because all others are wrong" or something stupid like that) would stop me from watching. Making a big deal out of something that should be normal (THEM: "oh my god they are forcing their gay agenda on me by making Sulu gay!" ME: "Yea, who cares?") would stop me from watching (if it's integral to the story, I might judge it differently.)

Gary7, Firebird and dmac like this.
  4. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

Poorly edited scenes and poorly placed music cues are not necessarily deal breakers, but takes me out of it. One scene comes to mind in a fan film where it was supposed to be deep and meaningful, but the music choice turned it into a Monty Python-esque satire because a Trek cue was used in a different context. I guess they had a limited selection in the Trek soundtracks, but in that particular case, it might have been better to look elsewhere for the cue.

dmac likes this.
  5. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Term "Deal Breakers" is a deal breaker for me. I'd rather go with "areas that require improvement."

Zaminhon likes this.
  6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

Don't watch the one I'm in! :D

Potemkin_Prod likes this.
  7. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In general, if i'm planning to invest some time in watching a show, I want at least TV quality or close to it. (Acting, sound, editing etc). If it's not good enough to interest me, I move along. Potemkin is my main exception because of the format - 4-8 minute shorts and usually hilarious.

Potemkin_Prod, Firebird and dmac like this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whelp, there goes my debut ;)

(starts working on Horta costume)

9. MrBnetV

MrBnetV Ensign Red Shirt

Agreed. I want to see new facets of the Star Trek universe that are not already covered to death like TOS. I've made my own fan films, but one I saw recently that really worked for me was Red Shirt. It was the type of ground level combat situation we saw in DS9 withing what I assume was the Kelvin timeline (based on uniforms) really good stuff.