Spoilers Nope - Review and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 23, 2022.

?

Rate Nope

1. A+

16.7%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

16.7%
  4. B+

33.3%
  5. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. B-

16.7%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

16.7%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope is the new alien horror movie from Get Out and Us writer/director Jordan Peele, and follows OJ Haywood, Hollywood's only black horse trainer, his sister Emerald, and several other characters as the deal with the arrival of a UFO.
    Cast:
    • Daniel Kaluuya as OJ Haywood, Otis' son
    • Keke Palmer as Emerald Haywood, OJ’s sister
    • Steven Yeun as Ricky "Jupe" Park, a former child actor and owner/creator of the carnival "Jupiter's Claim"
    • Brandon Perea as Angel Torres, a tech salesman at Fry's Electronics
    • Michael Wincott as Antlers Holst, a famous cinematographer
    • Wrenn Schmidt as Amber Park, Jupe's wife
    • Keith David as Otis Haywood Sr., the owner of Haywood Hollywood Horse Ranch
    • Donna Mills as Bonnie Clayton
    • Barbie Ferreira as Nessie
    • Eddie Jemison as Buster
    • Oz Perkins as Fynn Bachman
    • Devon Graye as Ryder Muybridge, a TMZ reporter
    • Terry Notary as Gordy, a chimpanzee and star of the sitcom Gordy's Home
    • Andrew Patrick Ralston as Tom Rogan, who plays Brett Houston on Gordy's Home
    • Jennifer Lafleur as Phyllis Mayberry, who plays Margaret Houston on Gordy's Home
    Trailers:

This is a awesome movie, my mom doesn't like horror and even she really liked it. It has fantastic performances by the whole cast, some really creepy sequences, and a pretty good reveal about the UFO towards the end. One thing that I liked is there are a lot of little things that come up that seem to be kind of random, but end up tying really nicely into what's going on with the UFO.
    Definite A+ from me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I just saw it tonight. Another great from Peele. I really loved the reveal about the UFO, the scene where it becomes clear what's going on is probably one of the more horrific things I've seen in a movie.

gweeps likes this.
  3. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

4. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A slow burn until it wasn't. Excellent overall. Creepy, especially both the alien and the chimpanzee parts.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read on either IGN or EW yesterday that it sounds like we might be getting more movies or something set in the world of Nope. Apparently there is a character in one of the trailers who ended up being cut from the final movie, and when he was asked about it Jordan Peele said their story will be told somewhere else. He also said they're not done telling "these stories".
    I would definitely be up for more stories set in this world.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I went into that one absolutely blind and I'm glad I did, it was a lot more than I was expecting. Pretty amazing movie really and beautifully shot too. Plus Michael Fucking Wincott! Steven Yuen was really good as well.

"TMZ Guy" was a bit much though lol. The movie gets pretty crazy after that.

All those people complaining about how Hollywood is nothing but superhero movies really should check it out. Though I admit I discounted as probably being just some horror movie though. I've been sitting on "Us" as well I probably should look into that now.

I could see where nitpickers would probably tear this one apart but the ride was good enough that I could run with the dream logic and get sucked into the whole atomosphere of it all.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Indeed!

Saw this a few weeks ago on IMAX and definitely a film that rewards seeing it on the big screen. Definitely a slow burn but when it kicks into gear, boy does it kick into gear! Very original and not remotely the film you think it's going to be, and I'm looking forward to watching it again with hindsight.

In particular
    Wincott's obsession with watching animals kill and eat other animals explains his insane actions at the end! And for a while you're wondering what the hell the chimp has to do with it but again makes perfect sense once it all comes together.

And Daniel Kaluuya needs to make more films where he rides a horse because he looked cool as fuck!

Having really enjoyed Get Out but been disappointed by Us for me at least it's nice to see a return to form for Peele (I appreciate I'm in the minority when it comes to Us :))

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post that I loved, was that their whole plan at the end was based around OJ's experience training their horses. I would love to get a real life horse/animal trainer's opinion on all of that.

Starkers likes this.
  9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where is everyone watching this? I've checked Dutch versions of Netflix, D+ (we have STAR as part of D+), Prime, HBO Max.... None of them have it.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I saw it at the cinema in August (UK)

Mage likes this.
  11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Saw it on Saturday, having gone in deliberately knowing as little as possible beforehand (didn’t even know the great Wincott was in it). Really loved it, as did my wife and daughter. It was possibly a bit overlong, as most films are now, but held the attention regardless. The cast were great & you really did worry about the fate of the main trio.
    Someone pointed out that it’s a bit like Jaws, with Wincott in the Quint role, which I hadn’t thought of until after, but can definitely see it.

Starkers likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mom and I saw it it's first weekend in theaters back in late July.

Mage likes this.
  13. Mage

It seems I'll have to wait a bit longer for a home release.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't watch these until after you've seen the movie.
    Is it just me or has Jordan Peele become a director caricature from a Key and Peele sketch?
    https://ew.com/movies/nope-burning-questions-explained-jordan-peele-ending-gordy/

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hHOwQeLH7Ck

I looked online and there's a weird thing where I guess Peacock can stream it 45 days after theatrical release but no longer than 120 days. So it will stream there sometime between now and Nov 18 apparently.

It's currently streaming on Amazon for $20 as one of those special "still in theaters" releases they do. Not sure when it will reach normal VOD for rent.

15. Mage

Streaming rights might also be different internationally. I'm from the Netherlands, so maybe it'll be a while before we get it.