Obsessed w/ British Detective Shows

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by antichristhill, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Veronica Hobbes

Veronica Hobbes Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think most of them have been mentioned.

I never watched Inspector Morse but I really liked Lewis. I've also never seen Endeavour either, I should give it and a couple others ago, as I've not seen all of the ones listed.

I love Silent Witness but I prefer it from S8 onwards.

There's another one actually that I've just thought of, I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, as there quite a few pages to get through, so if it has then I apologise. But there was a series I used to love watching, It's not on anymore but it was really good.

Waking The Dead

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I loved Waking the Dead, there was actually a spin off, The Body Farm. It only ran for one season though, and wasn't very good.

3. antichristhill

antichristhill The Blooness Premium Member

Started a "new to me" show on Amazon called "Unforgotten, " starring Nicola Walker-- who is everywhere these days. Just a few episodes in, but hubby and I are really enjoying it so far.

KimMH and Serial thread killer like this.
  4. Elephant999

Elephant999 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can recommend Line of Duty.

Relayer1 likes this.
  5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just recorded a Vera out of curiosity. Anyone got any opinions on it ?

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't watched it personally, but members of my family enjoy it.

7. antichristhill

I really enjoyed series 1 but only got to see part of series 2 before it was yanked from my service. May have to get the DVD to see the rest.

8. trickortreat1701

trickortreat1701 Captain Captain

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Vera is good. Just finished watching Series 9, it deserves more than four episodes a series! Brenda Blethyn as Vera is excellent. :)

And by chance, while checking out what to watch to clear the Sky box, caught the first episode of Series 5 of Shetland. Hadn't planned to, and realising it was based on another Ann Cleeves series, wound it back to the start. Glad I did. Will watch the new series and then go back and find Series 1-4!

My partner and I watch WAY too much crime dramas! But like she says, we get to see the bad guys getting caught, and in todays sometimes depressing world, that is a good thing in entertainment.

With people talking about needing too many subscriptions to watch stuff (I agree), a question. Is there an equivalent to Freeview in the US? I know you have more channels than the UK, just curious.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

just keep in mind that Season 3 & 4 (and it looks like the same for 5) aren't based on the books but written for the series and it's one mystery that goes over the entire 6 episodes.

Though according to wiki, Cleeves released a new Shetland novel in 2016 and last year so maybe they'll make it into a future series.

10. trickortreat1701

Yes, I knew about that, but no problem. And I believe Vera is the same? I've enjoyed all the episodes I've seen, although I might have missed Series 1.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  11. trickortreat1701

@auntiehill

With regards to Taggart, the earlier series are the ones to look for, when the story was in two or three parts. Somehow, the last couple of series with a complete story per episode weren't the same.

Another one I just remembered is Hidden, from the makers of Hinterland (which I haven't seen). An eight part story, both English and Welsh language, it's really good.

antichristhill likes this.
  12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worth seeing. Though it isn't initially obvious, each season builds on the prevoius ones (the last half hour of season three is astonishing, while season four ends with shots of a case board showing characters from as far back as season one). Season five starts in April, season six may be the wrap-up.

antichristhill likes this.
  13. antichristhill

Thanks! I just need a way for my broke ass to get a hold of it. :lol:

I really enjoyed what I got to see of it.

14. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jed Mercurio basically says that it'll run as long as the BBC want, but if the next season isn't commissioned he'll write the current one to end it and wrap up all the loose ends.

15. antichristhill

Been watching the mini-series " The Silence", starring Douglas Henshall. Loved him in "Shetland" so hubby found this for free on Amazon.

16. antichristhill

Woo-hoo! Acorn TV is having a free "watch-a-thon" on Comcast. I can finally watch more of Line of Duty. I'm currently making my way through season 2.

KimMH likes this.
  17. KennyB

KennyB Rear Admiral Premium Member

Just started The Bay and new Line of Duty myself........

18. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Vera has that kind of British sense of the ordinary, in fact kind of a drab tone yet some of the scenery is beautiful and earthy. Not the village charm of a Midsomer Murders or the city feel of The Bill. Vera herself has this childlike voice, almost whimsical. It's a pretty good watch.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've watched a couple now pet. I rather like them.

Now you run along love...

;)

20. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny :lol: My Dad used to call me 'pet' and there was a time where you couldn't be a butcher unless you called all your customers 'love'.

Relayer1 likes this.