Nintendo NX and Mobile Developments

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kelthaz, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think so tbh. I think it'll be closer to late 2016-2017 before moving on.

It doesn't sound like a new console per say either. Just a merging of the platforms. Of both handheld and console in some way.

2. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

But how could they merge two totally different platforms without a new console? I could see the new console being the successor to both the Wii U and DS line in some way but it will still be a new console.

3. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Fair point. Maybe it's more of an upgrade in regards to the technology?

But I don't think it'll be coming out right away.

4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^If the are showing it at E3 in 2016, then there is a very good chance it will launch in 2017, this is no doubt why Zelda has now been delayed, for the sake of holding it back for another year they have got themselves a system seller on day one, and i cannot really blame them, Zelda is one of their biggest franchises, and i think they have learned their lesson with the Wii-u when it comes to launching a console with no real systems seller, the wii-u launch games were just awful with Mario U being the only first party title if i remember correctly.

Horrible to think the Wii-u is coming up to 3 years from, launch and still no Zelda, F-Zero, Metroid, pilot wings, and although Starfox is slated to appear on the Wii-U, i really do think this will end up on the next console instead, as 2017 for their next console launch is really nothing in terms of time, but what a launch that console will have if these games are indeed held back to launch it. :eek:

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

This speculation is silly really. We've known for months Nintendo have a new console in development. The truth is the ideas are always flowing on what comes next, background, R&D stuff, not full flow production for release but the PS4 was in development from not long after (possibly even before) the PS3 was released.

NX could be anything, could be the next gen handheld, could be the next gen home console, could be some hybrid. It could be aimed for Q4 2016 or could be 2018/19/20. They were reassuring their investors that the move in to mobile games wasn't the end of the console business. And since when is announcing that they're making the best game they can make an announcement that it's been indefinitely delayed for the next console?

6. Haggis and tatties

^^People are only having a friendly discussion about it, nobody is stating anything is set in stone, just a freindly discussion and some speculation, nothing more bud, nobody is hurting anybody. :)

7. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

Yeah but I can't imagine the next Nintendo platform NOT launching in 2016 or 2017. The Wii U is selling really poorly and there's no reason to stick with it for a full 5 years or more. Getting their next console out ASAP is the smartest thing Nintendo can do right now. They are even in a position to one up Sony/MS in hardware specs because they wont be able to launch a new console for many years. They won't because this is Nintendo and instead they will try to be really different. Worked out well with the Wii/DS, not so much with every other console they've tried it with.

As for the Zelda, I don't see why this wouldn't be Twilight Princess all over again. That was a late Gamecube game that wound up launching on the Wii slightly earlier.

8. Bob The Skutter

Just chipping my thoughts in. Given people, in general online not necessarily here, are so eager for the Nintendo are doomed stuff it gets on the annoying side for people to be jumping to the conclusion that Nintendo are putting off big game for future systems when basically their doing what Nintendo do and putting our games that are polished for their own system.

Would seem silly to me to burn their loyalest fans by putting out a new system so soon, especially when sales have picked up slightly, they're not setting the world alight but Nintendo are back in profit. Getting ready to limp to the end of their generation and launching seems a decent idea, launching something new does too, given DS was supposed to be 'the third pillar' it wouldn't be out of place in Nintendo's thinking either.

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I'll reiterate.

10. Bob The Skutter

How long has that been for now? 10? 20 years?

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I'm pretty sure people have been prophesying the doom of Nintendo since the 1890s, when they were still exclusively making hanafuda cards.

12. Haggis and tatties

We will know for sure if Starfox u also ends up delayed until futher notice.

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

16. Haggis and tatties

I think this means here in the UK this will be roundabout tommorrow, if i remember my time zones correctly, or do i have it backward and have missed it already. lol

17. Bob The Skutter

It's on 11pm tonight in the UK, Midnight in Europe. Unless they don't and it's just one big April Fools.

18. Haggis and tatties

^^Cheers Bob, i am hopeless with these time zone.

19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

20. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Nope. Guess we gotta wait for E3.

The only things that got actual dates are the stuff expected over the next couple months: Splatoon, Mewtwo Smash Bros. DLC, 2nd Mario Kart 8 DLC (which is actually being released earlier than originally planned), etc.

Everything else beyond that was a vague month at best (Mario Maker in Sept.) or just "later this year".