Perfect example of what they SHOULD have done with the TNG-R FX

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ian Keldon, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Well said.

2. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I have to say the CGI in the remastered eps was good all around, but I was really impressed by the D'Deridex reveal in "Neutral Zone". Perhaps it's just that I haven't "Neutral Zone" since the Season 1 DVD set came out, but I felt that the Warbird looked amazing. It seemed imposing, big and really well textured. There even appears to be a new design element, a sort of ripple or fold on the "wings" of the ship. I actually said "Whoa!" outloud upon seeing it. The CGI E-D looks good, though there are a few times I *know* it's a CGI ship and the illusion is shattered. But I have to say, the CGI is well integrated into the show and doesn't seem as alien as it does in TOS-R. (Not that TOS-R is bad, but you notice it more.)

Also, have we gotten a reason as to why that 2 seconds of Riker wasn't HD? Missing film I'm guessing.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

CGI like model work has it's uses. Sure some CGI work can be better than models, but the reverse is also true it can be worse than model work.

I could pick two examples one model work and 1 CGI work, the space battles in Return of the Jedi (Model) and Revenge of The Sith (CGI). To me the former ROTJ is superior. But that's just me.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Missing film element for who knows what reasons.

It's important to point out that not all of the effects are being replaced in this, in fact most of them are NOT being replaced and are just the original film elements fully remastered.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As Trekker4747 says, the ships here are not CGI. For TNG, unlike TOS, they still had the original film of the miniature photography used in creating TNG's effects, and have simply recomposited those film elements in HD. The only things that have been replaced were things that were created in low-resolution video the first time, like most of the planets, the starscapes, animation elements like phasers and transporter beams, or things that were CGI the first time like the Crystalline Entity. But the ships are the real physical models, the exact same footage that we've been seeing for 25 years, just in much higher resolution than we were able to see it before.

6. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Perhaps you weren't reading the press releases for TNG:HD but the original effects work is only being replaced when they can't find the original filmed elements. Season 1 only has 3 or 4 shots where they had to replicate a shot with CGI.

I would be interested to hear what shots you felt screamed CGI considering 99% of the effects are the original effects recomposited with modern technology. That romulan ship was original, not CGI.