Nimoy & "The Common Cold"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Methuselah Flint, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah! 'Round about '63, folks were writing about how Ebert had gone pro, working for the papers. Here's a review of other fanzines "Rog" Ebert wrote in 1961.

It's always exciting discovering people at the other end of their careers. :)

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  2. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

As a writer myself, it makes no sense to me to write "command deck" instead of "bridge" and "infirmary" instead of "sickbay" when the original terms are both A) accurate to the show and B) shorter. Both of those are valued commodities in journalism.

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think there was a fear that if you sound like you know the subject, you'll be taken for a Trekkie and an unserious person. So he affected to keep the subject at arm's length.

Neopeius and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does Joe Average know what "bridge" means in context? "Command Deck" is the definition. It may not he shorter but it's clearer to everyone not familiar with the term. Yes it's a Naval term but the bridge of a surface vessel is different from the bridge of a submarine.

His choice was sensible.

Neopeius likes this.
  5. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the late '70s, when Star Trek had been very popular in syndication for the better part of a decade? I would guess "Yes."

6. Ssosmcin

Eh, lots of people couldn't be bothered with it. I had to deal with plenty of those people. As popular as the series was, there were gobs of people who didn't watch it or who didn't care for sci-fi. The people who still can't tell the difference between "Trek" and "Wars." It was a cult show regardless.

Those were the folks he was keeping in the loop.

Neopeius likes this.
  7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Thanks a lot. I can't unsee it now. LOL.
    Better than that rock in What Are Little Girls Made Of. Can't stop giggling when watching that episode

Neopeius likes this.
  8. Ssosmcin

Getting back to the "colds" in the cast, I watched to "Obsession" and Shatner's voice isn't the only thing off. He's obviously under the weather, his performance is really shaky. In some scenes he's very low in energy and he really falls back on his tics and pauses. He's in there pitching, but it's not up to his usual standard at that point in the run. It's really a shame, this could have been a great showcase for him.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Methuselah Flint likes this.