News Peggy Lipton of "The Mod Squad" dies at 72.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by auntiehill, May 12, 2019.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blueness Premium Member

I saw this tonight, as I scanned the news before heading to bed. How sad! The Mod Squad was the one of the first "grown-up" shows I remember watching. I was very small, and didn't really understand it at first, but loved the theme song and would sing it around the house. Only later, when I was a little older, did I appreciate it for what it was--a light bit of action-entertainment, but also one of the first to introduce to "counter-culture" to the mainstream TV audience. To have a multi-racial cast playing police officers and one of them was a woman (gasp!)--for its time, it was revolutionary.

From Variety & NBC News:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Sad news. Really loved Mod Squad when I was a kid.

auntiehill likes this.
  3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Vice Admiral Admiral

Never saw Mod Squad, but she was great as Norma on Twin Peaks.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Aw, no. :(
    I'm doing a Mod Squad rewatch, as it happens. Got a s5 episode qued up for lunch today.

auntiehill likes this.
  5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Entropy sucks...

I never heard she was Rashida Jones mother. Looking at the pictures it seems she was always a beautiful woman.

auntiehill likes this.
  6. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I loved Mod Squad as a kid (I was ten when it first aired and I think 16 when it ended). We lived in California at the time and I thought she was so pretty and how cool was it to have young people as The Fuzz.

The counter-culture was all around you in California. I had a sister who was 6 years older, so knew more than I normally would have at ten about it. She had a friend write to her (no iPhones then and I'm not sure where that friend lived), wanting her to go up to Haight-Ashbury with her, but my snoopy mother intercepted it (she regularly read our mail until I was around 15 or so and started bitching about it ) and shitcanned it and my sister never saw it.

Heh. In the case of Haight-Ashbury, I really can't blame Mum for her reaction.

auntiehill likes this.
  7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

RIP, Peggy Lipton. :( She seemed like a quiet, introverted person, which is unusual for an actor.

auntiehill likes this.
  8. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every guy my age had a crush on her.

Nerys Myk and auntiehill like this.