Now On-line! "Distant Echoes" part one - a Star Trek fan production

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Newly appointed as the commanding officer of the Tristan, Captain Eva Privette finds herself in an unusual situation: isolated from the ship, surrounded by an energy field, and being interrogated by an alien entity who has chosen a disturbingly familiar form for its appearance.

Starring Kimberly White as Captain Privette, Haley Barnes as Comm Officer H'ressa, Leslie Lewis as Security Chief Asherah, Moody as Chief Engineer Mycroft, Charles Rogers as Tactical Officer Valin, and Christin Woods as Science Officer T'Noshi. Guest starring Taylor Hudson as the Interrogator. Featuring Cheryl Sahawneh as Helmsman Kitain, Trevaris Small as Engineering Ensign, and Alex Williams as Navigator Johnson.

Written by Eddie Johns. Directed and Edited by Randall Landers. Music by Tony Lunn. VFX by Ross Trowbridge and Randall Landers. Assistant Producer: Lee Drew. Associate Producer & Webmaster: Michael Day. Producer: Dave MacKenzie. Co-Executive Producer: Rick Foxx. Executive Producer: Randall Landers.

T14
    From the Starship Tristan Creative Group
    Produced by Potemkin Pictures

CorporalCaptain and cooleddie74 like this.
  2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked this fansilm and really interested to see what happens to the Captain and Tristian crew in part 2 soon. Welll acted and intriuing story.

cooleddie74 and Potemkin_Prod like this.
  3. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks, Reanok! This is the first Potemkin Pictures productions that ended up being cut into two parts in accordance with the official fan film guidelines.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Not bad. :)

Potemkin_Prod likes this.
  5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I wonder who wrote it? ^^^ I wonder why this is not mentioned. :)

6. Maurice

I watched this right away. Congrats to @cooleddie74 on his freshman turn having a script produced.

A few observations.

The Good
    • The overlapping dialog. More of that would have been welcome.
    • Christin Wood's performance as T'Noshi's is the most natural in the show
    • Some of the framing on the bridge is pretty good, especially the "stacked" shot at 7:54
    • The eyelines and directional continuity are mostly right. This has been an ongoing issue in these productions and it's nice to see it done correctly
    The So-So
    • Why does no one reply to the Captain during her initial dialog? There are pauses there which cry out for a comm voice reply.
    • Seeing the back of T'noshi's head for an extended period while she's talking is... distracting.
    • The alien environment looks a bit like a screensaver and Privette never reads as though she's actually present in it. If asked, I would have suggested slightly tinting the live action footage with the colors from the setting to "marry" the elements. I'd have also recommended overdriving the whites on the alien to make his suit blow out a bit.
    • While I like the stacked shots sometimes the framing is just a tad off, as at 7:50 where T'Noshi is almost obscured by the navigator's hair while there's unnecessary space between the navigator and helmsperson. Nudging the camera left a couple of inches would have fixed this.
    • Relatedly, the camera tripod head ought to be cranked up or down a bit to minimize the situations where characters in the background have only part of their heads in frame.
    The Not Good
    • Sound remains an ongoing issue: echoey, hollow. I suspect it's the wrong kind of mic or the wrong setting on the mic
    • The cut from the (overlong) shot over the saucer at the alien "ship" to it on the viewscreen (~3:10) is awkward because it's the same exact background and the ship vanishes so the viewer "frame" suddenly pops over it. This is a classic jump-cut that is easily avoided: the shot should have been reduced in size to fit inside the viewer frame.

Hope to see further improvements in future installments. :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  7. Potemkin_Prod

Congratulations to the casts and crews of "Distant Echoes" -- this production has been made an official selection of the James Bond III Film Festival Christian Edition fo 2018.

This festival is being held on December 7-9, 2018, in Springfield, Kentucky, at the Opera House. More details to come!

If you're a cast or crew member and would like to attend, please contact me so I can get you that information.

Again, congratulations to you all!

[​IMG]

jespah and cooleddie74 like this.
  8. cooleddie74

:adore:

WOW. I'm...a little speechless.

9. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Great kid! Now don't get cocky! ;)

CorporalCaptain and cooleddie74 like this.
  10. cooleddie74

"I'll try not to!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi, Avengers 2: The Hobbit

11. Maurice

Well, congrats on that.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  12. cooleddie74