Odd Looking TMP Images

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Vger23, Nov 25, 2016.

1. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

The link I provided to a similar / larger pic in the 7th post in this thread demonstrates its the same saucer bevel as we've all come to know and love (also these).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

These are great photos and thank you for putting together these comparisons.

To my eye, the biggest differences between the Abel and Trumbull versions are the near 90 degree angled walls surrounding the docking port on the bridge deck on the Abel version and how awkwardly tall that level appears on the model in the lower right image.

The changes made after Trumbull was hired are more appealing to me as the entire ship feels more streamlined and sleek. The 90 degree walls around the docking port just seem so "pedestrian" and boring compared to the angled walls on the Trumble version.

Thanks again for sharing!
    Pierre

3. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

I can't take credit for that collage found it myself on the net.

Andrew Probert had come up with the final bridge and B/C deck design (see this site):

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/designing-the-motion-picture-enterprise/

And I have heard / read that there may have been some argument about using it, but that was settled when there was an accident and a dripping AC unit ruined the "Taylor" version anyway. There's a famous photo of Taylor, Roddenberry and Robert Wise inspecting the damage to the bridge and B/C deck (see below); I can almost imagine Probert seeing his opening and saying "hey, I got a great idea for a better design while we're at it..." :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Man, ST: TMP just couldn't catch a break in its production. Every time I hear another story, it's always some problem or set back. Now it's a leaky AC unit.

It's almost so comical in a way, you'd think the studio guys were saying, "This fucking thing is costing us a bundle and it's probably gonna bomb. How can we drive them production team crazy so they'll throw their arms up and scream and quit? I know! Can anybody make an AC unit leak on purpose..."

PhotoBoy likes this.
  5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

And from what I've read, some cameramen hated the model and hoped to blow it up in later films.

Bezos has it now--out in the open--where I'm sure some kid will knock it over.