Spoilers 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' series [Spoiler Discussion]

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Reverend, May 20, 2022.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ngl, I'm kinda disappointed Jar Jar didn't appear lol. But that's only because in the old Obi-Wan scripts (before they threw them all out because they thought they were no good which caused them to rewrite the whole show) there was a cameo by an old Jar Jar with tendrils as a beard instead of facial hair.

Anyway, I'm sort of scratching my head as to why Obi-Wan let Vader live. YES I know Vader had to live in order for the Original Trilogy to happen.....but putting that aside, if we're going for an in-universe explanation, why would Obi-Wan not kill him right then and there when he had the chance? Did he know that Anakin was always in physical and emotional pain and therefore wanted Anakin to keep suffering? If that's the case, that makes Obi-Wan a coldhearted bastard since he should've put Vader out of his misery. By doing so, he would also have have done the galaxy a great service. True, if Vader had died the emperor would've found another apprentice but still, it would've made things a lot easier for the rebellion for a while.

Also, how did Reva survive after getting stabbed by a lightsaber? I think I missed something there.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because Obi-Wan still has attachments. He can't let go, and that will be his journey now.

How did Reva survive? How did Maul survive? Grand Inquisitor? "The Dark Side is path to many abilities some would consider unnatural."

The Rock likes this.
  3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Jones didn't voice Vader. Like Luke Skywalker in Book of Boba Fett, Vader's voice was done entirely by AI.

4. The Rock

Turtletrekker and jackoverfull like this.
  5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, hyperspace travel has been extremely fast in SW for quite awhile. It's perhaps most noticeable in the prequels, ROTS in particular.

jackoverfull likes this.
  6. Timby

7. The Rock

Hmmm, could it be a bit of both (where they used both Mark and JEJ, but then they used that Respeecher thing to make them sound younger)?

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Timby

It's pure Disney marketing. Hamill himself said he didn't say a line of dialogue for Book of Boba Fett.

Kor likes this.
  9. The Rock

Oh, gotcha. I'll be damned.

10. Timby

Like I said, Disney marketing machine at work. It's like how they pimped the hell out of Hayden Christensen being back for the series, when he had like three actual minutes of screen time and one of the stunt actors essentially admitted that Christensen wasn't in the suit outside of a few moments.

The Rock likes this.
  11. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is tragic. Absolutely nothing of Mark Hamill is in his so-called "appearances."

12. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not really surprised. The last time I heard James Earl Jones voice Anakin in "Rogue One", he sounded his age.

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The AI for Luke sounded lifeless and robotic. I didn't think that worked so great. But in Vader's case, since he's "more machine now than man," it was exactly right.

The disturbing content warning at the beginning of Ep 6 was new. I don't remember seeing that on any of the other episodes. And Vader going on that killing rampage in the mining town previously was pretty disturbing.

I thought this was a solid way to wrap things up while setting up for the Original Trilogy. And Obi-Wan finally gets to have that training from Qui-Gon that Yoda told him about way back in ROTS! If there ends up being a season 2 with Obi-Wan going on more space outings and encountering Vader yet again, that would be rather contrived. I still think this whole project would have been better as a 2.5 hour movie with a tighter storyline. While I enjoyed this series overall, I thought the plot tended to meander. And the repeated use of shaky cam made me want to throw up. :barf2:

In that final duel, Obi-wan stabbing at the control thing on Vader's suit, and then making that saber smash to Vader's helmet, was probably meant to be fatal. The blow to the head certainly would have been to anyone else not wearing that armor. But since it instead left Vader in a weakened, injured state and no longer an immediate threat to Obi-Wan, perhaps Obi-wan felt that making a killing blow at that moment would amount to a cold-blooded execution, and would contradict Jedi ethics. Kind of like when Mace had Palpatine at his mercy and was about to end him, but Anakin objected, saying "It's not the Jedi way." Whatever Anakin's motives or internal conflict, he did have a point there. "A Jedi uses 'The Force' for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

Kor

jackoverfull and Sketcher like this.
  14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

There was one on the fifth episode for me, in addition to this one. I think it's been added to the premiere, too, I'm pretty sure it's specifically related to the flashbacks to the attacks on the Younglings.

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Kenobi's "Twisted and evil" line is read as firm belief (and a bit of disgust), not that he was sitting around thinking "well, we have no choice, but its sad that we have to kill Vader", or concerned that Anakin fell to the dark side. From the way the OT presented it, Kenobi had no doubts Vader was pure evil. Then, there's the following exchange:

Luke: "I can't kill my own father."

Obi-Wan: "Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope."

The belief behind that hope was not one of possible salvation, but of death for Vader.

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it was added on recently in response to viewer feedback or something.

Kor

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

Kor likes this.
  18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    For me the fourth episode at the Fortress Inquisitorius was my least favorite. I wish we'd had some followup to the identities of some of the Jedi and Force users being held in the "trophy hall" but oh well. That's how things go sometimes.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the intention is for there to be a connection of some sort between the "trophy hall" and the events of Rebels "Rise of the Old Masters," I'm all for it, and I'd love to see it.

Set Harth likes this.
  20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I figure two are Tera Sinube and Coleman Kcaj but the rest are anyone's guess.