Obsessed with Star Trek

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by datalogan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One of the question in the book I wasn't sure about. I don't know which number because I don't have the book in front of me. But the book says that Wesley Crusher's middle name is Robert. I always thought it was Eugene. And Memory Alpha also says Robert. But it doesn't say where that comes from. Anyone know where it stated what Wesley Crusher's middle name was?

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The Eugene was originally fan speculation because Wesley was named for Eugene Wesley Roddenberry. Originally, David Gerrold had proposed a girl character, Lesley.

But GR also worked under the name "Robert Wesley" when he was writing for "Highway Patrol" while still an active police officer. Remember that TOS had a Commodore Robert Wesley, who returned as a planetary governor in TAS.

In Larry Nemecek's "TNG Companion", it says that an unused sequence from the final-draft script of "Family", has Jack saying he's about to report to the Stargazer and that Wesley “R.” Crusher was named after Jack's grandfather, Richard Wesley Crusher, who gave Jack his first flying lesson. Wesley “R.” Crusher is also a name later used in Bev's onscreen file, seen in "Conundrum".

A quick Google seems to indicate "Coming of Age" or "The First Duty" as the script that gives Wes' full name.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just skimmed through Trek Core's "The First Duty" script, and I didn't see it there. But I was quick about it, so I could have missed it somewhere.

4. Therin of Andor

Use "Edit", then "Find in page" and continue with "Find again" on your browser.

The page I needed refused to open. It could be that only the "R." is canon, from "Conundrum".

It seems to be an ongoing problem with how "Memory Alpha" and "Memory Beta" entries are made. The first person does a biography and lists the source/sources they used (sometimes all in the one set of parentheses). Then people add refinements to the main entry, and these can get shunted further and further away from their explanatory footnotes by each new refinement or addition. Makes it very hard to go back to the sources that originally informed the body of the entry.

5. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why do people not understand that the term "warp ten" is essentially interchangeable with "infinity", or rather "infinite velocity".

Yes, I know having an actual figure to represent infinite velocity can be confusing to some, but surely after twenty-five years or so the majority of their fans can wrap their heads around it?

Warp 10 is as to speed as 'infinity' is to counting.

You can count from now until doomsday and you will never reach infinity. Likewise you can accelerate from now until doomsday and never reach infinite velocity/warp ten.

Now that's now it works unless I'm way off the mark.

6. Therin of Andor

I don't think we denied that, but the book doesn't offer 9.999999999999999999999 - and we have seen the ship go faster than Warp 9.0. The only other options offered were 8.0 and 14.1.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Which is why multiple choice is such a poor format.

I was once at a trivia contest at a convention of some sort, and not only did the organizers of the contest wrongly think that Harry Mudd's full name was Harcourt Fenton Mudd the Third, but so did most of the people in the audience, apparently. I guess they were getting him mixed up with Charles Winchester or Mr. Howell.

8. Therin of Andor

Which is so easy. ;)

My favourite perpetuated trivia typos:

People think that Joan Crawford once played "The Devil" in the 60s "Batman" series. In fact it was due to a typo on a carnival machine trivia card. John Crawford played "Printer's Devil", a villain's goon.

Many trivia books give The Munsters' address as "43 Mockingbird Lane", rather than 1313. (Or did it change during the series?)

9. Levilabr

Levilabr Cadet Newbie

1097. Which popular comedian played the emergency medical hologram mark II? The true answer is Andy dick A. But the computer says C, Conan O’Brien . This was helpful because it confirms the truth. I’m was Not discrediting.

10. Levilabr

Levilabr Cadet Newbie

In that episode Tom Paris reaches warp ten in the delta flyer only on the holodeck. Because he succeeded janeway wanted to tag along on the the real test. They reach Warp 10 and it fast tracks their evolution. They become lizard people because of this, and they start new life on an alien world.

Technically in the alternate universe from deep space nine they can make it to warp 37. Voyager eventually gets home due to borg trans warp conduits. Not only is warp just a stepping stone on the ability to travel faster, it’s archaic in terms of space travel... they did achieve warp 10, but they
    Didn’t protect space time

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, but "Threshold" made it explicit in dialogue that "reaching warp 10" meant achieving infinite velocity:

http://www.chakoteya.net/Voyager/212.htm
    (This is because travel time is distance divided by velocity, so as velocity goes to infinity, travel time goes to zero, which is equivalent to occupying both starting point and destination at the same time. But any nonzero number divided by infinity is zero, thus at infinite velocity it takes zero time to cover any and all distances, therefore you occupy every point at the same time.)

See, this is why it was dumb to call infinite speed "warp 10." Applying a finite number to infinity just confuses people because they don't understand it's meant to be infinite.

Also, the problem with the idea of "reaching warp 10" is that you can't reach infinity, by definition. The word "infinite" is Latin for "unending." It's not a destination, it's a direction, something you endlessly head toward and never get any closer to. If you accelerated at warp for a hundred trillion years, you'd be exactly as far from infinite speed as you were when you started, because infinity is not reachable, ever. There is no point on a graph you can ever label "∞" -- just an arrow pointing in that direction. After all, if infinity were a point, you could go beyond it, and it wouldn't be infinity.

So the very premise of "Threshold" -- that Warp 10 is an actual reachable velocity -- doesn't make physical or practical sense. The only way I could ever rationalize it in my head was that the shuttle didn't actually accelerate to infinite speed in the "normal" warp-acceleration way, since that would've taken an infinite amount of time. Instead, the "transwarp threshold" that the characters talked about had to be some kind of quantum leap, an instantaneous transition from a finite velocity state to an infinite one. But then, that's not actually a speed at all, it's just nonlocality, becoming an entity that occupies the entire universe simultaneously.

I always figured that the nonlocal "transwarp state" they entered must've been the Q Continuum or something connected to it, and that the whole "salamander evolution" thing was just some Q-induced effect to scare mere mortals off of dabbling in the Q's domain.

But then the writers themselves essentially declared the episode non-canonical, so I just ignore it these days. Although I've considered the possibility that the first test flight actually failed and everything after it was just a dream/hallucination Tom had before the Doctor brought him out of it offscreen.