Oh gods, no... Danny Elfman scoring Terminator? Seriously? WTF?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

This is horrible, IMHO. I simply can not imagine a composer I would less wish involved in Terminator than this.

Elfman isn't a bad composer, mind you, but his whole style is just totally antithesis to Terminator in every way, shape, and form.

Ugh.

Why, oh why? I've had such high hopes for this film, but now the score seems utterly doomed. I can't imagine the same guy who did the 1989 Batman score, and the scores for Spider-Man, doing TERMINATOR. They're so far apart in what they need it's ridiculous.

Elfman is so... and Terminator is so... and...

:(

Ewwwww!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news09/090112b.php

Why the fuck not get Brad Fiedel back? He did great work on the original two! Or hell, I'll even take Marco Beltrami back from T3 over Elfman!

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ They wanted someone with a bigger name. Plus I think that Family Guy has brought him back to a forefront if not by accident (Chris killed him during Family Guy: Blue Harvest).

I have to admit I'm in a minority that would have liked to have McCreary from the TV show.

3. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

I've loved his work on TSCC, BSG, and Eureka. I think he could do a fine job on a Terminator film.

4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Excellent. If he can pull something off like his work for "Mission: Impossible 1", then great.

He is also scoring "The Wolfman", and "9" (based the on the short movie which you can see on YouTube). He also recorded a score a bit back for the upcoming movie "Notorious" (yes, based on the rapper).

5. Frontier

At least with MI, he worked with the damn classic theme. So far, no such here. If he includes the Terminator theme? I'll be so satisfied to hear it, I won't care that it's Elfman scoring the film. LOL.

I, too, wish McCreary had gotten the gig. But it was doubtful to happen. He's still too new, too young, for a "big budget" motion picture. At least, in the industries eyes. Never mind that his work on nBSG has really, REALLY influenced A LOT of other composers, even if they won't admit it... never mind that he was the protege of Elmer Bernstein. Never mind that he went from being an under-study on the mini-series to scoring the series and not only lived up to the task, but exceeded all expectations by leaps and bounds and gave the show one of the most unique and awesome scores of modern television history, right? Never mind that he's managed to capture the spirit of many T2 themes in his work on SCC without actually duplicating said themes, but by just using their spirit to create new work along the same creative lineage...

*sigh*

Why do the composers I love typically get under-appreciated? I mean, Jerry Goldsmith was always second-string in people's minds to John Williams, when William is a repetative hack IMHO and Goldsmith truly took risk. Shirley Walker from Batman: TAS and Space: Above & Beyond amongst other shows did so much great work, yet was never truly appreciated in her day and is only now, after her untimely death at only 63, getting the recognition she deserves in some circles. And Bear, who went in such radical new directions rather than falling back on the tried-and-true sci-fi stereo-type of instrumental orchestrations and in the process redefined what a sci-fi score, and a score in general, could be...

Not fair. Seriously not fair for them. Such talent, unappreciated.

And in this case, all for want of a name. A lousy name.

6. Thurisaz

Thurisaz Lieutenant Commander

Screw that! Bring back the guy with the synth that did T1! Talk about getting back in the Terminator mood.

7. Frontier

Fiedel. He did T1 and T2. I hated the synth, but it fit T1. Still, despite the synth, he did a great score. T2's score was the best Terminator music EVER though.

Why they don't hire him back I have no fucking clue. It's bullshit. Was BS with T3. Now it's worse BS with T4.

When a franchise has an identifiable theme? You don't AVOID IT! You USE IT! Hello?

Wars?
    Trek?
    Bond?

Rest my case.

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. I guess I'm in the minority-I can't even remember any of the themes from the T movies. I think Elfman might surprise us-he has talent. He just needs to take some ludes or acid or something before he begins writing the music....

9. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread title :lol:

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Would you guys be happy if it was John Williams scoring T4? :lol:

11. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I don't remember Terminator at all.

Because in my mind 'Men in Black,' 'Spider-Man,' and 'Batman,' all seem similar to what Terminator was.

What the heck was the music anyway? Polka or something strange like that? My memory must be going.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Really? Not even "Da-Da, Da, Da-Da. Da-Da, Da, Da-Da"?

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was hoping Bear McCreary would get the nod as well...oh well. I guess that I will wait until the soundtrack comes out to see if I want it or not.

14. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

When the Terminator is chasing a car at 50Mph they can play the "The Flash" theme music!!!

15. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Fiedel is retired, he's not interested in scoring movies anymore. And I doubt he's want to make a comeback with this large piece of dookey.

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a big fan of Bear McCreary, especially his Battlestar Galactica work. I would have loved to have had him score Terminator Salvation but Danny Elfman isn't all bad. I didn't hate his Spider-Man work as most do, and I was impressed with his work on Milk. I am curious to hear what he comes up with.

17. Frontier

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ As much as I love the Terminator theme from the films, I have to admit that I've been listening to Bear McCreary's TSCC's soundtrack and the main theme from it has replaced The Terminator Theme for me (Specifically Sarah Connor's theme).

Opening Credits
    Sarah Connor's Theme
    End Credits

19. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Didn't McCreary allude in his blog to causing one of the seasons of BSG to start late because he had trouble completing the music?

I'm not trying to dog on him. McCreary's "Roslin and Adama" theme was an instant classic. But I can see how that might cause problems career wise, especially when it comes to major motion pictures.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't believe that all my ridiculous videos get pulled from Youtube for copyright violations when I see stuff like this. Like I had one with some of the funny censored TV dubbed lines from Die Hard 2 get yanked.