Obverse Books releasing The Gold Archive

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Sep 8, 2021.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Still waiting for editorial feedback on my Birthright monograph -- editor Paul Simpson has been having some health issues, so things have been delayed a bit, unfortunately. Glad to hear good things about the inaugural volumes.....

publiusr likes this.
  2. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hm.. I ordered a couple weeks ago and the order is still processing. Seems slow given the exorbitant overseas postage costs. Oh well.

3. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Oh. You're writing on Birthright? That should be interesting. I mean, I expect I'll be buying all of the Gold Archives, but this seems like a particularly good match of author and subject.

You're not paying for speed, you're paying because international postal rates are insane these days. And there's a global pandemic going on.

Daddy Todd and ATimson like this.
  4. mastadge

Who pooped on your pizza?

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Hey, Earthlings! Stop nuking each other! Moderator

That was uncalled for. Let's not get personal, please.

6. Elwro

Elwro Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I bought the Disco volume, 'Through the Valley of Shadows' -- the Kindle edition, due to postage prices & times -- and I like it. I agree the author 'gets it' and nicely ties the Disco episode with Menagerie, etc. I've learned interesting tidbits of American history. The birds-eye view the author offers, with the time crystal being a metaphor for how the past & future of Star Trek is reflected in what's going on in this particular Disco episode, is illuminatingly synthetic.

Whenever I encounter pretentious verbiage, I tend to revel in jubilant conviviality. ;-) However, this author has put so much thesauric effort in the piece that it hampers readability. He seems to be proud of how on his view the time crystal is a 'meta-fictional superstructure', a concept which is supposed to be familiar to the readers of his previous Black Archive entry. Whew. Come on. Just like not every two things form a 'dialectic', you don't need to call any element of an episode which relates to a different episode 'metafictional', and not every overarching form needs to be a 'superstructure'. (Also, isn't 'meta' with 'super' just too much? Wouldn't 'metafictional structure' suffice?)

The book could've used another editorial pass. I think some sentences feature in two versions, one next to the other, with the second one being the corrected one :-)

However, don't let me sound too negative here. This is good effort. It's a nice, informative, thought-through volume on an important Disco episode. And it's really cheap. I know I'll be buying more. (@KRAD 's piece for sure.)

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

You're never going to get your Ph.D. with that attitude!

8. mastadge

The first three arrived today in perfect condition. I look forward to reading at least one of them this weekend. I should probably revisit the episode under consideration first, though.

9. historypeats

historypeats Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello! Does anyone know whether more volumes will be published?

10. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

That's certainly the plan. As KRAD mentioned a few posts back, the series editor is having some health issues.

11. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Fleet Captain Premium Member

Thanks, fellow fans, for the reminder. I ordered the first three volumes. They're now safely in Calibre and my Kobo. I'll start one once I finish my current read.

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I think they were spreading them over a couple of batches anyway. I know I delivered mine, so it and the others should turn up in due course this year.

Steve Roby likes this.
  13. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

The editor, Paul Simpson, is recovering nicely from a surgical procedure, and according to his most recent status update, he should be diving back into editing the outstanding monographs (including mine and @Lonemagpie's) by month's end.

14. Stuart Douglas

Stuart Douglas Cadet Newbie

Turbo and Elwro like this.
  15. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral