Not a Drill: SETI Is Investigating a Possible Extraterrestrial Signal From Deep Space

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by timtonruben359, Aug 29, 2016.

1. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I also like how "I was speaking from experience" matters when his six months totally equal the years I've been driving in Italy and Germany. :p

Plus Southern Italy is not the same as Italy.

I hear people in Mississippi don't drive like people in NYC.

2. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

Forgive me for saying so but saying that people that don't follow the traffic rules are more aware of what's going on, than just actionable road hogs, is simply incredibly biased on your part. You remind me of these abused spouses who say that whatever their husband/wife did to them, "they meant well".

3. { Emilia }

You excel in writing inappropriate and offensive things.
    I don't forgive you, no. Your posts are often unpleasant, hostile and arrogant. Comparing me to a victim of domestic violence is just another low in your long list of lows.

There's a big cultural difference between Northern and Southern Italy. And that leads to people from the North finding traffic in the South stressful. I do prefer the Northern way, I said that.

4. locutus101

You know you should really take the time to actually read a post before answering to it.

5. locutus101

I am as soft spoken, as can be. If I were more of a diplomat, I'd be lying. Is that what I am expected to do, lie?

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    You should consider calling someone who brings evidence to a discourse an abused spouse for the temerity of disagreeing with you rather ignorant. Your anecdotes are not proof of anything other than you were involved in traffic incidents.

7. locutus101

I'll have to remember that. No one is ever taken at their word here unless they are agreeing with others.

8. { Emilia }

I'm not even sure why he's digging his heels in. Statistics clearly prove that driving in Italy is safe, in fact safer than many other countries. "Italians are bad drivers" is an ignorant stereotype.
    Anecdotal evidence from one region he has spent six months in says absolutely nothing about "Italians in general". Heck, it varies so much even in other countries. People in Berlin have a different way of driving than people in Cologne.
    Yet, he made a general statement and that statement just looks very stupid once the facts come in. He could've decided to own up to that but digging his heels in is more fun I suppose.

It's tedious how much people insist on their anecdotal evidence as valuable objective experience. You could also say he had a string of bad luck in Italy since statistics don't support his argument but of course he wouldn't accept that.

I don't think it's hard to address and criticize people's posts (even harshly like I did with your asinine post) without making ad hominem attacks. Yet it seems you have to be reminded of that rule frequently.

9. locutus101

Once again you didn't read what I said, you're already answered to strawmen a couple of itmes. I said that calling someone that breaks the rules other than a rule breaker is incredibly biased. And I'd like to see someone make a case like that in court. I'd be laughing all the way to the bank on that one.

10. locutus101

I didn't make any Ad Hominem. I just commented on what you said not you personally. Maybe you don't know what Ad Hominem means.

11. { Emilia }

I did say they break the rules. And statistically the fact that they drive based on awareness instead of rules seems to work relatively well for them. I don't think it's the right way and it surely stresses me out at times when I'm there.

I also wouldn't be surprised if road fatality statistics for Southern Italy are worse than they are for the North. But that doesn't really help your generalized asinine statement "Italians are bad drivers" either.

12. { Emilia }

And of course you had to bring the person into it by comparing me to an abused spouse. Your posts are full of these excursions in bad taste.

As a reminder: Repeatedly claiming people fail to read your posts properly and they don't know certain words is also pretty inflammatory. We are perfectly able to read and we all understand the terms you use. We just disagree with the nonsense you write.

13. Gov Kodos

You claimed your anecdotal evidence proved Italians were bad drivers. Statistics done by professionals proved otherwise.

This doesn't help at all.

14. { Emilia }

And it could've ended here, right? :p
    What a missed opportunity!

15. locutus101

In case you were wondering. The part I bolded is an Ad Hominem.

Physician heal thyself.

16. { Emilia }

No. Calling your statement asinine is criticizing your statement, not you. That is a simple rule on this site. Attack the post, not the poster. I encourage you to internalize that.

17. Gov Kodos

She described your post. You described her as an abused spouse. Only your post is the ad hominem.

18. locutus101

I'd be surprised if anything did.

19. locutus101

I never said anything about you personally.

Quote me on that.

20. Gov Kodos

Once you see your anecdotal experience is not true for all Italian drivers as shown by the statistics everything will become clear.