Oberth Class

Hey everyone, I posted a bunch of renders to artstation, if you guys wanna check it out. The main art is this one though :)

oberth.jpg
This just became my new desktop background; looks amazing, and the colors and composition are such that the file names for all the crap on my desktop are still legible.

I have a question, has anyone wondered when the Oberth goes into warp whether the 3 propulsion units would light up blue?

I have a question, has anyone wondered when the Oberth goes into warp whether the 3 propulsion units would light up blue?

FWIW, at the end of "Generations" the Oberth-type ship's warp engines do not glow when going to warp. The other ships accompanying her do have their engines light up blue when going to warp.

"Generations" was set in a different time, so I'd expect the warp SFX would be consistent with that era. The Oberth was originally set in TWOK era and the design itself is very usual, so I wondered if the 3 propulsion units would light up before going to warp and does anyone thought so it did? I would love to see what it would look like.

If you go with the lowest structure being a nacelle (superscout/) then I imagine so. Some would hold that structure is more like a towfish sensor platform
https://fennenterprises.com/sidescan-sonar-101
Maybe, another thing I was thinking this design was part of the new line of fleet vessels which would handle transwarp advances.

FWIW, at the end of "Generations" the Oberth-type ship's warp engines do not glow when going to warp. The other ships accompanying her do have their engines light up blue when going to warp.
The engines on the Miranda-class ship don't glow when they go to warp in Generations. Come to think of it, I can't recall seeing the inboard grilles of the Miranda ever light up, at least not when they were using the filming model originally made for TWOK (I know the VFX folks gave the CGI version used in DS9's Dominion War episodes with red Bussard collectors and blue glowing grilles inside and out.)

The engines on the Miranda-class ship don't glow when they go to warp in Generations. Come to think of it, I can't recall seeing the inboard grilles of the Miranda ever light up, at least not when they were using the filming model originally made for TWOK (I know the VFX folks gave the CGI version used in DS9's Dominion War episodes with red Bussard collectors and blue glowing grilles inside and out.)

You're right! I just checked a clip on YT and the Miranda-class also didn't glow when going to warp. The filming model (IIRC) didn't have any inboard lighting on the nacelles so yeah it didn't glow until the CG version came out.

"Generations" was set in a different time, so I'd expect the warp SFX would be consistent with that era. The Oberth was originally set in TWOK era and the design itself is very usual, so I wondered if the 3 propulsion units would light up before going to warp and does anyone thought so it did? I would love to see what it would look like.

Maybe, another thing I was thinking this design was part of the new line of fleet vessels which would handle transwarp advances.
I wonder if it was related to the Magellanic Cloud class….with two for nacelles…

Back